You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Big Buster Open result!!

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Great result   'BigBuster' very well done  coming  3rd in the Sunday Open  ..

"Made up for  ya geeza" 

Nice one and well played    ;)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    I second that too!! after seeing you on the box last night and the advice you gave me today i was routing for ya!!! :) well done fella :)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Big Buster Open result!!:
    I second that too!! after seeing you on the box last night and the advice you gave me today i was routing for ya!!! :) well done fella :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    yes, very well played sir - congratulations (even if you did knock me out!) ;-)
  • edited October 2009

Thanks all. I'm happy with the payday.

A colleague today criticised my play on the final hand - I've had a think and believe my play was sound. From memory, this is how it went. What do you think?

Blinds 40,000/80,000

Player 1 SB chip stack circa 670,000

Player 2 BB chip stack circa 620,000

Me chip stack circa 655,000

I'm thinking that I don't really have 8 big blinds. Each hand costs 40,000, no way will I go below 300,000 so in effect I'm only going to see 8 or 9 hands before I'm in serious trouble.

Anyway, I'm dealy A3o in the scenario above and shove the lot in. After a while the SB calls with QJ, hits his jack and I'm out in 3rd place as no A comes (big blind folding). SB goes on to win comfortably.

QJ is 43% to beat A3, and with the fold equity I think the shove is a good one. In fact, if the SB could see my hand he would have folded! I guess he hoped that I had QT, Q9 or JT.

The criticism was that A3 is too small to move with - maybe A8 or better. The fact that I would have lost with AK, AQ, AT...any hand except AA, KK, QQ or AJ was irrelevant - A3 is just too small to shove in that position.

After thinking about it, I would do it again. But am I right?

• edited October 2009

Congrats Sir - I'm not supposed to be biased, but I was rooting for you, simply because you'd been such a great a 'Phone Guest the night before. I'd have been thrilled beyond words if you had won it.

Your Exit hand was played 100% correctly by you - no question about it,

If you want to compare the merits of your Play, & the player who busted you, ask these two questions.

1) Who went in with the better hand?

2) Is it better to shove with a Marginal, than Call with a Marginal?

You did nothing wrong. To be fair, the guy with JQ is entitled to think his hand could be good, as you would be jamming with any two, given the Blinds.

Your play was standard, perfect, & correct. His Call was not that bad, either. The size of the Blinds cause these situations.

Anyways, well done you!

How much you get? £800+ was it?
  • edited October 2009
    Cheers Tikay. I was starting to 2nd guess myself too. I picked up a nice £851.
  • edited October 2009
    Hi Big Buster

Have to agree with tikay, vwp and well done
  • edited October 2009
    well done on the deep finish :)

i probably dont push there with the stack sizes being so even i beleive you could wait a bit longer,the call was worse than the push though,wp.
  • edited October 2009
    m8 u plyed final tble correctly in my eyes . congrats on 3rd i was close i got 52nd but i played mine badly had 7 bbs 2 allins i call with 55 was up against AQ pocket 10s but i thought if i want to win it if they both had ace high im in with a gr8 shout, i hit the 5 on flop but 10 turn so wd to mycroft who took my chips. anyway m8 wd on ur 3rd
  • edited October 2009
    I am generally thinking that ATC on the BTN = AI.

However in this case, where all stacks are similar, I don't think that you are under much blind pressure.  But we will be next round and A3 is massive 3 handed.  The blinds are so big that the skill goes out the window, and when you push with A3 you are either a marginal favourite or you are crushed.

But it is easy with hindsight, whenever I've run deep and ended up not winning I always second guess many, many hands that have lead up to my felting.

Well done on the deep cash tho :)
  • edited October 2009
    Big Buster  .. for what it's worth I'd  have done the same as you...you have to at that stage ..in fact not have to,    I'd want to !!!!     glk mate nice result   :))
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Big Buster Open result!!:
    Big Buster  .. for what it's worth I'd  have done the same as you...you have to at that stage ..in fact not have to,    I'd want to !!!!     glk mate nice result   :))
    Posted by bennydip2
    You've got busters on the brain! lol ;-)

Well done BigBluster, nice to see a fellow forumer posterings do well and cash very nicely. Cheers!

• edited October 2009
    Well played bigbluster--n1---I think you played it right---no point in raising here----if you think you're ahead, its all in!!