You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

One for the Area51ers to investigate/debate

edited November 2011 in Area 51

*other opticians are available

Comments

• edited October 2011

Whilst playing tonight in a tournament I noticed the following...

I was short stacked so was looking for a spot to get my chips in and d/u. The hands are irrelevant (even though I was I massive fav v a big stack and we never win those races blah blah blah). What is strange is the lobby update. I had the table open to the left and the lobby open to the right. I shoved aipf and after a call by another player, the flop was dealt. When the turn card came down (took ages while the RNG made sure I was a gonna blah blah blah), the lobby updated with my exit position BEFORE the river card!! I still had outs on the river btw.

Please guys, before I am blasted by the normal crew, try it for yourselves and see if it happens to you aswell...........

• edited October 2011
    Ive seen this posted once before by someone , never seen it happen myself though and i have the lobby up whenever im single tabling a tourny.

Still voted the top option though as ya need some support ;))
  • edited October 2011
    was there a pause by any chance lol
  • edited October 2011
    Yeh this happens all the time...eversince they did an update to speed up the lobbies.

I dont have the lobby open now when im all-in because of this.
  • edited October 2011

any chance that this could happen in the lobby..before u go all in ;)
  • edited October 2011
    Considering the cards are only "Shuffled" before the hand is dealt, the winner will already be known to the system so  nothing spooky really, must be a bit of a downer to see you've lost before the hand has finished though lol
  • edited October 2011
    Hmmm . . . . never noticed it myself, but I'm sure the OP is correct in his observation.

Evidence of potential foul play? It could of course just be latency in the system response - it takes longer to process the graphics on your PC than numbers in a table. However, perhaps it's sufficient grounds for the AGC to examine the matter in detail to satisfy themselves that nothing untoward is going on . . . . silly me, that'll cost a fair bit to engage an independent software house to examine the underlying code and write a report outlining their findings.

It does, of course, show that although the shuffle may be completely random (I know for a lot of people the jury's out on this one), other resultant actions within the overall software are not, and are pre-determined, ie something happens because the system knows the outcome of a hand before it's played out.

A not unreasonable concern to expect SkyPoker to issue a statement over?

• edited October 2011
    I've seen this before and ......

Last week I was playing a sat and we were down to the last 7 players. I had both my table (obv) and the other open. On my table 2 players were still playing out the hand whilst at the same time, we had all been moved to the other ''final'' table. For a few seconds 3 of us were on both tables at the same time. Spooky but nothing untoward as the outcome was known before the last card was dealt.
  • edited October 2011
    Is that "the outcome was known before the last card was dealt" or before the cards dealt had been displayed on my PC? Big difference me thinks - one is a technical issue of latency, and one is an issue of something happening because the course of play has been pre-determined?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: One for the Area51ers to investigate/debate:
    Is that " the outcome was known before the last card was dealt" or before the cards dealt had been displayed on my PC? Big difference me thinks - one is a technical issue of latency, and one is an issue of something happening because the course of play has been pre-determined?
    Posted by Goethe

The course of play isn't pre-determined - it can't be. The only known factor are the cards to come. If an all-in situation between 2 players occurs then the outcome is at that point known regardless of the displayed cards. If two players go all-in after the flop then the outcome is known before the turn and river cards are dealt. The software can perform the functions of dealing the turn and river cards whilst at the same time moving the remaining players (including the eventual winner of the hand) to the next table and updating the lobby.
  • edited October 2011
    Depends how you look at it I suppose . . . once the cards are dealt, and the all betting rounds completed (and/or absolute commitments made) then the course of future events are pre-determined and the outcome known?

If this game had side bets, ie you could bet on who knocked who out, the arrangement described by posters above, where the results were known and reported before the hands had been played out, could be a real problem.
  • edited October 2011
    What is always known after the shuffle is which hand beats which hand/hands. The unknown factor is the actions of the players. However, once an all-in situation arises the outcome is a known fact. In the time it takes to send and receive information from the server to your computer and perform the remainder of the deal, the software is able to update in a fraction of that time.

The situation of seeing the result before the deal is completed is not ideal but it's not suspect in any way.
  • edited October 2011
    Elsadog and Pokerfail are spot on here imo.

• edited October 2011

So woof woof......are you saying that the flop, turn and river are 'fixed'?

mmmmmm........ponders more
  • edited October 2011
    So woof woof......are you saying that the flop, turn and river are 'fixed'? mmmmmm........ponders more
    Posted by MAXALLY

Yep fixed once the shuffle is completed.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeh like Elsa says. Essentially it's the same as live poker, the cards are shuffled before the hand, if you and another player go all in preflop the winner of the hand will already be "determined" just that the players don't know which cards will fall and therefore, which hand will win. The poker system does know the next cards, so as soon as it's all in, whether that's preflop, on the flop, the turn or the river, the system knows who will win the hand.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeh like Elsa says. Essentially it's the same as live poker, the cards are shuffled before the hand, if you and another player go all in preflop the winner of the hand will already be "determined" just that the players don't know which cards will fall and therefore, which hand will win. The poker system does know the next cards, so as soon as it's all in, whether that's preflop, on the flop, the turn or the river, the system knows who will win the hand.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Any chance the system could very discreetly 'tip me off' that im gonna lose the hand b4 i get me chips in ??
  • edited October 2011
    You'll have to try and seduce it.
  • edited October 2011
    Hmm really interesting and moderately worrying thread.  Interesting that it comes from such a steady player.

