You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is Sitting out a strategy

Noticed a player today sitting out in a sit an go, waiting for a raise and diving back in over the top with AA then again AK, winning both pots and then become ultra aggressive.

Its never crossed my mind to do this and dont think its right but i guess if you pay your money you can do what you want.

Comments

• edited October 2009

Ugh.

There's no limit to the depth to which some people will go in an effort to gain an edge.

The coup here is that by timing out the previous hand, they then stay "Sat-Out". Other Players notice this, & will take advantage of it by Raising into what appears to be an empty or "AWAY" Seat. (Typically SB v BB). Once a decent hand arrives, Villain then sits back in & springs the trap.  
  • edited October 2009
    I have seen this before, and find it slightly abusive of the away button.

If a player continues to do it, put it in your notes so when it comes to you raising his away, you know to be careful.

His timing must be impecible, as you only have a second to respond when you are away. Certainly a too risky play for me to consider.

I saw it done with aces and unfortunately, one player had raised and then another had pushed all in, just to steal a blind! Then bang, he doubled up.

Sometimes at very low levels, people will fight to steal a 30 chip blind. Madness. I just continue to play my own game until later stages and even then, only steal a blind if I am on the button or SB. it is never worth it any other position on the table.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is Sitting out a strategy:
    Ugh. There's no limit to the depth to which some people will go in an effort to gain an edge. The coup here is that by timing out the previous hand, they then stay "Sat-Out". Other Players notice this, & will take advantage of it by Raising into what appears to be an empty or "AWAY" Seat. (Typically SB v BB). Once a decent hand arrives, Villain then sits back in & springs the trap.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes i admit i did this once. I went to the mens room so to speak and when i came back i was 'away' I stayed away until i got a playable hand KK lol. I would have folded the rubbish hands i was getting anyway and they used my being away to their advantage, i just got my own back. Alls fair in love and war as they say, like ive said, i've done it to others and had it done to me, im easy either way.
  • edited October 2009
       It is an unfortunate side effect to online play that someone can pretend to be away. But there is another thing that i see a lot in dyms and that is people who enter the tourny and then walk off never to return. I have seen too many people clashing to steal the blinds on offer and these people end up cashing. There is one player on this site who sits out everytime for the first 15mins. When he joins he has only lost about 200 chips and there are usually 4 or 5 left in.

The tactic of actually sitting out to avoid the early stupity i can understand and even agree with, though i would not do it. But i believe pretending to be away to trap is borderline cheating in my book. I wish there were a way of stopping it but i cant see how that is possible. So i guess we are just left with feeling pity for the players who do this because they are obviously not good enough to win any other way
  • edited October 2009
    when i am in a tournament, i play one of two ways. i watch the first few hands and see what other players are doing in terms of calling, who's playing tight. From that i decide how i will play early stages and it goes like this ...

1. People keep continually calling then i sit in wait till i get a premium hand slow play it then i can usually end up doubling up, thus giving me a few more chips to play around with and be more loose with what i play.

2. people are folding a lot or are away, i will play very tight and only play monster hands but very aggressive.

it is very rare i will play loose until i have enough chips to take chances and try and make the long odds pay, as i would like to get into a position where i have a chance to compete on a level playing field. I don't know if this right or wrong or just plain devious?? perhaps someone would care to let me know :) but i have paid my money and the main aim is to increase it :)

Sitting away is not an ideal strategy for me, in my opinion i think some do it just so they can come back in when the blinds are getting bigger and steal them as most people will be wary of them now making a bet. Some say they do it so they can just sit back and watch, which is rubbish as you can do that by still being in the pot and just doing the simplest of tasks and pressing the fold button!! i just cannot see what purpose it serves personally. Play tight by all means and only call your blinds but sitting out pointless.

But then like Tikay has said on air, you've paid your money play your way. Is it right or is it wrong?? you can't really say either way as there is no way of playing right or wrong in poker is there?? it's a bit like boxing, it's a mix and match of styles and it's up to the individual player to work out the opponent and play him the best way to win :)

was that a waffle or what!!! i don't even know if i am on topic here it was lunchtime when i started writing this!! :)
  • edited October 2009
    I have no problems with people missing the early levels. You don't want to get into a battle as people will call with rags at these stages.

I think I know the player you are referring to, he is very succesful at this strategy, however it does not always pay off as I have seen him arrive at the game and he has become too short to make an impression, especially if the table has been tight and there are still 6 left.

It leaves you with pushing and sometimes he does get caught out, but none the less his overall ROI must be quite decent.
  • edited October 2009
    Personally I just don't understand this & I agree with Talon that it's borderline cheating.

