You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournaments - Right to re-raise here?

edited October 2011 in The Poker Clinic

£100 GTD Freeroll, 600/1200 blinds, first or second level after the break, was moved to this table during the break. Small Blind raised, I went all in on the big blind because I had an ace in my hand, thinking that he'd be doing that with any two cards, and would fold or possibly call me with something like QJ, KJ, KQ. Unfortunately, he didn't as he had a pair of 10's. Did I make a mistake going over the top when I could've just folded and had 10 big blinds left, and waited for a better spot, or did I make the right play and just run into a big hand and is this just variance?

Hand History #431212212 (23:48 29/10/2011)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
kjd36Small blind 600.00600.0021370.00
EvilPinguBig blind 1200.001800.0012340.00
 Your hole cards
  • A

marsh08Fold    
hind11Fold    
JPKINGPKERFold    
charlsefFold    
kjd36Raise 3000.004800.0018370.00
EvilPinguAll-in 12340.0017140.000.00
kjd36Call 9940.0027080.008430.00
kjd36Show

EvilPinguShow
  • A

Flop

Turn

• K

River

kjd36WinThree 10s27080.00 35510.00

Comments

• edited October 2011
    It's quite dependant on how your oppo plays, if he's been raising from the SB reasonably often, then this is the best play. If he is a tight player and has rarely raised in this spot then it would be a fold.
  • edited October 2011
    With his raise size being 3x I don't think he's EVER folding to your all in well at least he shouldn't so I doubt you have any fold equity. However it is a freeroll so people play MUCH looser and maybe A2 is well ahead here but I would probz just fold as he needs to have Kx/Qx/anything but Ax/pairs for you to be good. FWIW I would defo shove with A2 but calling off essentially isn't great imo. Also it depends how important the tourney is to you obviously it's a freeroll so you can't lose but if the top prize is a good % of your BR then maybe take less risks.
  • edited October 2011
    i dont like it to be far, only better is going to call (which he was). you still got 10 bb, i would let it go and find a better spot. like dude says being a freeroll ax is crushing you and racing any pp. i wouldnt put my tourny on the line with a2 .
  • edited October 2011
    bad play. wait for a better spot and if youre open shoving dont do it over a raise unless you are super strong.

even more so in a freeroll
  • edited October 2011
    As said above, it depends on the opponent. The raise would only be right if you are confident he will fold anything apart from a premium hand.

A2 is such a poor hand, I fold it even SB unopened pots. Sounds like you were hoping for a call from KQ/KJ etc but you are only 58/42 there, as you would be against many "worse" hands.  If he had suited connectors you are only 50/50, as you have negligible str8 and flush possibilities with A2 os. So with no hands you can dominate, and 20 plus you are way behind to, I would wait for a better spot.

Even down to 10BBs dont panic, I would sooner open shove with 98 suited than get involved here.

• edited October 2011
    If oppo has been doing this a lot then it's fine
    If oppo has been quite, then respect the 3x and fold

If the raise is legit and not any two then your in very bad shape v oppo range
  • edited October 2011
    You have no fold equity and you have A2 which is dominated by so much of his range if we assume he does this with Ax, Kx, Q9+ and pairs. This is the sort of move you can do against a bigger stack when you are 20BBs deep. With 10xBB you can only do this with a hand that plays well against the above range. You need to be looking for a spot to open shove in mid to late possition with A2 when you are 10BBs deep to pick up the blinds.