Only experience I have had like this is in dyms, where the chat box tells me the bubble has burst prior to the board running.  Which I used to see frequently.

I always assumed this was lag between visual board and chat box i.e money and points awarded.

This thread does add another interesting layer however.
  • edited October 2011
    really interesting thread this, a very good intelligent debate.that brings us closer to a reasonable answer to how the rng may operate.what worries me tho is for argument sake lets say you are right. and the software can be operated to know the possible outcome of a hand. quite possible i think. as players are in the most part predictable when playing abc poker to bet in a certain way.so if this is the case surely its only one small step to set the hands to suit the situation, ie hands approaching the break , bubble, or the start of a large mtt.weather this is legal, or not is another debate. the only way to answer that is for online sites to fully disclose the regulations showing what they can or cant do.i dont think anybody can say that any of the posts in this thread are from whinges. i for one am quite happy to play under the present system, i would just like to see a more transparent attitude to the game by all online operators
  • edited October 2011
    really interesting thread this, a very good intelligent debate.that brings us closer to a reasonable answer to how the rng may operate.what worries me tho is for argument sake lets say you are right. and the software can be operated to know the possible outcome of a hand. quite possible i think. as players are in the most part predictable when playing abc poker to bet in a certain way.so if this is the case surely its only one small step to set the hands to suit the situation, ie hands approaching the break , bubble, or the start of a large mtt.weather this is legal, or not is another debate. the only way to answer that is for online sites to fully disclose the regulations showing what they can or cant do.i dont think anybody can say that any of the posts in this thread are from whinges. i for one am quite happy to play under the present system, i would just like to see a more transparent attitude to the game by all online operators
    Posted by drumahai05
    Gotta agree with all of this , as ya say i am more than happy to play here also , the ONLY question mark would be IF hands were deliberately set up then this would most defo not be fair.
    Not saying this is the case obv as this would be IMPOSSIBLE to prove.
    So as far as im concerned all is well and im happy xx
  • edited October 2011

Cheers for the responses so far peeps.

So IF it is possible that the outcome of the hand is already known, could the software possibly  allocate hands to different players and/or use a set up which would induce betting etc to force a play?

I have read all the RNG threads on here yet I am still unsure of the clarification on any of the above.
  • edited October 2011
    Posted by drumahai05
    just to highlight this post ive just played two games game 1 first hand my alin with jj busted with qq game 2 third hand my qq alin busted by aa. now i would normally have folded these hands but thought i would play them to make a point, im sure most of you have seen this on a regular basis. checked the guys out new players.you may if you wish take the mick i dont really care just wanted to make a point.and just to add insult to injury right on the bubble in the open jk allin qk big chip totally random  point made i think.no analyze needed. mind already made up. its my opinion the game is choreographed from start to finish, and the fun is working out were you lie within that.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: One for the Area51ers to investigate/debate : just to highlight this post ive just played two games game 1 first hand my alin with jj busted with qq game 2 third hand my qq alin busted by aa. now i would normally have folded these hands but thought i would play them to make a point, im sure most of you have seen this on a regular basis. checked the guys out new players.you may if you wish take the mick i dont really care just wanted to make a point.and just to add insult to injury right on the bubble in the open jk allin qk big chip totally random  point made i think.no analyze needed. mind already made up. its my opinion the game is choreographed from start to finish, and the fun is working out were you lie within that.
    Posted by drumahai05
    Well, forgive me for being a cynic, but another way of saying this is:

"I got my money in as an 80/20 dog on two occasions and the most statistically probable event occurred."

To be honest, even if it had been the other way around, and you lost 2,3... even 4 all ins having started as an 80% favourite...well...I'd have to say &*%~ happens! You're looking at a small sample size, it's happened us all and it hurts... it really hurts.

However, you have to be able to look at it without emotion and place it in the context of all your all-in hands from the last 1000 games. Read up on G-bucks/Sklansky dollars. This is a way of calculating the difference between your expected gains (or losses) and your actual gains based on the equity you had in a particular hand. To simplify it, just calculate the Sklansky dollars based on the hand you held and the hand your opponent held (calculating G-bucks uses ranges, difficult on skypoker without tracking software) when all the chips went in. Over time, all the heaters, all the beats, should eventually converge in line with statistical expectations.