Occasionally I will sit away from a table for a few hands and that's generally to stop myself from tilting after I've lost a bundle of chips through my own sheer stupid plays.
  • edited October 2009

I assume for this so called trap to work the said player was in the blinds seeing as utg+1 is unlikely to get carried away if the cut off is sat out for example although it is obviously going to affect the range of hands they raise with. If so its hard to feel sympathy for the players who were raising into the sat out player as they were just trying to profit from what will often be the misfortune of another player who often will have disconnected. The players trying to steal the away players chips can hardly take the moral highground here as they are doing something dubious too. 

Dont get me wrong i am not condemning these players everybody has profited from these situations at times its just part of online poker.

• edited October 2009
    If there is an away, i see no problems with a min raise from the sb.

Connection problems or not, they are not there to defend their chips and as such, they should be easy pickings.

I can't see anyone letting an away keep their blind just beacuse it is 'sporting'.

It a solo game at the end of the day, and if they are not there, thank you, i'll just take em.

Deliberate aways, to induce bets are another matter and it is stretching the rules. But it is all the joys of online poker.
  • edited October 2009
    Personally I just don't understand this & I agree with Talon that it's borderline cheating. Occasionally I will sit away from a table for a few hands and that's generally to stop myself from tilting after I've lost a bundle of chips through my own sheer stupid plays.
    Posted by silentbob
    Well no, it's not. You might not like it, Talon ditto, but it's an entirely legit strategy, & anyone is entitled to do it. It's not even morally improper - it's their absolute right to sit-out if they wish, & it's your right to come up with a strategy to combat it.

In case you ask, no, I would never do it as a deliberate strategy, but because we do not like it, & would not do it, that does not mean he is cheating.

Multi-Accounting is cheating, & those who do it deserve the contempt in which they are held.. Sitting-Out is a legit strategy, & it would be wrong to suggest their actions are improper.

I'm violently opposed to brussel sprouts, but they are street legal.
  • edited October 2009
    I assume for this so called trap to work the said player was in the blinds seeing as utg+1 is unlikely to get carried away if the cut off is sat out for example although it is obviously going to affect the range of hands they raise with. If so its hard to feel sympathy for the players who were raising into the sat out player as they were just trying to profit from what will often be the misfortune of another player who often will have disconnected. The players trying to steal the away players chips can hardly take the moral highground here as they are doing something dubious too.      Dont get me wrong i am not condemning these players everybody has profited from these situations at times its just part of online poker.
    Posted by WildDog
    Exactly correct, or mostly so. I was not suggesting either party held the moral high ground, just explaining the opposing dynamics of Sitter-Outers.

It's not dubious to Sit-Out, & it's not dubious to attempt to steal Blinds of Tactical Sitter-Outers.

A rather pleasing aspect of Sky Poker is that when a genuine disco occurs at a crucial stage, most of the Players usually quickly agree to deliberately slow down the game, until the Disco'd player reconnects.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is Sitting out a strategy : Exactly correct, or mostly so. I was not suggesting either party held the moral high ground, just explaining the opposing dynamics of Sitter-Outers. It's not dubious to Sit-Out, & it's not dubious to attempt to steal Blinds of Tactical Sitter-Outers. A rather pleasing aspect of Sky Poker is that when a genuine disco occurs at a crucial stage, most of the Players usually quickly agree to deliberately slow down the game, until the Disco'd player reconnects.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I hate fake discos... turn up and no music or nothing init ;)

On a serious note, as you pay your fee's you can sit out the whole thing if you want. Easy pickings.
  • edited October 2009
    TRIED IT THIS AFTERNOON AWAY FOR FIRST 10 HANDS NOTHING 11TH HAND 10 10 HIT MY  10 OTHER BLOKE HAD AA AND HIT AN ACE, SO THERE YOU ARE 100% SCIENTIFIC PROOF 
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is Sitting out a strategy : Well no, it's not. You might not like it, Talon ditto, but it's an entirely legit strategy, & anyone is entitled to do it. It's not even morally improper - it's their absolute right to sit-out if they wish, & it's your right to come up with a strategy to combat it. In case you ask, no, I would never do it as a deliberate strategy, but because we do not like it, & would not do it, that does not mean he is cheating. Multi-Accounting is cheating, & those who do it deserve the contempt in which they are held.. Sitting-Out is a legit strategy, & it would be wrong to suggest their actions are improper. I'm violently opposed to brussel sprouts, but they are street legal.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you Tikay, i thought i was gonna get villified for my earlier admission of guilt, thanks for setting my mind at rest because i was starting to feel guilty (well maybe a teeny weeny bit lol)
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Is Sitting out a strategy : Well no, it's not. You might not like it, Talon ditto, but it's an entirely legit strategy, & anyone is entitled to do it. It's not even morally improper - it's their absolute right to sit-out if they wish, & it's your right to come up with a strategy to combat it. In case you ask, no, I would never do it as a deliberate strategy, but because we do not like it, & would not do it, that does not mean he is cheating. Multi-Accounting is cheating, & those who do it deserve the contempt in which they are held.. Sitting-Out is a legit strategy, & it would be wrong to suggest their actions are improper. I'm violently opposed to brussel sprouts, but they are street legal.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay, I don't have a problem with someone who just chooses to sit out, just those who do it to try and entice a raise only to click back in double quick time.

