You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Should I stick to NL4 for now?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
A few months ago I started playing cash (after a long time playing mostly low stakes DYMs) at NL4 level. I was reasonably successful and built my bankroll to a point where I could afford NL8.

My first attempt at NL8 was catastrophic and I was soon back down to NL4.

I built my bankroll back up again and moved back up to NL8. This time I did much better. Playing some NL4 but mostly NL8 I was on the cusp of being bankrolled for NL10 when I hit a horrible run.

I've had nightmare week. Every major pot I get into, I seem to lose. Not so much bad beats - usually discovering I was behind from the start (e.g. running into sets, or unlikely flopped flushes/straights). I don't feel that NL8 plays much tougher than NL4, and I don't feel that I play scared at NL8, but I just can't seem to succeed. I can sometimes build my stack steadily... but then I always seem to blow it on a massive pot.

I've lost almost 20% of my bankroll in a week or so. (I am playing strictly within it.)

My stats since I started playing cash are...

NL4
Hands played... 9784
Profit in big blinds per 100 hands... 21

NL8
Hands played... 1740
Profit in big blinds per 100 hands... -9

Would you suggest I stick at NL8 (as long as my bankroll allows), even though it seems to be cursed for me (albeit over a relatively smaller number of hands)? Or should I just keep grinding it out at NL4 where I seem to be able to show a lot more profit?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    If ure consistently winnin at nl4 then stick with it at the mo , there's really no diff until ya get to nl10/20/30 tbh
  • edited October 2011
    save ur money, log on to NL10 at midnight on a week night sit tight and watch the pennies roll in from all the loose horrific play.
  • edited October 2011
    If you're rolled for NL8 I would stick at it.

You mention you've had a nightmare week where you run into sets/flushed str8s etc, I think it might be best to post some hands up (the big pots) to let everyone see if you're making any fundemental mistakes or if it is just variance/coolers.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Should I stick to NL4 for now?:
    If you're rolled for NL8 I would stick at it. You mention you've had a nightmare week where you run into sets/flushed str8s etc, I think it might be best to post some hands up (the big pots) to let everyone see if you're making any fundemental mistakes or if it is just variance/coolers.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Hiya dudeskin mate , just wondered have ya dropped back to nl10 ?? i have at the mo as well , and have ya been finding it alot easier to get paid ??
  • edited October 2011
    stay at nl 8, you gotta be in it to beat it. your rolled for it. the reason its a min 20 bis is to get over the learning curve of that level.ps to debs and dude (and anyone else who wants to answer) do you ever float between levels. i know it might not be playing to ultra stricked br management but i find it focuses the mind. had 4x nl8 open yest and 1x10 and 1x20, with some good results.
  • edited October 2011
    i dont agree with this "you have £200 so move to NL8" move when you feel like it, i didnt move to NL8 till i got my roll to £400 and im not going to move up again till i hit a grand, im in no rushand  i got enough now to have a bad day or 2 and not be worried about dropping to NL4 and grinding it out there again, it doesn't feel rewarding when you gotta move back down, i think you shoud get your BR to a decent size then go for it! GL
  • edited October 2011
    i dont agree with this "you have £200 so move to NL8" move when you feel like it, i didnt move to NL8 till i got my roll to £400 and im not going to move up again till i hit a grand, im in no rushand  i got enough now to have a bad day or 2 and not be worried about dropping to NL4 and grinding it out there again, it doesn't feel rewarding when you gotta move back down, i think you shoud get your BR to a decent size then go for it! GL
    Posted by bahh
    100BI at NL10 is a little extreme but if its what your happy with!

play where u feel comfortable and if you see easy spots at any level you are rolled for dont b afraid to have a go u can always drop back to NL4 where you know your a steady winner
  • edited October 2011

+1

You need a good start to play 20 buy in’s at a new level. Bad start just crushes you.

I played with the 20 bi rule and it’s not easy.

Not nice yoyo’ing between levels, soul destroying.  At least give yourself a 2 bi cushion.

I am still playing in the main 2xNL4 and 1xNL8 even though a lot of people say you should be playing NL10

Play the next level when you feel ready

• edited October 2011
    Posted by bahh
    sorry i meant £1000 before NL20 :)
  • edited October 2011
    stay at nl 8, you gotta be in it to beat it. your rolled for it. the reason its a min 20 bis is to get over the learning curve of that level.ps to debs and dude (and anyone else who wants to answer) do you ever float between levels. i know it might not be playing to ultra stricked br management but i find it focuses the mind. had 4x nl8 open yest and 1x10 and 1x20, with some good results.
    Posted by pod1
    Float between levels ?? do ya think im a mad lazy mare ??

Of course i do ;))

I played recently a bit of nl30/40/50 and 100 , hows that for good BRM ;))
  • edited October 2011
    On the 20 BI rule I don't see it that cut and fast if I did I'd be 'just about' playing NL20 now. I see it more a case of 20 BI's plus 3-5 extra for a bumper then if you run good that gets up to say 27-30 and you should be fine but if you run bad you reduce down to 20 BI's but still have plenty for level below, like e.g. I am comfortable for NL10 and am attempting to build up again to take a run at NL20.

On bahh's numbers I really don't think you need £400 to start NL8, yes no one's in a rush but that would take a good while at NL4, I'd only think you'd need that many BI's at the VERY high NL50+ levels where it's more advanced and involves making big bluffs and calls regulary where at the micro's that shouldn't really come up very often, well at least not for me lol