You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Value betting the river

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Imo this is a part of poker i dont think i am getting correct in cash games , i believe this is a major part that can have a big outcome on profits.
This week i am going to post hands that i would like opinions on as to whether i am getting these river bet sizes correct or not.
My view is if they will pay x amount to call my bet then surely they will pay a little bit more yeah ??
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
debdobs_67 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £20.01
1jaxonray1 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £19.60
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

waynec Fold     
GREGHOGG Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £37.31
debdobs_67 Call  £0.25 £0.70 £19.76
1jaxonray1 Fold     
Flop

debdobs_67 Check     
GREGHOGG Bet  £0.53 £1.23 £36.78
debdobs_67 Call  £0.53 £1.76 £19.23
Turn

• Q

debdobs_67 Bet  £0.88 £2.64 £18.35
GREGHOGG Call  £0.88 £3.52 £35.90
River

debdobs_67 Bet  ???   

Comments

• edited October 2011
    If you 3b pre your river value bets will be lots more valuey!!!

Your line in the whole hand is strange...

3b / b / b / b !!!!!

I'd bomb it now coz Hogg will call me with 9 high.

Depends on your image, how he sees you, but I'd imagine 2.50 or summat is ur best shot at getting paid.

He prob folds most of his hands though with the line you've taken.
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah ofc ure right in a shoulda reraised pre , but you know how it is sometimes , just cant resist slow playin a big hand on occasions ;)
  • edited October 2011
    hyjack alert!!! jj just pmd you mate! debs like jj says if you 3b to say 90p and run it again from there down all streets it dont half make a difference. knowing gregg (he wont mind me saying this i hope) theres a good chance he will come back with a 4bet coz hes quite agro like that. i lost count the amount of times he did it to me yest.
  • edited October 2011
    Yh don't understand flat call pre, you're in worst position for rest of hand, on button maybe but still I prefer to play it simple and just 3bet.

Also if you c/c flop wouldn't it be best to c/r the turn instead of leading which just looks really weird imo and allows him to just flat.

River just standard 75% - pot bet so about £2.70.

As Dohh says though 3bet pre makes it much easier.
  • edited October 2011

is there a bet you can make on the river here that gets 'value' out of QQ.

you are so deep and with such a strong hand that its such a shame you wont win a big pot with it.

also, leading the turn is the weirdest thing ive seen

• edited October 2011
    3bet pre for value. Why did you decide to slowplay? What advantage is there in doing so?

flop I prob c/r but I dont mind the flat this deep

turn why on earth are you leading? clear c/r imo. If you are leading bet at least 1.30

as played I'd bet 2.90
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Debbydobs

your value bet was perfect cos the line you had taken in the hand confused the hell out of me!

I think its mainly the fact you didnt 3 bet pre with that hand that you got the call.

This was one the many hands from yesterday that i messed up and i hated my life when i saw what you had.

Anyone care to guess what i stationed off with? I cant actually remember how much you bet, but it felt like alot at the time!!!
  • edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Value betting the river:
    hyjack alert!!! jj just pmd you mate! debs like jj says if you 3b to say 90p and run it again from there down all streets it dont half make a difference. knowing gregg (he wont mind me saying this i hope) theres a good chance he will come back with a 4bet coz hes quite agro like that. i lost count the amount of times he did it to me yest.
    Posted by pod1
    I would probably flat with my hand here pre vs Debdobs

vs you, i would 4 bet :)
  • edited October 2011
    qk??
    Posted by pod1
    No!
  • edited October 2011
    Hi Debbydobs your value bet was perfect cos the line you had taken in the hand confused the hell out of me! I think its mainly the fact you didnt 3 bet pre with that hand that you got the call. This was one the many hands from yesterday that i messed up and i hated my life when i saw what you had. Anyone care to guess what i stationed off with? I cant actually remember how much you bet, but it felt like alot at the time!!!
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    j10,k10,a10 sumfin like that
  • edited October 2011
    is that a definate no !! lol

• edited October 2011
    blimeyyyyyyyyyy

its worse than i thought

im so bad, my only excuse is that i thought you could have something like 89s i guess.

i payed a hefty price for info! No wonder i felt so sick after the hand, was hoping to avoid posting this one on here lol
    ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    debdobs_67 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £20.01
    1jaxonray1 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £19.60
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • J

waynec Fold     
    GREGHOGG Raise  £0.30 £0.45 £37.31
    debdobs_67 Call  £0.25 £0.70 £19.76
    1jaxonray1 Fold     
    Flop

debdobs_67 Check     
    GREGHOGG Bet  £0.53 £1.23 £36.78
    debdobs_67 Call  £0.53 £1.76 £19.23
    Turn

• Q

debdobs_67 Bet  £0.88 £2.64 £18.35
    GREGHOGG Call  £0.88 £3.52 £35.90
    River

debdobs_67 Bet  £3.52 £7.04 £14.83
    GREGHOGG Call  £3.52 £10.56 £32.38
    debdobs_67 Show
    • Q
    • Q

GREGHOGG Muck
    • J
    • J

debdobs_67 Win Three Queens £9.76  £24.59
  • edited October 2011
    Yeah ofc ure right in a shoulda reraised pre , but you know how it is sometimes , just cant resist slow playin a big hand on occasions ;)
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Yeh ur right slow playing is good in some situations.....

But not just randomly when u feel like it. What's your reasoning?....

What is it about this particular situation, (villains opening range/reads on how villain plays thru streets/stack sizes/table position/table dynamic) that makes you think that this is a good time to do so?
  • edited October 2011
    In Response to Re: Value betting the river : Yeh ur right slow playing is good in some situations..... But not just randomly when u feel like it. What's your reasoning?.... What is it about this particular situation, (villains opening range/reads on how villain plays thru streets/stack sizes/table position/table dynamic) that makes you think that this is a good time to do so?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Well imo when ya get a standard 3x raise and its only 1 more oppo to bet afterwards then IF that 1 oppo wants to reraise then ya have a gd opportunity to come over the top , i dont alwways do it obv , and in hindsight i shoulda 3bet pre.
  • edited October 2011
    It's hard to 3 bet here though in small blind. Just a 2x raise from the button - you risk losing your customer if you pop it up above 70p unless he has a strong hand (he just happens to this time). With a more marginal hand reraising might be better to take some initiative when oop postflop and get some idea of strength of button. As it is, you can be fairly confident that you have the best hand, though you'll be out of position.

With the cards that came on flop - all undercards, no likely draws - you can let him catch up. Turn gives you security to milk however you want!
  • edited November 2011
    re raise pre, re raise flop, re raise turn and if he still here get all in on river.

P.S please tell me when your next playing and what table :) thanks