You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing hands from the small blind.

Not this particular hand necessarily, but firstly, what sort of range is acceptable to make up the blinds and what sort of pot odds do you need?

To the hand itself, Should i make the blind up? Should i squeeze in this situation and raise? Is it a simple, snap fold pre?

Obviously i havent played the hand to hit the ace, i have played it to hit a monster for approx 0,5% of my stack. I have top pair, dodgy kicker, do i lead out? Do i realise i didnt really play it for this reason and try and control the pot by checking?

Fill your boots, any advice on small blind play would be helpful as its a bit of a grey area that could be a small leak in my game. Thanks.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DrSharp Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.25
AlexM Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.60
  Your hole cards
  • A

lindy Call  £0.04 £0.10 £0.83
BIGVAL88 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.40
DrSharp Call  £0.02 £0.16 £4.23
AlexM Check     
Flop

• J
  • A

DrSharp ???? 

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Tbh this is something I was meaning to ask as I feel I often call too much in SB, only with SC's/SAce's/small pairs that sort of thing but again only when one or 2 people are already in to help odds. Overall though I'm sure it is leaky but I feel if I raise then I'm in terribad position for rest of hand.

So saying that call pre I fine by me.

In limped pot I would lead out and fold to raise.
  • edited October 2011
    At NL4 i'd only try a squeeze play if you've somehow found a nitty table, which is pretty rare at this level.

In a tournament then this would be a good spot for a squeeze.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Playing hands from the small blind.:
    Tbh this is something I was meaning to ask as I feel I often call too much in SB, only with SC's/SAce's/small pairs that sort of thing but again only when one or 2 people are already in to help odds. Overall though I'm sure it is leaky but I feel if I raise then I'm in terribad position for rest of hand. So saying that call pre I fine by me. In limped pot I would lead out and fold to raise.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Totally agree with that. Problem is position. What tends to happen to me is that i lead out between half and 3/4 pot bet (as always whether i hit or not) and i get at least one caller. Then i find myself in a decent sized pot on the turn wiith top pair 6 kicker and i have the decision whether i have to lead out again. If i lead out, i probably get called again, if i check for pot control, then i am facing a possible 'float' bet and it never feels like i am ahead so usually give up. Feels kinda spewy, may as well give up on the flop, but it feels kinda dirty with top pair.

I tend to go through stages on how i play these and cant seem to find the right way to do it.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Playing hands from the small blind.:
    At NL4 i'd only try a squeeze play if you've somehow found a nitty table, which is pretty rare at this level. In a tournament then this would be a good spot for a squeeze.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Lol, yeah, i would need some good reads to get through this amount of people pre flop at NL4. Whats your line in this hand Acidman? (promise i wont make notes!)
  • edited October 2011
    I'd call like you did then probably check call or maybe check raise. Donk betting isn't giving you the option of letting any of the other players from bluffing at the pot so you may lose value.

• edited October 2011
    If anyone else wants to fire a hand from a small blind posn on this thread it would be great as i think i need to have a look at that area of my game. 

Thanks.
  • edited October 2011
    In deep cash I tend to make it up in all non raised pots from SB.  Likely a leak though.

As always though.  If your good post, youre going to be able to lose the min and maximise windows of luck.

As long as you have a clear cut sense of where your going to take the hand I dont think it has to be a bad thing.  It is borderline spew for the majority.  But in the instances where your opponents are going to pay off the connected hand I believe you can make it worth your time over a large sample.  But if the table are good enough to recognise a pure bink flop I may not.

But equally we have to keep some unpredictability in our game.  If we simply 3 bet or fold from the blinds its going to become hard to get paid.

Am usually always going to be happy to pay half a blind getting in the region of 5/1 though.  Even to c/f majority.  All decisions likely to be made on flop where continuing however, unless we pick up a draw worth continuing with.

I dont believe making up the blind Oop has to be a negative thing though.

If a player has the tendancy to pay off with TPNK or not read boards well, then yeah put it on the back burner.  Otherwise it keeps us semi unprecditable and also provides a window of opportunity to get lucky.

• edited October 2011
    I think you should raise this hand pre. Its not really a squeeze if you do, you have a strong holding compared to limping ranges. I dont mind the limp though

If I raised I prob bet that flop, as played I c/c. c/r would be terrible readless imo

In general in deciding whether to call or complete from SB multiway how likely villains are to play badly postflop when you hit is important, as getting paid oop against good players in these kind of situations is tough
  • edited October 2011
    OK, one or two said c/c flop. I guess its for pot control? Thats what i did it for anyway. Dont want to play a big pot out here.

What do i do on the turn?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    DrSharp Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.25
    AlexM Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.60
      Your hole cards
    • A

lindy Call  £0.04 £0.10 £0.83
    BIGVAL88 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £3.40
    DrSharp Call  £0.02 £0.16 £4.23
    AlexM Check     
    Flop

• J
    • A

DrSharp Check     
    AlexM Check     
    lindy Bet  £0.16 £0.32 £0.67
    BIGVAL88 Fold     
    DrSharp Call  £0.16 £0.48 £4.07
    AlexM Fold     
    Turn

• Q

DrSharp Check     
    lindy Bet  £0.16 £0.64 £0.51
    DrSharp ??
  • edited October 2011
    Yh I'd just call again and hope to get cheap bet/check on river.