You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Getting maximum value from a flopped set?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Since most times when we call with a small pocket pair we are looking to felt the opponent I was wondering if there is any advice/formula for how to do it. In possition it's easy enough dry board = call flop raise turn; wet board = raise flop, shove turn if necessary. But what about out of possition?

Early in a live tournement (blinds 50/100)  I made a raise to 275 from UTG+2 with 22 and got 3-bet to 850 by the button. I called because it's an easy fold if I miss and I could win a huge pot on the right flop. I hit my set on a dry low board (269 I think) so thought checking was the right thing to do. My opponent c-bets so I call and check raise him on the 8 turn. This shuts him down and he folds. I took half his stack in this hand and increased to 1.5x starting stack before the end of level 1. But I can't help thinking that I should have called the turn too and then shipped on the river. Did I blow my load too early? and is it ok to call a 3-bet with a small pocket pair 90BBs deep for another 6 big blinds?

How should you play sets for maximum value out of possition. is check-call, check-raise a reasonable way to do it or can you lead out. I'm sure this is all read-dependant but in general when readless is there a fool-proof way of felting someone when you hit a set. I suspect the best play is to play it like a draw and hope the draw doesn't get there so that when you ship on the end you look as though you have nothing and get called. But does this also require playing missed draws like this every once in a while and losing?

I just ask this because I noticed that most of my money in cash games (according to poker tracker) comes from flopping sets

Comments

• edited October 2011
    IMO once the set is flopped ure only really gonna be paid off with someone who has an overpair to the board , unless its vs a maniac.

Also even with an overpair some players are cute enough to smell a set so you may not stack em anyway.
  • edited October 2011

Very dependant on the pre flop action as to how you go about getting max value from your flopped set and also the texture of the flop/board and is your oppo tight aggro or loose aggro

At NL4 just look for a sign oppo likes there hand and then hit the raise button till it breaks ) 

• edited October 2011
    I think you answer the question in the question... "c-bet flop c-raise turn" the board was dry so imo unless he had a big draw or over pair you extracted the max.