You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

My game seems to be progressing, but only finding success in certain events

edited December 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm fairly new to poker (been playing about 8 months or so) and have settled on sky as it's much more involving and real than some of the other poker sites out there. I don't have a great deal of money to play with (I'm sensible with my cash) so I play low stakes games mostly. I tend to prefer playing tourneys rather than cash (at the moment) but seem to have got stuck in a bit of a rut with results.

I like playing Bounty Hunters best and will often play a few £2.30 ones a week. A few months ago I was getting fairly good runs and expected to break even pretty much most of the time and sometimes take a few quid extra. I accidentilly played an £11bh about a month ago, ran good and finished 3rd taking approx £100. Since then I've barely got close to breaking even in the £2.30's. Conversely I can't seem to lose at low stakes DYM's (30p or 60p). I think of the last 10 I've played I have probably won 8 or 9. Thing is, the DYM's get a little stale after a while and I'd like to try and get some success back in the MTT's. 

Should I just suck it up and play the bigger buy in's to avoid some of the "raggy ace shovers" that seem to so frequently bust my KK's etc or is it likely that my tight aggressive (70% of the time) type play is better suited to the STT's?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or tips.

Cheers. LH

Comments

• edited October 2011
    For someone thats been only playing 8 months you seem to have your head screwed on, your doing the right thing by playing to a tight br and you should stick with it, dont get caught up in bigger buy ins you will still get the Rag A callers belive me not only that but you will be up against more expierienced players that will know a lot more, learn at the lower stakes first and when you start winning and build up your br and gain that expierence go up a level when you feel comfortable doing it. If you are doing well in one area stick to it and if you like tornys dont expect to win all the time 1 cash outta 16 is good. Stay playing within 5% of your br and enjoy the game if you go up a level and lose you will start to hate it, ive been there and it aint nice. DYM games are a good way to start and you can build up your br gradualy it might take a while and i can understand how you feel about them feeling a bit stale at times. I prefer tornys but you have to try out other things as well. I wish you the best of luck at the tables buddy :) 
  • edited October 2011
    Play the game your beating ie. DYM's - 
    Harder to make money in MTT's anyway, once and while you may get a big score but the variance is such that you will bust out more than you cash
    I would say play at a DYM level where you have 25 buy in's, so £60 should cover you for the £2 games.
    If you find yourself winning money at DYM's then treat yourself to an MTT, and you never know you may hit a big score again but without risking anything.

Rob peter to pay paul :)

• edited October 2011
    Sounds like good advice guys, cheers. I'll prob try and get some steady br going via the DYM's then have a pop at the bounty hunter on sat night or something.

Thanks again.
  • edited October 2011
    If you like Bounty hunters try and satellite into one of the Main events, you can get a seat from as little as £1.05 and IMO if you're good at DYMs you should be decent at sats.

• edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: My game seems to be progressing, but only finding success in certain events:
    If you like Bounty hunters try and satellite into one of the Main events, you can get a seat from as little as £1.05 and IMO if you're good at DYMs you should be decent at sats.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Pay attention to Poker_Fails post here losthornet , you can turn £1.05 into £1k , cant ya Poker_Fail mate ??  ;))
  • edited December 2011
    PF & Debs, thanks for the tips (I know it was a while ago), but I have started playing the satelites and now 3 nights in a row I've got in to the 3k BH from the sats (first attempt each time), couldn't then play in the first, but took a small profit in the second and better in the third. Also top tabled a £600bh too so a nice little week so far :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: My game seems to be progressing, but only finding success in certain events:
    Play the game your beating ie. DYM's -  Harder to make money in MTT's anyway, once and while you may get a big score but the variance is such that you will bust out more than you cash I would say play at a DYM level where you have 25 buy in's, so £60 should cover you for the £2 games. If you find yourself winning money at DYM's then treat yourself to an MTT, and you never know you may hit a big score again but without risking anything. Rob peter to pay paul :)
    Posted by rancid
    I see this comment from different people on different threads fairly often. Maybe that depends on how an individual plays the game?

I've not been hugely successful at grinding a roll up at DYM's, and so far not doing much better with cash. It's been mtt results that have done most to move my (modest) BR up so far.
  • edited December 2011

You must be running well )

In general you will bust more than you cash, so making min or small cashes mean nothing in the long term because your entry fee’s just eat away at your BR.

Especially when your not running very well and the deck hates you !!

If you play with the view that once you have bought in that money is gone and you have the chance or winning lots of money then your half way there.

Not saying your not, but the aim should be to win or at least finish top 6.

That’s why it’s advisable to only play with 1% or less for MTT’s.

Good luck though Harding )

• edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: My game seems to be progressing, but only finding success in certain events : Pay attention to Poker_Fails post here losthornet , you can turn £1.05 into £1k , cant ya Poker_Fail mate ??  ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Lulz i'm a bit late replying to this but some would say it is possible ;)

@LostHornet, nice going in the sats : ) 
  • edited December 2011
    move up to where they respect your raises!