You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could anyone recommend a book...?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
[Sorry - this turned into a bit of an essay. Feel free to skip to the summary at the end.]

I've been playing online poker on this site for about 2 years, purely recreationally.

For about 18 months I built my bankroll up from nothing (albeit very gradually), mostly playing DYMs. I admit I was a novice player., but I wasn't making most of the classic beginner errors (e.g. limping into every pot, overvaluing my hand when I'd flopped 3rd pair, not knowing when I'm beaten when there's 4 hearts on the board, etc.) so eI njoyed modest success. (We're talking about £130 profit over 18 months.)

After a spell where I could only just break even (my bankroll was frustratingly stuck at virtually the same level for a couple of months) I endeavoured to improve.

I started reading a lot of strategy guides online, watching videos, participating on forums, etc. Looking back, my game has improved massively. I now play a lot more cash (NL4 and NL8 so far), which is where the improvement has been most apparent. I have more than doubled my profits in just a few months.

However, from posting and reading other posts on this forum it is apparent that I still have a lot to learn. I am hopefully about to move up to NL10. I am aware that a certain no-nonsense style is required for microstakes and that if I am going to move up through the stakes (which is my ambition as my bankroll allows) I am going to have to start to understand more about playing 'proper' poker.

In summary... can anyone recommend a book for someone who understands most of the basics and some intermediate level concepts and can make a fairly consistent profit at low stakes, but who is looking to improve and understand more about intermediate level poker? In other words, I'm not looking for a beginner's guide, but don't want to be completely bamboozled by higher level strategy. Something that would be relevant to moving up to mid-stakes online poker where you're not usually sat at a table full of fish?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I don't think there is really anything worth knowing in any poker boko that is not available online. 

There is plenty of online strategy sites and guides how to play all kinds of ways at all different stakes including solid winning play at low stakes.

It's free, up to date and you can even print it off, laminate it and read it in the bath.
  • edited October 2011
    nah u dont need a book for sky,hit,n hope like the rest of us and u get lucky now and again lol
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Could anyone recommend a book...?:
    It's free, up to date and you can even print it off, laminate it and read it in the bath.
    Posted by Mr_Miyagi

lol

David Sklansky and Ed Miller’s No Limit Hold ‘Em: Theory and Practice

Takes some reading to get your head round but it's worth it
    Whatever books you read never play by the book, just take the info you need and incorporate into your own style. Information is knowledge !!

• edited October 2011
    Harrington on cash games - volume 1 and 2 are very good and helped me enormously.
  • edited October 2011
    Hey mate

I haven't read any cash books but have heard that the Harrington books are decent.

In terms of books for tournament strategy I would recommend the Harrington on Hold em series and Kill Everyone.  Sit n Go Strategy by Colin Moshman and Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed are also good reads.

Do you play live at all?  I play at a home game every week and find that talking to other players can improve your game massively.  
  • edited October 2011
    Poker for dummies is a good read.