You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Post-flop play... hypothetical situation

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm trying to improve my post-flop play. I feel that a lot of the time I could be getting more value out of winning hands. Also, I am aware that sometimes I'm not sure why I am betting, which I know is something that I should always be aware of.

Let's take a hypothetical situation (readless). I understand that strategy will vary according to reads and the table situation but I'm asking about general thinking.

Suppose I'm on the button with AJ and one person limps in. I would raise about 4x here. Let's say the blinds fold and the limper calls.

Flop comes 3 J 7 rainbow. Limper checks.

Would would I do here and WHY?

If I'd missed the flop and it was checked to me I would normally c-bet 60% to 80% of the pot (depending on opponent) quite happy to see my opponent fold and take down the pot there and then.

Do I bet the same here with top pair top kicker? And what do I want my opponent to do afterwards? I am happy for him to fold, or do I want him to call?

What about the turn? How does my thinking change if I feel that I may have gone behind (e.g. K or Q), or if my hand improves (e.g. A or J)?

I know this is a very open question but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    bet for value, you want to be called

if your hand improves keep betting, if a K or Q comes its villain dependent but I prob bet for value again (I check sometimes though and call or vbet river)
  • edited October 2011
    Levels your playing always bet for value, worse J's/under pairs/draws will call
    If your unsure come turn then call for pot control, or b/f

Very unlikely QQ/KK/AA turn up here if limper calls OOP, could be low-mid prs/paint/rag ace/sc's
  • edited October 2011
    If you c-bet around 60-80% of the pot then bet 60-80% of the pot when you hit also. If they fold, you were never getting anything out of them anyway and if they call you have a nice hand and also someone willing to pay you for it. If you show aggression everytime you are in a pot people will get frustrated with you and start playing back at you which obviously allows them to make more mistakes.

Dont give free cards when you think you are in front. If you think you are in front, bet!