You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

On a cooler did I play this AK correct

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Im on a cooler at the moment getting my chips in when I am ahead but lady luck has fallen out with me, the first 2 hand are an example of my luck so no  need to comment on these, the KK v QQ plays its self he hit the Q, the JJ I had reads and notes on the other player and new he was drawing or bluffing.
The AK again I was happy the original raising was doing it light and the caller stank of a PP should I have jammed or flat called..... to be honest I dont like calling with AK prefer to fold or ship. Your views on this please?

This was always a big pot
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mrparish82Small blind £0.15£0.15£62.64
waynecBig blind £0.30£0.45£43.85
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Liberachi7Fold    
EARLYBIRD1Raise £1.20£1.65£29.42
arthur1965Call £1.20£2.85£107.68
mrparish82Fold    
waynecRaise £4.50£7.35£39.35
EARLYBIRD1All-in £29.42£36.77£0.00
arthur1965Fold    
waynecAll-in £39.35£76.12£0.00
waynecUnmatched bet £13.53£62.59£13.53
waynecShow
  • K
  • K

EARLYBIRD1Show
  • Q
  • Q

Flop

• Q

Turn

• J

River

EARLYBIRD1WinThree Queens£60.79 £60.79
Had notes and was 95% sure I was ahead

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
wobblylegsSmall blind £0.15£0.15£45.24
unbpowerBig blind £0.30£0.45£57.15
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

chinooka21Call £0.30£0.75£14.03
SanqBeliqFold    
waynecRaise £1.20£1.95£28.35
tariii12Fold    
wobblylegsFold    
unbpowerFold    
chinooka21Call £0.90£2.85£13.13
Flop

• 3</sp

Comments

• edited October 2011
    hand 3 is a weird one the rest are pretty standard and you just got UL.

Where u tilting in Hand 3? Pushing after a standard 3x raise is a little weird. any reason you didnt put in a standard 3bet?
  • edited October 2011
    No I was not tilting the shove was because one of the players would have called my 3 bet not seen him fold to a 3bet during the session, I dont like AK 3 ways and calling with 99 is suspect imo to that action so I think had it been a more experienced player I would have taken it down pre flop imo! Anyway I am open to suggestions of others on how I should have played it, I had no reads on the caller had I known he is likely to gamble with a med PP I doubt I would have shoved.... but I did not have this info!
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: On a cooler did I play this AK correct:
    No I was not tilting the shove was because one of the players would have called my 3 bet not seen him fold to a 3bet during the session, I dont like AK 3 ways and calling with 99 is suspect imo to that action so I think had it been a more experienced player I would have taken it down pre flop imo! Anyway I am open to suggestions of others on how I should have played it, I had no reads on the caller had I known he is likely to gamble with a med PP I doubt I would have shoved.... but I did not have this info!
    Posted by waynec
    Phil is a very experienced and good player.

You have to ask yourself would you have done the same with AA />1010?

When you make the huge 3 bet it just screams AK to me!
  • edited October 2011
    agree with pineapple, phil is a very very good player ,(nl100 +) and i think he saw this hand for exactly what you had ak. ps i know it aint pineapple, but every time i see your name come up thats what i see lol
  • edited October 2011
    agree with pineapple, phil is a very very good player ,(nl100 +) and i think he saw this hand for exactly what you had ak. ps i know it aint pineapple, but every time i see your name come up thats what i see lol
    Posted by pod1
    Same i know its Piano Playa but still pineapple ftw :D

As been said Phil12UK is a top player and a winner, dont see how shoving over a standard bet can ever be good and he obviously knew you had AK although still bit loose for him ;) im suprised he called given his nittiness
  • edited October 2011
    lol @ Pineapple

AK squeeze shove, it is what it is , finks just a 3 bet raise would be better

• edited October 2011
    if one guy always calls 3bets why shove to make him fold?
  • edited October 2011
    I hate the shove.  You said that you were sure the other guy would call the 3-bet.  I would welcome that situation with AK.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah shove makes no sense to me either.  We are basically taking away the whole skill element and basically saying lets flip for it, plus we push out all worse hands.  For what we pick up when they fold its a needless gamble.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks all I think I have to accept that the shove was wrong, many thanks for the replies.
  • edited October 2011
    hand 3 is a standard flip, 2 overcards vs a pair. 50/50. sometimes u'll win and sometimes u lose.

dont see ne point in flatting as if an ace or king comes you prob wont get paid off. and if u miss the flop you've given away chips pre.
  • edited November 2011
    raise to 3 quid, c bet flop, give up to persistant calling....
  • edited November 2011

Shoving here is telling him your and either small PP or AK your not doing this with aces or kings

• edited November 2011
    Shoving here is telling him your and either small PP or AK your not doing this with aces or kings
    Posted by Batkin88
    This

If you are overbet shoving here with AK you will have to do it was JJ-AA as well.  However that is in general massively -ev.
  • edited November 2011
    OP, you a tournement player at heart by any chance? This is a fine move to do in the middle stages of a tournement when 25-35 BBs deep, you pick up ace king and have a raise and a call ahead of you so you ship it in. Theory goes that the caller can't have very much since he just flat called and the orrigional raiser has to worry about other players still to act in the hand. And if you get called you are in good shape against everything but aces and kings.

Thing is, in a cash game 110 BBs deep AKs is just ace high. You actually need to play some poker with it. Nothing wrong here with 3-betting about £3 and then c-betting the flop about £5.50 and then giving up. You would have still lost the hand but you lose £8.50 rather than £33.33.

Like everyone has said, you shove looks exactly like what it is; someone who doesn't know how to play AK. The call with 99 is the correct play