You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fun in the DEEP end

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
   This post is part serious comment about deep stacks and part brag. I decided to give the deepies a go for a total change from my dym escapades. In the first one i played i bubbled but had over 2 hours of great fun at a cost of £2.20. Worth every penny for the great banter and play that i witnessed. On my second outing i played like a complete fool and came nowhere but still enjoyed it thouroughly.

Then the breakthrough came whilst chatting to a guy whilst he was playing. He spotted a weakness in my game that i was unaware of and drew my attention to it.

So i enter my third deepie and due to my better understanding and the deck continually hitting me in the face i managed to win it. It was only a £2.20 one and my winnings were £14 but the most important thing was the enjoyment of the game. In real terms i made a profit of £6 per hour so not ready to turn pro yet.

To anyone interested in these tournys i would thouroughly recommend the £2.20 afternoon ones as the chat is interesting and the play is good and you can play for a long time.

As to my benefactor, if he wishes to be made known i will name him and allow him his moment of glory for the help he has given me.

Good luck to all on the tables and hope to come across you in the wonderful low buy in deepies

Comments

• edited October 2009

Delighted that yet another Player has discovered the beauty of Deep-Stack, slow-clock Poker, where anyone who plays too many hands will go busto before the first break. In Thursday's 7.30 Deepie, we went over an hour before losing a single player!

Was the player who spotted your weakness Rich Orford? Please say it was not......
  • edited October 2009
    very pleased you enjoyed yourself TALON,i myself play the 7.00pm ones near on every night.GREAT banter,great fun and above all great POKER.
  • edited October 2009
      Well will definately be playingmore. And just tto keep Tikay happy, no it wasnt orford.

PLayed another one after this and really ran into a big time cooler. Blind vs blind. Flop i hit 2 pair and my opponents hits the nut flush. I bet out they call. The turn improves my hand to a full house. I bet again and they call. The river improves their hand to a straight flush. All the chips end up going in and i exit. Smarting a bit from that but neither me or my opponent did anything wrong, it was just one of those things. Still enjoyed the tournament and railed it for a while later. Hopefully i will repeat my success at another time but if not i will still smile my way through the tournaments
  • edited October 2009
    I wish my bankroll would allow me to play in more of the deepstack tournaments.
    I have to win about 10 or 12 low stake DYM games close together before I can think about entering another DS.
    It is nice to here success stories in the forum rather than all the moaning.
    Well done Talon.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Fun in the DEEP end:
      Well will definately be playingmore. And just tto keep Tikay happy, no it wasnt orford.   PLayed another one after this and really ran into a big time cooler. Blind vs blind. Flop i hit 2 pair and my opponents hits the nut flush. I bet out they call. The turn improves my hand to a full house. I bet again and they call. The river improves their hand to a straight flush. All the chips end up going in and i exit. Smarting a bit from that but neither me or my opponent did anything wrong, it was just one of those things. Still enjoyed the tournament and railed it for a while later. Hopefully i will repeat my success at another time but if not i will still smile my way through the tournaments
    Posted by Talon
    Its really nice to see a player who doesn't scream about the site being fixed when their good hand gets beaten by a better one.
  • edited October 2009
    I find it hard to play in deepstacks because most of these are in the evening and I have to get up at 3.30am so become tired early evening and have seen advice not to play when your tired
  • edited October 2009
      The deepstacks run all through the day at quarter past. The one that i won was at 12:15. So i am sure you can find one to play at a time that suits you. The daytime ones are £2.20 and the evening ones are usually more. You normally find people playing in several of these at the same time. But the banter is still great so it is well worth a look
  • edited October 2009
      The deepstacks run all through the day at quarter past. The one that i won was at 12:15. So i am sure you can find one to play at a time that suits you. The daytime ones are £2.20 and the evening ones are usually more. You normally find people playing in several of these at the same time. But the banter is still great so it is well worth a look
    Posted by Talon

thanks Talon, will look into that as soon as my bankroll allows me
  • edited October 2009
    I've got a week off work in a couple of weeks time so I'll definitely be playng some of these. Much prefer the slower structures but just don't have the time to play them most evenings
  • edited October 2009
      Hi lads---great stuff!--Ive been trying to promote these deepies for ages---definitely the best place to learn a good game, great bunch of lads--great banter-proper laugh and proper poker---what more can you ask for?--only a few quid--cant go wrong---good luck at the deepies---oynutter