I went through a couple of weekends where I just "knew" that JJ, QQ or KK on the bubble of a DYM spelled disaster for me. I lost 7/8 all-ins with KK pre flop, only one of which was against a favourite (AA), and the majority were underpairs or suited connectors - not even rag aces. It hurt, and I was down about 8 buy ins, but on the other side my graph started to go up again and along the way I had A9 suck out on AK etc.

I've yet to notice the "pre river card exit" but it would rub salt in the wound and raises questions on server side latency issues and possible vulnerabilites.
  • edited November 2011
    Complex routing algorithms are used to sychronise time delays on networks.

Lets say for instance we have 3 computers networked togeter.

PC1 sends a time stamped signal to PC2 & PC3 it then calculates the round trip of the signal. If it takes 3 seconds to send and receive a signal from PC2 but takes 4 seconds to send and receive the signal from PC3, it will time stamp it with a difference of 1 second.

"If it did not calculate and adjust the time between PC2 & PC3, then PC2 would see the information 1 second before PC3. So by calculating and adjusting the time delay both PC's are essentially able to see the information at the same time. Although in theory it did not happen that way.

These time stamps are adjusted periodically to enable them to be as accurate to real time as possible.

In the real world of computing and software this is much much more complex than the explaination I have used above and I have really stripped it to its bare bones just to give you an understanding of how it works.

So please don't shoot me. 

Here is an Extracts Taken from D.L. Mills 
    The routing algorithm uses a table called the Host Table, which contains for each host in the network the computed roundtrip delay and clock offset, in milliseconds. In order to separately identify each reference clock, if there is more than one in the network, a separate entry is used for each clock, as well as each host. The delay and offset fields of the host itself are set to zero, as is the delay field of each attached reference clock.  The offset field of each attached reference clock is recomputed periodically.

Hello messages containing a copy of the Host Table are sent periodically to each neighbor host via the individual links connecting them.  In the case of broadcast networks the Hello message is broadcast to all hosts sharing the same cable.  The Hello message also contains a timestamp inserted at the time of transmission, as well as information used to accurately compute the roundtrip delay on point-to-point links.

A host receiving a Hello message processes the message for each host in turn, including those corresponding to the reference clocks.  It adds the delay field in the message to the previously determined roundtrip link delay and compares this with the entry already in its Host Table.  If the sum is greater than the delay field in the Host Table, nothing further is done.  If the sum is less, an update procedure is executed. The update procedure, causes the new delay to replace the old and the routing to be amended accordingly."
  • edited November 2011
    Complex routing algorithms are used to sychronise time delays on networks. Lets say for instance we have 3 computers networked togeter. PC1 sends a time stamped signal to PC2 & PC3 it then calculates the round trip of the signal. If it takes 3 seconds to send and receive a signal from PC1 but takes 4 seconds to send and receive the signal from PC2, it will time stamp it with a difference of 1 second. "If it did not calculate and adjust the time between PC2 & PC3, then PC2 would see the information 1 second before PC3. So by calculating and adjusting the time delay both PC's are essentially able to see the information at the same time. Although in theory it did not happen that way. These time stamps are adjusted periodically to enable them to be as accurate to real time as possible. In the real world of computing and software this is much much more complex than the explaination I have used above and I have really stripped it to its bare bones just to give you an understanding of how it works. So please don't shoot me.  Here is an Extracts Taken from D.L. Mills   The routing algorithm uses a table called the Host Table, which contains for each host in the network the computed roundtrip delay and clock offset, in milliseconds. In order to separately identify each reference clock, if there is more than one in the network, a separate entry is used for each clock, as well as each host. The delay and offset fields of the host itself are set to zero, as is the delay field of each attached reference clock.  The offset field of each attached reference clock is recomputed periodically. Hello messages containing a copy of the Host Table are sent periodically to each neighbor host via the individual links connecting them.  In the case of broadcast networks the Hello message is broadcast to all hosts sharing the same cable.  The Hello message also contains a timestamp inserted at the time of transmission, as well as information used to accurately compute the roundtrip delay on point-to-point links. A host receiving a Hello message processes the message for each host in turn, including those corresponding to the reference clocks.  It adds the delay field in the message to the previously determined roundtrip link delay and compares this with the entry already in its Host Table.  If the sum is greater than the delay field in the Host Table, nothing further is done.  If the sum is less, an update procedure is executed. The update procedure, causes the new delay to replace the old and the routing to be amended accordingly."
    Posted by POKERTREV
    thankyou trev i am now brain dead. and ive got to play a ukops tonight, i think this is a tpt team tactic
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: One for the Area51ers to investigate/debate : thankyou trev i am now brain dead. and ive got to play a ukops tonight, i think this is a tpt team tactic
    Posted by drumahai05
    You should try reading the rest of it if you have trouble sleeping lol.