You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should I have folded here

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys. . . . . . any thoughts would be appreciated.

I was playing a Deepstack tournament, at about level 9, with average chipstack of 6,500 . .. . . . a guy goes all in with a chipstack of 4,200 . . . . . my hole cards are AA.

I did consider folding, but called and he had  Q10 . . . . .he won the hand as the cards came 8 9 6 J J.

I guess if the outcome had been different I would still ask the same question, would a fold have been the right thing to do, or is that always a call?

Thanks for your time guys

Jules  (seadragon)

Comments

• edited October 2011
    In Response to should I have folded here:
    Hi Guys. . . . . . any thoughts would be appreciated. I was playing a Deepstack tournament, at about level 9, with average chipstack of 6,500 . .. . . . a guy goes all in with a chipstack of 4,200 . . . . . my hole cards are AA. I did consider folding, but called and he had  Q10 . . . . .he won the hand as the cards came 8 9 6 J J. I guess if the outcome had been different I would still ask the same question, would a fold have been the right thing to do, or is that always a call? Thanks for your time guys Jules  (seadragon)
    Posted by seadragon
    Never fold AA preflop in a tournament, there are some spots in a DYM where it is the right play though.

The ONLY time I can think of where it would be correct to fold Aces would be if you had say 1 single chip (or a fraction of a Big blind at least)and were on the money bubble, it would be best to fold and hope someone busts before you.
  • edited October 2011
    Your very correct if the outcome was different you wouldnt have asked lol

AA is a snap pre in any tourney i would never fold it, if they get lucky so be it. If you are thinking of folding AA to 1 shove pre then poker is not for you.

hope i dont sound too rude but GL at the tables
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here:
    Your very correct if the outcome was different you wouldnt have asked lol AA is a snap pre in any tourney i would never fold it, if they get lucky so be it. If you are thinking of folding AA to 1 shove pre then poker is not for you. hope i dont sound too rude but GL at the tables
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

You don't sound rude, thanx for comment . . . . guess i would never normally consider folding AA, I guess as it was a deepstack, and I was doing fairly well, and building my stack up nicely, I considered it as I wanted to  be making my own decisions, raising, shoving as opposed to calling.

I agree with you essentially about never folding AA, just wondered if that always the right play.

cheers
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here :   You don't sound rude, thanx for comment . . . . guess i would never normally consider folding AA, I guess as it was a deepstack, and I was doing fairly well, and building my stack up nicely, I considered it as I wanted to  be making my own decisions, raising, shoving as opposed to calling. I agree with you essentially about never folding AA, just wondered if that always the right play. cheers
    Posted by seadragon
    Nice one glad you havent took the wrong way, just we get a few standard ones like this which are no brainers ;)
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here : Nice one glad you havent took the wrong way, just we get a few standard ones like this which are no brainers ;)
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Ha . . . realise is a bit of a no brainer!, just i am quite new to the game and just checking out whether that is always a call.
     Thanks for your help.

cheers
  • edited October 2011
    BBY
    Posted by PiAnOpLaYa
    thanks for reply . . . don't understand what BBY means sorry?

Cheers
  • edited October 2011
    You should never fold AA preflop even if you are on the bubble, your goal in a tournament should be to win not min cash. Getting your chips in an 80% fave helps win tournaments lol.
  • edited October 2011
    You should never fold AA preflop even if you are on the bubble, your goal in a tournament should be to win not min cash. Getting your chips in an 80% fave helps win tournaments lol.
    Posted by BigHawk89[/QUOT

get your point, and I always want to win . . . . guess i looked back at it 10 mins later when i was out of the tournament cos was down to 4 BB, and shoved and lost . . .and then had no way of winning anything, that if I hadn't called the AA hand, I would probably still been in, with my average stack and a chance . .

Guess the lesson is to play the hand as it is presented, AA don't fold, most of the time it will win, and the "what if's . ." are irrelevent.

I haven't played many deepstacks, so was probably playing slightly differently than other tourneys where I would have called without thinking twice.

guess a race lost is a lesson learned!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here : thanks for reply . . . don't understand what BBY means sorry? Cheers
    Posted by seadragon
    It means Bad beat yawn mate, dont worry about it you know now. being new is a good enough excuse just learn from it, any time you go in ahead and get outdrawn you've played it well
  • edited October 2011
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Unless your chipstack is so small that you have no realistic chance of coming back eg 1/10 of a Big blind, then it would be the correct fold at the bubble.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here : Unless your chipstack is so small that you have no realistic chance of coming back eg 1/10 of a Big blind, then it would be the correct fold at the bubble.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    No you shouldnt fold Aces just because your on the bubble, unless it was DYM or like 4+ ppl all gone all in even then still i couldnt fold it pre

You play tourneys to win so you should always be getting it in with aces regardless of bubble or the beginning of a tourney, min cashes arent worthwhile as the big money is at the top so go for it!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here : It means Bad beat yawn mate, dont worry about it you know now. being new is a good enough excuse just learn from it, any time you go in ahead and get outdrawn you've played it well
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    Cheers . . . . certainly wasn't crowing about bad beat, that a waste of energy . . . just genuinely trying to learn.

Thanks
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: should I have folded here : No you shouldnt fold Aces just because your on the bubble, unless it was DYM or like 4+ ppl all gone all in even then still i couldnt fold it pre You play tourneys to win so you should always be getting it in with aces regardless of bubble or the beginning of a tourney, min cashes arent worthwhile as the big money is at the top so go for it!
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    You and an opponent go all in, you lose and are left with 1 chip, the blinds are 300/600, you have no realistic chance of coming back to a decent chipstack, this is an extreme example but one where it would definitely be the correct play to fold on the bubble.
  • edited October 2011
    Your too much in dym mindset here poker fail, in a tourney you should not fold a premium hand at the bubble. bubble is the best time to get chips and if you have AA even more so you want to be called because there is a chance of a double or to build you stack to go for the win

Also that example u have given is very extreme
  • edited October 2011
    Don't listen to these guys seadragon, u should be folding this.. you did lose the hand after all
  • edited October 2011
    lol benno shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont be mean!
  • edited October 2011
    Also that example u have given is very extreme
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    It's supposed to be an extreme example, i'm saying that a situation where it would be correct to fold AA preflop in a tourney is very rare, but just about possible.
  • edited October 2011
    The only time you ever should fold AA is if your on the bubble and you know your coasting into the cash and the cash means the world to you then it's ok to fold.

example 1
     you sat into WSOP MAIN for $50, and min cash is $20,000

example 2

min cash is your total BR or more