You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM - Should I know I'm beat here?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic
What do you guys think of this? I know you may say fold pre, but I know everyone else has tightened up with the stacks in this position and with a min-raise I reckon this is definitely working 2/3 times which makes it profitable as long as I let go to a raise or non-monster flop if they call.

Putting pre flop aside, do you think I'm 100% beat here? To be honest, I didnt want the flush to come on the river cos I basically I had the nuts short of flopped quads or the FH, but when it came, could I fold my Jhigh flush.

Now I've had more than 15 seconds to think about it (one of the things I hate about online poker but oh well) I think I can fold here and find a better spot...

Also, I was very shocked to see a Q high flush there, I thought it was nut flush or not at all.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
jimifloyd Small blind   75.00 75.00 2822.50
adam1967 Big blind   150.00 225.00 3805.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

Lambert180 Raise   300.00 525.00 2662.50
STRIPYHORS Call   300.00 825.00 1885.00
jimifloyd Fold        
adam1967 Call   150.00 975.00 3655.00
Flop

adam1967 Check        
Lambert180 Check        
STRIPYHORS Check        
Turn

adam1967 Check        
Lambert180 Bet   400.00 1375.00 2262.50
STRIPYHORS Fold        
adam1967 Call   400.00 1775.00 3255.00
River

adam1967 All-in   3255.00 5030.00 0.00
Lambert180 All-in   2262.50 7292.50 0.00
adam1967 Unmatched bet   992.50 6300.00 992.50
adam1967 Show
  • Q

Lambert180 Show
  • J

adam1967 Win Flush to the Queen 6300.00   7292.50

Comments

• edited October 2011
    When he shoves you have still have >10bb's which is massive in DYM's so that's why it's more tricky.

Being a giant nit I probably fold this but not sure if that's correct, main reason for fold though is so much passiveity up till this point then they suddenly want their whole stack in da middle so bluff or decent hand.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - Should I know I'm beat here?:
    When he shoves you have still have />10bb's which is massive in DYM's so that's why it's more tricky. Being a giant nit I probably fold this but not sure if that's correct, main reason for fold though is so much passiveity up till this point then they suddenly want their whole stack in da middle so bluff or decent hand.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Well yeah I did kinda think it was bluff or nuts, thats why i was so shocked to see his flush was only Qhigh. Really he's only gonna get called by hands that are beating him....except mine lol.
  • edited October 2011
    Tough spot Lamby, but imo a 600 bet on the flop would have been best, the Big stack has checked and you only have a mid stack behind you, if they do call though you've still got some decent outs.

But about the river... ummmmm tough spot, you do have a decent stack and it's a strange overbet shove... It's one of those situations where i'd probably end up crying in the corner than calling and making a note.
  • edited October 2011
    Don't think I can ever fold that river, don't see how you can be beat really. Don't think I can get myself in that spot though, tbh.

Personally, I don't think that's a stealing spot in the first place. You're very comfortable in chips on the bubble in level 5. Secondly, I wouldn't min raise, especially from under the gun, I'd prefer to make it bigger. In the OP you say that you definately see this play working 2/3 times. Well it might be worth re-examining that tbh, maybe there were some clues previously in the game that that figure is incorrect. After all, you get cold-called on the button (maybe not your fault, we don't know what he had) but you get called in the BB with Q4s!!!

On the flop, I think it's a c-bet 100% of the time here. You're the pre-flop aggressor, you've seen one check and you've flopped an uadsd + 2 overcards, I don't know what else we could wish for here really. It's also a great spot to c-bet because of the pot size and your stack size. Your stack is big enough that you can c-bet 5-600 and comfortably give up to resistance. The pot is big enough that your 1/2 pot c-bet will be scary enough to give you a 'true' measure of where you are in the hand. No-one is floating or otherwise messing around when the pot gets that big in relation to stacks. Obviously if you're raised on the flop you go away. If you're flatted you can comfortably shove your stack in (less than a pot-sized bet) when you hit the nut straight on the turn.

I also prefer a bigger bet on the turn but can't really fault your thinking too much. You are quite entitled to think you've got the virtual nuts with redraws to the virtual nuts too.

So no, I can't ever fold that on the river. I do think there are a couple of things worth looking at earlier in the hand, though.

Hope that helps a bit mate.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah that helps alot JC. Alot of points for me to try and take on board. Really my only knowledge of how to play DYMs has come from your guide and obviously my own personal experience of them so I am still definitely learning.
  • edited October 2011
    Oh I didn't realise you had flush on end as well, this makes it an auto snap call for me, thought you just had straight.
  • edited October 2011
    Well i am defo binnin it pre but as played i snap the river ul
  • edited October 2011
    Well here was the problem. I didn't really wanna c-bet the flop as I thought it would make me pretty pot committed if I got callers, but then when the turn comes, I hit my straight AND have a straight flush draw so in my eyes basically have the nuts and so only make it a smallish bet because I don't wanna lose value when I think 90% of river cards don't bother me in the slightest.
  • edited October 2011
    I think when you min it here and get 3 way action you have to half/3 quarter pot it on flop, to avoid this kind of situation on river. 

Its a sigh fold on river for me though
  • edited October 2011
    I'd have shoved turn or raised higher, maybe C-bet flop too. Pot was 975 pre flop and 400 is too weak to protect, I'd bet at least 3/4 pot. You have nut straight with redraw to a decent flush.

If he calls a 3/4 pot bet on turn and leads out with shove on river it's safe to say he has a strong flush, or at least a flush. Granted you'd be left with 1500 chips but that's stil 10BB and a busted player can't cash :D
  • edited October 2011
    I'd have shoved turn or raised higher, maybe C-bet flop too. Pot was 975 pre flop and 400 is too weak to protect, I'd bet at least 3/4 pot. You have nut straight with redraw to a decent flush. If he calls a 3/4 pot bet on turn and leads out with shove on river it's safe to say he has a strong flush, or at least a flush. Granted you'd be left with 1500 chips but that's stil 10BB and a busted player can't cash :D
    Posted by BigRonnieC
    I know it's too weak to protect but I was betting for value not to protect. As you say, I had the nut straight and a redraw to a straight flush so I wanted to keep my customer.

He didn't call a 3/4 pot bet on the turn, 400 of 975 is less than 1/2 pot. He may very well have a flush but the point is, does he have better than my Jhigh flush. I found it hard to believe that someone bets like this with the nut flush or even Khigh flush because they're gonna either lose to a FH/quads or lose value by making worse hands fold.

EDIT: I'll get you back for stealing my UKOPS satellite seat lol.
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: DYM - Should I know I'm beat here? : I know it's too weak to protect but I was betting for value not to protect. As you say, I had the nut straight and a redraw to a straight flush so I wanted to keep my customer. He didn't call a 3/4 pot bet on the turn, 400 of 975 is less than 1/2 pot. He may very well have a flush but the point is, does he have better than my Jhigh flush. I found it hard to believe that someone bets like this with the nut flush or even Khigh flush because they're gonna either lose to a FH/quads or lose value by making worse hands fold. EDIT: I'll get you back for stealing my UKOPS satellite seat lol.
    Posted by Lambert180
    TBF, I knew I'd win, should've bet more than 50 quid with Carlo. I've a photographic memory and absorb facts like a sponge.

Still waiting on the cash mind. Was thinking of entering Primo, if I bink a cash I'll give half to Carlo's charity given it was easy money :D. PS I deserved the seat after bubbling a micro sat yesterday :D