You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Omahartigan Final Table, thoughts please.

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Was this the right move at the time?  FT of last nights omahartigan tourney. 
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tikay1 Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 13406.26
Giant811 Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 10360.00
  Your hole cards
  • J

pomfrittes Raise  6000.00 9000.00 66408.74
tubby28 Fold     
kimpet Raise  14000.00 23000.00 24905.00
tikay1 Fold     
Giant811 Fold     
pomfrittes Raise  39000.00 62000.00 27408.74
kimpet All-in  24905.00 86905.00 0.00
pomfrittes Unmatched bet  6095.00 80810.00 33503.74
pomfrittes Show
  • J

kimpet Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

• Q
  • Q

Turn

• Q

River

kimpet Win Full House, Queens and Aces 80810.00  80810.00

Comments

• edited November 2011
    i dont understand the raise preflop u have a good hand yes but in omaha imo any hand in omaha is good right till the flop ? i would want to see as many flops as possible in omaha i would of limped this myself 
  • edited November 2011
    i always liek to see flops in omaha.

Doesnt look terrible pre your only a 43% dog
  • edited November 2011
    doesnt look to bad you have Double suited in which both of your flush draws are clean (ie your opponent doesnt have your suits counterfeited) but when you raise and get re raised. oppo putting in 50% of his stack its quite obvious what he has... i dont mind setting him in tbh obviously how it ran out isnt good but you aren't ever that far behind getting it in v AA63
  • edited November 2011
     If we ignore the opponents hand in our thinking this becomes a lot clearer to deal with.

With your hand you have 4 of your 6 hands nut drawing JT,TT,J9 and T9 with the back up possibilities of the flush draws. This means you have a very strong hand and unless you are up against a hand like AAKQ(with both of your flushes covered) you are very unlikely to be more than a marginal underdog against any holding. Am unable to see the stack size of tubby28 but you are sat ther with at least a 2 to 1 chip advantage over all the other players which therefore allows you to play a pot for someone elses stack without causing too much damage to your own.

So for me i can see no real reason for not wanting to get involved in a big AIPF coup in this situation. You have a good chance of taking someone out with this type of hand.

Any issue i have with the play on this hand is the fact that your play dictated that it would be AIPF when you have more than enough chips to play the streets.When people are sat with a lot less chips than you they are more likely to try to get the chips in quickly rather than slowly so they would want it all in at the earliest opportunity. This combined with the pot limit aspect of the game means they are looking for a 3-betting spot rather than a raising spot.Being pot limit restricts the bet sizes and doesnt allow AIPF without help.

So the question is, What was the purpose of your raise? Was it blind stealing or was it to induce a reraise from one of the players looking for a 3-betting spot? If it was the latter then fair play because you got exactly what you wanted with a hand that plays and flops very well. But if it was the former then you ended up playing a big pot that you were unsure of your position in.

With your stack you could afford to take flops with virtually any 4 cards and then play down the streets, with this in mind limp/calling is a very good option with a hand that plays as well as yours and can flop so well.

These are just a few thoughts that have come to me about the hand and situation and in no way should take away from what i thought was a perfectly good situation to be getting all-in.
  • edited November 2011

Thanks for the replies all. 

For Talon, my reason for raising was 2 fold, to either take it down pre or induce the reraise from any of them really.

Although new to omaha i thought that this hand had so much potential that i was prepared to go to war with it if needs be.

Still learning at this omaha lark but really enjoying the omahartigan league, find it a good , cheap way to learn the game.

Thanks again for your post.

• edited November 2011
    this is actually pretty close, but given that once you open for pot there is zero fold equity and your stack is JUST short enough and you hand has enough flop equity that you'll never really be making a mistake by potting preflop and stacking of on a high % of flops, being UTG actually makes this slighty easier cos most of the time you get to commit yourself on the flop which is miles nicer than caller off.

Limping preflop would be a pretty big equity mistake as you're pretty likely to make bad folds post flop and you dont get to realise your preflop equity (which is pretty high) often enough and this will be pretty pricey to a 11bb stack.

There are defo spots where you should prolly just muck this in a tournament, maybe if you have 14-18big blinds aa fold is better but even with that stack, and espcially with 11 big blinds you;re never making a huge mistake pot/stacking off preflop. one thing, DEFO pot raise this preflop off this stack the more fold equity we have the more money we make here
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Omahartigan Final Table, thoughts please.:
    this is actually pretty close, but given that once you open for pot there is zero fold equity and your stack is JUST short enough and you hand has enough flop equity that you'll never really be making a mistake by potting preflop and stacking of on a high % of flops, being UTG actually makes this slighty easier cos most of the time you get to commit yourself on the flop which is miles nicer than caller off. Limping preflop would be a pretty big equity mistake as you're pretty likely to make bad folds post flop and you dont get to realise your preflop equity (which is pretty high) often enough and this will be pretty pricey to a 11bb stack. There are defo spots where you should prolly just muck this in a tournament, maybe if you have 14-18big blinds aa fold is better but even with that stack, and espcially with 11 big blinds you;re never making a huge mistake pot/stacking off preflop. one thing, DEFO pot raise this preflop off this stack the more fold equity we have the more money we make here
    Posted by MkeItRain
     Thanks for the reply m8 but i think you have misread the table. I am sat with 30+bb.
  • edited November 2011
    ahhhhhhyes you are right I have misread, still struggle with these HH's a bit....whoops

Idk how many blinds the 3bettor has, but it looks like he either has 24k (12bbs) or 36k (18bbs)

min rase UTG out of this stack, means we can peel 3bets easily.

if he has 36k to start then peel the 3bet and stack off when we hit a pair/draw

if he hasa 24k to start then as played this is a mandatory fold imo