You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What would you do on this river??

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Jag727 Small blind  800.00 800.00 49290.75
veal05 Big blind  1600.00 2400.00 47047.54
  Your hole cards

turnz64 Fold     
Batkin88 Raise  4800.00 7200.00 87170.60
sara36dd08 Fold     
amy91 Fold     
Jag727 Fold     
veal05 Call  3200.00 10400.00 43847.54
Flop

• K
  • Q
  • J

veal05 Check     
Batkin88 Bet  7800.00 18200.00 79370.60
veal05 Call  7800.00 26000.00 36047.54
Turn

• Q

veal05 Check     
Batkin88 Check     
River

veal05 Bet  26000.00 52000.00 10047.54
Batkin88 ?

Comments

• edited October 2011

I had just taken a big pot off this player, the flop call i could only put him on two pair or flush draw maybe AQ or AJ but unlikely.
    Should i of bet turn and put him in then or as i got to river should i fold as its a 3rd of my stack on a difficult spot?

• edited November 2011
    wd on your cash last night..excellent
  • edited November 2011
    yukk such a horrible spot if they have KQ JQ they get there on the turn along with xxdd i think its a sigh fold
    also would this guy bet pot with a bluff im not sure as it only leaves him like ~10k behind but some are crazy enough to do that i guess it depends has he got out of line previously by making some crazy weird moves when its been checked to him ?
  • edited November 2011

ty cleaver yes delaney the bet size looked like it was meant to come across weak but was expecting me to think he was tilting

• edited November 2011
    yeah its a strange one that i think its probably a sigh fold but wouldn't blame you if you called it off its a weird one lol
  • edited November 2011
    From the call pre-flop and on the flop, I'm probably putting him on A10+, Pocket pair, KQ, KJ or QJ. He's probably got 2 pairs, flopped broadway (would probably re-raise to protect vs. Flush draw and full houses here, so unlikely), or is calling with a nut flush draw. The turn card is awful and slowed both of you down. I think his check there from him is weak rather than strong in that spot. Don't think he's slow playing anything there other than quads or possibly pocket kings.

I was thinking whether it would be worth betting maybe 16-18k on the turn with position because he's checked, find out where you are and save yourself from this situation on the river - he'll either fold and you take down the pot (might fold something like a flush or even pocket jacks if he's a tight enough player). He's not calling or re-raising you there if you bet the turn with anything less than a flush IMO.

I don't think you've done anything wrong by checking, a bet on the turn gives you whatever information you need to decide what to do, and the possibility of winning the pot, but also means you've just lost 1/5th of your stack if you get called or re-raised. Tough decision.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: What would you do on this river??:
    From the call pre-flop and on the flop, I'm probably putting him on A10+, Pocket pair, KQ, KJ or QJ. He's probably got 2 pairs, flopped broadway (would probably re-raise to protect vs. Flush draw and full houses here, so unlikely), or is calling with a nut flush draw. The turn card is awful and slowed both of you down. I think his check there from him is weak rather than strong in that spot. Don't think he's slow playing anything there other than quads or possibly pocket kings. I was thinking whether it would be worth betting maybe 16-18k on the turn with position because he's checked, find out where you are and save yourself from this situation on the river - he'll either fold and you take down the pot (might fold something like a flush or even pocket jacks if he's a tight enough player). He's not calling or re-raising you there if you bet the turn with anything less than a flush IMO. I don't think you've done anything wrong by checking, a bet on the turn gives you whatever information you need to decide what to do. Tough decision.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Why bet turn if you think he is weak and folds all worse hands and only continues with better (also he never folds a flush or boat)? Surely check back and call or bet blank river would be a better line. I dont agree his check means he is weak btw

Batkin I think you played hand fine (I wouldnt always open pre, but its fine imo) and I think you have to sighfold river
  • edited November 2011
    I would open less preflop (no need to 3x)

I would also sigh fold as played. I think its really hard (and probably wrong) to bet the turn on this board.

• edited November 2011
    lol i would fold pre, on button fair enough but UTG +1 not a raising spot no matter what the table

Looks like a fold as played but dont blame you for calling in the moment
  • edited November 2011
    Yg you know my range this is a def raise pre thanks for the advice people i did sigh fold :( just seemed like it was a value bet on the end to look weak bet big kinda thing.