Saying that, after consideration I do take your point though
  • edited October 2009
    I have seen this used a lot as a strategy. It is wrong and in my opion a form of cheating.  Have the courage / skill / luck to play your hands. If you win great if you lose accept it. You don't need to cheat.

However, I am aware that people having connectivity problems it has shown as away. So it is unfair that some dishonest people are abusing this functionality.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't see any problem.
    They have paid there money for the game and can play it anyway they want to.
    If they want to sit out, it is up to them.
    If they want to seek in after being away, again it is there choice.
    Everyone has there own way of playing, it is up to the individual.
  • edited November 2009
    Firstly the strategy of sitting out to avoid the early level battles isnt an issue, its done in live games, so can't see any reason why it shouldnt be a legitimate strategy online.

However I'd be interested to know what the ruling is in live games about players re-sitting in once a hand has been dealt. Are players allowed to decide to sit in on a hand, after the hand has been dealt or does the floor manager say that it is etiquette that they wait until that hand is finished before being allowed to sit back in. IE would a live player be allowed to see his hole cards before deciding whether he is back in the game or not, or would he have to declare that he is sitting in before seeing the hole cards.

The only reason I ask this, is that I've never experienced this on Sky, so didnt even know the possibility existed, however on other sites when I have been legitmately away and returned to see what my hole cards are, when trying to sit back in, I receive the message that I will be dealt back in once the next hand commences. Whilst annoying especially if you have been dealt Aces or Kings, this would seem to be the obvious way to avoid the situation that the OP describes.

It doesnt sit right with me that players could make such a move, however, if it is an acceptable tactic in live play, that a player can view his hole cards then decalre that they are sitting back in, then I guess it would also be considered acceptable online
  • edited November 2009
    I have been known to sit out the first few levels of tournaments, keeping half an eye on the hole cards, and if I can reach the sit back in button in time to catch a monster hand I will play it, it's amazing how little credit you get for this sometimes and can often take down big pots. However, a dubious spin on this is that if I do find these big hands have come a few times and I'm getting no action (usually after the first one has gone to showdown) I'll assume the table has picked up on it and then I have the power to keep sitting back in for the next level or so and represent a couple of big hands. Iffy? Maybe. But it isn't a substitute for good poker and it isn't something I do (or am able to do) often
  • edited November 2009
    Aski makes a real good point on this, and maybe sky could look into it.
    As he says, on some other sites you have to be in the game before the hole cards are dealt otherwise you are sat out by the server, simple and it would stop this happening.
  • edited November 2009
    I sometimes sit out the first 3 levels on DYM and completely leave my computer during this time (i could be folding aces, kings without knowing). Blinds start to get to a substantial size by the time level 4 begins so i rejoin the game then with a chip size usually still greater than 1800. Playing like this prevents needlessly wasting chips in the early stages, whilst remaining in a decent overall position (usually 4th). However, i dont wait until i get a monster hand and then jump back in (morally wrong), i just casually slip into my seat at the beginning of level 4 and play my game. So it looks like i agree with everyone on this forum :-)

Muchos Love.
  • edited November 2009
    P.S. I know not watching any of the game for the first 3 levels may seem a little silly but i had my kings lose to A 10 on level 3 the other day, chips all in pre-flop.
  • edited November 2009
    That would also happen on level 4, 5, 6 anyway though. I think playing monsters early in DYMs is good, if you get blinds or a small pot - fine, if you get a big double up - great (from then on you're pretty much home), if you get beaten by a weaker hand, well as I said it would happen anyway
  • edited November 2009
    yes,but not a very good one.Rather than sit out why just tell yourself to fold every hand?

What if you have aces 10 hands in a row and they were wasted because you were sat out
  • edited November 2009
    Hi

I know a player who registered for a SNG, fell asleep before the game started and still cashed :)
  • edited November 2009
    My ROI is better when I'm asleep.

Brussel sprouts are vastly underrated.

As is Street Legal, an album by the greatest artist in the history of music.
  • edited November 2009
    I was in a SAT last night and one player was sat out for the whole tournament, he only went out within 5 spots of the bubble. Sorry but Sky need to get a grip on this as it is definately spoiling not only my enjoyment but that of others, if the comments were anything to go by
  • edited November 2009
    In a tournament just now. I go all in. the other person clicks "away" and after hand is given to me, the immediately come back.  Come on Sky sort this out.
  • edited November 2009

another thing thats annoying on away hands is ,when they finally blind down ,they can still play their last hand and win it. would this be the case in a live game.