You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good decision or complete stupidity.

edited October 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
  I would like to relate a scenario from a recent DYM.  We are at the bubble situation and all 4 stacks are very similar. I am on the BB and pick up QQ. UTG goes all in, the button folds and the SB calls.  I had a quick look at the stacks and saw that th Sb had only 400 back,less than 1BB. I folded my hand and let them fight it out. UTG showed 10 10, SB showed 55. The tens held up without improving and the SB went out very quickly after.  My reasoning for the fold was that if UTG won the hand i was virtually guarunteed a cash and if the SB won then i would have cashed immediately.  I would be interested in other peoples opinion on this. Do you think i did the right thing? Do you agree with my reasoning? All comments welcome positive or negative.
  Cheers Talon

Comments

• edited October 2009
    It really depends on your chip stack in relation to the others, but yes, it was generally the correct play, especially if one of them tripling up would have put you in danger.

Where possible, let other fight it out. Most of the time there is no need to call when 2 others are fighting.

I folded kings once when 3 people went all in on the cash bubble.
  • edited October 2009
    GOOD DECISION, YOU COULD HAVE BEEN UP AGAINST AA,KK OR AK. DO YOU REALY WANT A COIN FLIP FOR YOUR LIFE, WHEN ONE OF THE OTHER TWO WERE GOING TO GO OUT. IF IT WAS A SIT&GO SCARY, I WOULD HAVE PROBABLY HAVE CALLED, BUT DYM IS A COMPLETLY DIFFERENT GAME.
  • edited October 2009
    I'd fold too for the reasons that you've stated.
    The only other thing that I'd take into consideration is that if I outchip them both then I only need to beat one of them in  a 3-way all-in coup to get into the money and it's unlikely (although not impossible) that I'll lose to both players.
    I'm still folding though.
  • edited October 2009

Standard Fold here, well done. Why fight when we don't need to?
  • edited October 2009
    I agree with the other posters on this one, I'd fold.  In a DYM 3rd place pays the same as 1st so there is no extra value in going for the win.  Once you've folded the worse case senario is a split pot, I don't know the odds on this but I'm guessing it's slim.  Chances are someone is going out or is at least severly crippled and willl be going out very shortly.
  • edited October 2009
    personally i'd have done the same. you're only trying to finish top 3 so why fight in that situation
  • edited October 2009
    Now we just need to get the rest of the site to sit up and take notice.
  • edited October 2009
      Thank you for the responses guys and gals. Even though i had justified it in my own mind, being a relative novice to this game, i needed to know that my thinking was right.
      It is good to hear my mind is working well. And if the legend that is Tikay says i was right how can i go wrong. Thanks again
  • edited October 2009
    SPOT ON PLAY ITS AMAZING HOW MANY PEOPLE WILL GO ALL IN ON A HAND WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OR ODDS JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE A POCKET PAIR
  • edited October 2009
    Yeah, as others have said if you can let others battle it out to get you in the cash in these DYM games then it's absolutely the right play.