• edited October 2009
      In response to kiwi's post. How could i complain about a fix there.  I was behind preflop, i was behind on the flop, i then hit a 4 outer to go ahead on the turn before being turned over by a 1 outer. To complain about him hitting that i would also have to accept my like earlier. I am very happy that i played the hand well and i know my opponent did as well. As they say you can play a hand perfectly and still lose. All the fun of the game. I can laugh now but must admit was steaming a bit at the time. I congratulated my opponent and did not abuse him. This in many ways is more important. Not whether you lose but how you take the defeat.
  • edited October 2009
      In response to kiwi's post. How could i complain about a fix there.  I was behind preflop, i was behind on the flop, i then hit a 4 outer to go ahead on the turn before being turned over by a 1 outer. To complain about him hitting that i would also have to accept my like earlier. I am very happy that i played the hand well and i know my opponent did as well. As they say you can play a hand perfectly and still lose. All the fun of the game. I can laugh now but must admit was steaming a bit at the time. I congratulated my opponent and did not abuse him. This in many ways is more important. Not whether you lose but how you take the defeat.
    Posted by Talon
    +1 TALON
  • edited October 2009
    Welcome to the deepies Talon

hope to cya at one soon
  • edited October 2009
    I had a pop at the deep stack last week and although i went out within half hour to an all in call, got a bad beat but thats life :) but think i am going to become a big fan of the deep stacks :)
  • edited October 2009
    I LOVE the deepstacks!  I was a respectable 5th/6th for a while there this evening and I'm just a beginner!  Okay so I finished a bit further down the table than that but I had a ruddy good time!!! ;-) xx
  • edited October 2009
    I LOVE the deepstacks!  I was a respectable 5th/6th for a while there this evening and I'm just a beginner!  Okay so I finished a bit further down the table than that but I had a ruddy good time!!! ;-) xx
    Posted by Sarah_C
    Yes, we were a very respectible 5/6 weren't we. ;-)

I always thought the deep stack looked a bit too slow for my style (if I have one) but I seemed to do ok finishing in a respectable 6th place.
  • edited October 2009
    I gained a free entry into the Forum deepstack through goals competition and I crashed out  to a silly all in call pre flop of a10 when my opponent had aj.

I do like playing better players because I think it will improve my game but find evening deepstacks too tiring.

I was also glad to see the person who I had lost all my chips to cash in this tourney so well done.

why I went all in with a10 was that I was getting very tired and unbelievably I was glad I had gone out. Is this right?

• edited October 2009
    I gained a free entry into the Forum deepstack through goals competition and I crashed out  to a silly all in call pre flop of a10 when my opponent had aj. I do like playing better players because I think it will improve my game but find evening deepstacks too tiring. I was also glad to see the person who I had lost all my chips to cash in this tourney so well done. why I went all in with a10 was that I was getting very tired and unbelievably I was glad I had gone out. Is this right?
    Posted by COCASIRF
    The problem with deepies is the time consuming nature.  However, u want to keep at them as the practice is there for u to help put u in good stead when u go deep in a different tournament.  Make the most of the 5 minute breaks and stretch ur legs, get some fresh air etc etc. Keep at it tho as they help ur game no end as they really allow proper play and poker learning.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Fun in the DEEP end : The problem with deepies is the time consuming nature.  However, u want to keep at them as the practice is there for u to help put u in good stead when u go deep in a different tournament.  Make the most of the 5 minute breaks and stretch ur legs, get some fresh air etc etc. Keep at it tho as they help ur game no end as they really allow proper play and poker learning.
    Posted by phil12uk

Thanks for the advice Phil.

The only problem I see is the time consuming, I'm usually up at 3.30 in the morning so usually would'nt enter these type of tourneys knowing that I will tire. I just hope people think I'm a donk ...even though I probably am lol.

see you in tonights poster tourney where I'll be giving my chips away again...lol
  • edited October 2009
      Hi lads---great stuff!--Ive been trying to promote these deepies for ages---definitely the best place to learn a good game, great bunch of lads--great banter-proper laugh and proper poker---what more can you ask for?--only a few quid--cant go wrong---good luck at the deepies---oynutter  
    Posted by oynutter
    and even the occasional lady!
  • edited October 2009
    lovin the deepies , had a 4th on monday and a 2nd yesterday , both on the 700pm, that works out at nearlt 7hrs poker for 8 quid, including a bounty of 25 quid i made 120 pounds in 2 tournys. they are long and if you got patience i think worth while, just takes a bit of disapline to keep foldin when your bored!!!