You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

dym help please!

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi all for the next 2 months i`m goin to  be playin mostly dym`s to try and get up the stt leaderboard and get a consitent profit instead of the mad swings i`ve been gettin with cash over the last few months i was just lookin for some top tips because i`ve had 2 sessions in 2 days 1st session had a 57% win rate but earlier today i only got 40% so need help please plus how many BI`S do i need for stts goin 2 be playin 3-4 at a time.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    basically dont play hands in the first 3-4 levels u should be only playing the big poairs and ak just let every 1 knock each other out when blinds go 75-150 up this is when u need to steal blinds and win pots 2 survive i do ok on these averadge cash 8 out of 10 so far 
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: dym help please!:
    basically dont play hands in the first 3-4 levels u should be only playing the big poairs and ak just let every 1 knock each other out when blinds go 75-150 up this is when u need to steal blinds and win pots 2 survive i do ok on these averadge cash 8 out of 10 so far 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thats great results m8 i seem to be doin that but i seem to walkin in2 big hands like for example utg with 4 left i have 8bbs shove wae jj run in2 ak also similar spot shove with 99 on btn get called by qq that happend twice maybe just need 2 run better lol
  • edited November 2011
    yeah spots like that cant do much about but if u are a big stack at this stage no need to play jj just let the short stack go all in hes the 1 that needs to double up not u but with 8 big blinds yeah standard stuff 
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah with things like that, shoving with short stacks with medium/big pairs and walking into bigger ones, you just need to run better.

And yeah my challenge is still going well. Just be aware, yes winning 8 out of 10 is very good but no matter how good you are, there is NO WAY you can win 80% of DYMs long term. You should keep track of how many you've played and how many you've won.

Number won/number played*100 = your win rate.

If you're playing DYMs with 10% rake like £5.50 then having a 55% win rate will be exactly break even, anything more is profit :) I'm only on about 57% winrate but my profit is about £65 just through volume AND I've been running bad! lol
  • edited November 2011

the best advice i can give you is to put pressure on the second short stack,i find that the s/s is looking to double up, and the 2nd s/s is trying to stay out of trouble,so is unlikely to call a raise, unless hes got a very strong hand.
    beware of the chip leader that wants to play,and loses chips to other players putting your stack under pressure.
    DYMs are an easy way to double your money,but care must be taken, calling stations that will call with any 2 cards,these players can boost your chips,BUT sometimes they BINK a hand,making you the s/s.

tight /aggressive is the best tactic, and position,position,position.

when in the b/b if the button flats,and the s/b calls, RAISE with any 2 cards, they are telling you that they are weak, and want to see a flop.

GOOD LUCK
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah with things like that, shoving with short stacks with medium/big pairs and walking into bigger ones, you just need to run better. And yeah my challenge is still going well. Just be aware, yes winning 8 out of 10 is very good but no matter how good you are, there is NO WAY you can win 80% of DYMs long term. You should keep track of how many you've played and how many you've won. Number won/number played*100 = your win rate. If you're playing DYMs with 10% rake like £5.50 then having a 55% win rate will be exactly break even, anything more is profit :) I'm only on about 57% winrate but my profit is about £65 just through volume AND I've been running bad! lol
    Posted by Lambert180
    awrite paul i ended up havin a gd finish played 29 today cashed in 15 so it worked out just under 52% win rate and i was down to 37% at one point these dym`s are so different from cash you have to be more disciplined and patient so when i go back to cash i think it can improve my cash game overall because i was a bit wild at times on cash thats why my swings were bad but i was winning lol
  • edited November 2011
    the best advice i can give you is to put pressure on the second short stack,i find that the s/s is looking to double up, and the 2nd s/s is trying to stay out of trouble,so is unlikely to call a raise, unless hes got a very strong hand. beware of the chip leader that wants to play,and loses chips to other players putting your stack under pressure. DYMs are an easy way to double your money,but care must be taken, calling stations that will call with any 2 cards,these players can boost your chips,BUT sometimes they BINK a hand,making you the s/s. tight /aggressive is the best tactic, and position,position,position. when in the b/b if the button flats,and the s/b calls, RAISE with any 2 cards, they are telling you that they are weak, and want to see a flop.  GOOD LUCK
    Posted by bludreid11
    also thanks for advice bluereid i used that allin button few times wen it went limpfrom cutoff/button then sb made up the blind a shipped with any 2 worked everytime m8
  • edited November 2011
    Nice work Liam. Yeah they definitely require alot of discipline and dedication. but 52% is pretty decent cos you will be learning all the time.
  • edited November 2011
    I just play my natural game (with the odd exception), and at £1.15 level, it seems to work pretty well for me, with a win % of just over 70%. At £2.25 and £3.30, I'm pretty much break even with just over 55% wins (Small sample size, though). I wouldn't suggest radically changing your natural game because that's what you're most comfortable with. My 2 tips for DYM's are:

1) Don't put yourself in a situation where you're going to get blinded away. I've played 53 DYM's at £1.15 level in the last week (W38 L15) and only finished 4th twice. One of those was the chip leader calling me when behind and getting lucky, and the other was me making an awful decision (Calling an all in from a tight player with A10, d'oh!). In 53 DYMs at that level, I have never once put myself in a position where I'm sat with next to no chips and blinds eating away at my chip stack.

2) I assume you have records for DYM's - I suggest recording the positions you finish in as well if you aren't already. Despite the payouts for 1st and 3rd being the same, there's a difference between outplaying everyone and finishing 1st with 8,000 chips, and barely making it in 3rd with a chip and a chair. Equally, if you're doing something wrong, knowing whether you're getting knocked out in 4th or 6th will help you to find where you're going wrong.

Also agree with what someone else said about attacking the second short stack - At £1.15 (not sure if it's the same as you go up the levels) in the final stages, you usually end up with 2 short stacks looking to outlast each other, and 2 big stacks who are usually already celebrating and just waiting for one of the short stacks to end up calling an all in for a couple of big blinds, or even being all in on the big blind.

Hope this helps :)