You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL8, Q,J out of the big blind!

Table dynamic = quite a few limps followed by 3-bets on this table, not all the time but one or two were getting a bit frisky now and again, their 3-bets were always way too small but they were limp 3-betting nonetheless. My image, whether they were paying attention or not is questionable, was definitely very nitty showing down very strong cards with my few showdowns so far.

Right, QJ is a horrid hand to play out of position, its one of my (many) nemesis hands! I was'nt comfortable raising with it as it was a table of people who liked to mess about a bit and i dont want to be playing a big pot with this hand very often. This is probably mistake number 1, you tell me!

Reads = only one significant read, that was that player x likes to play small connectors but i have seen them showdown with hands like 5,8 offsuit and 4,6 suited quite a few hands more often than i should have.

I bet 3/4 pot when i hit J, i feel that my Q kicker is probably good as anything bigger would have popped it up pre more often than not, the board is draw heavy but i get callers left right and centre. Should i think i am behind now?

This pot is growing way too big for my hand and the turn is a bit of a scare card for straight draws. What do i do now?  

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
eddie2 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £65.57
DrSharp Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £8.93
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

xCall  £0.08 £0.20 £3.41
duonross Fold     
Esscrew Fold     
sawg Call  £0.08 £0.28 £9.05
eddie2 Call  £0.04 £0.32 £65.53
DrSharp Check     
Flop

• J

eddie2 Check     
DrSharp Bet  £0.24 £0.56 £8.69
xCall  £0.24 £0.80 £3.17
sawg Call  £0.24 £1.04 £8.81
eddie2 Call  £0.24 £1.28 £65.29
Turn

eddie2 Check     
DrSharp ?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    I prefer to check call on flop try and keep pot small as possible with fairly weak hand.

As played I check turn and probably fold to any decent bet but call any stupid small one.
  • edited November 2011
    dudeskin really???????

bet pot on flop, bet 80p on turn and fold to a re raise.

P.S why are u playing JQ if you dont like this flop? and cant you think there on clkub draws, also raise pre man!!!!! you dont get yourself in this situation if u raise pre, if u get donked by sum1 playin 43 off its ur own fault
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: NL8, Q,J out of the big blind!:
    dudeskin really??????? bet pot on flop, bet 80p on turn and fold to a re raise. P.S why are u playing JQ if you dont like this flop? and cant you think there on clkub draws, also raise pre man!!!!! you dont get yourself in this situation if u raise pre, if u get donked by sum1 playin 43 off its ur own fault
    Posted by bolly580
    Was in the BB!

i prob bet out again, fold to a raise then try and check down the river
  • edited November 2011
    looks fine, c/f turn/pray for showdown...
  • edited November 2011
    QJo is a terrible hand at these low stakes for exactly this reason. On the flop it's likely that your hand is winning but your bet on the flop has no fold equity what-so-ever at this level and with cards to come it's risky playing for three streets of value.

I'd rather check the flop and hope for a free turn. Players at this level will call with a draw after an unraised pre-flop pot but will rarely bet with a draw. If someone bets you can guess that they have a jack but they most likely have a worse kicker.

The 6d means 57 and 52 have got there but more likely just give players more outs who have a five with a picture card.

If the flop gets checked you can bet 1/2 pot on the turn and river for value
  • edited November 2011
    eddie2 got £65 -- wowza

raise pre 
    flop bet sizing is ok
    b/f turn

if you are called on turn then either c/f or c/c river

tighten your range if table is loose and/or just play nut draw hands, ace suited, QJ high end straights
    play em fast and get paid - always get silly's paying you off with low flush draws - idiot end straights

• edited November 2011
    think your only behind to bigger kicker so its either check and hope to see a free turn. the callers for your first raise for me are chasing the flush or the str8 but checking preflopgives you no clues whatsoever.
    for me you asked the question after the flop and with all those callers possible outs and with a pretty weak hand im checking and folding to any raise if the hand plays out im definatly looking into the hand history because its giving me some very useful info on the ranges of your opponents