You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 V NL8

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Do you think they play the same ?

Is it worth lowering your pre flop raise sizes ?

discuss )

Comments

• edited November 2011
    32p does well against most NL8 players
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    There are players at 8NL just as bad as at 4NL, there's just less of them.
  • edited November 2011
    Agree with Lambert. Loads of poor players but not as many as NL4. 

If your standard raise at NL4 is 5xBB i think 4xBB at NL8 is fine but from the button i find opening to 3xBB is ok too.
  • edited November 2011
    well after my first session today, I know 3bb with 10s pre isn't enough. Called by 52off who hit a 5 and called my reraise allin on the 8 high rainbow flop! lol!
    limited experience but my table was more agressive but that seemed to be the only difference.
  • edited November 2011
    think the regs are a little bit better and not as many fish but i always range my raises anywhere from x3 to x5 i dont just stick to one amount.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 V NL8:
    well after my first session today, I know 3bb with 10s pre isn't enough. Called by 52off who hit a 5 and called my reraise allin on the 8 high rainbow flop! lol! limited experience but my table was more agressive but that seemed to be the only difference.
    Posted by walesboy
    Surely that's a dream situation. You raise with a big pair, they hit 1pr (lower than yours) and stack off?
  • edited November 2011
    Whenever I play usually 4x UTG and UTG +1 in full table then 3x everywhere else, especially if it's folded round to button no point opening for 5x if you're doing it light, well unless you know someone will call a big raise and you have a big hand.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 V NL8 : Surely that's a dream situation. You raise with a big pair, they hit 1pr (lower than yours) and stack off?
    Posted by Lambert180
    I agree it was! just not the outcome!! Another 5 on the turn!LOL
  • edited November 2011
    Oh right lol. Shouldda known it was a bad beat story. It's still great news, play against that guy more!
  • edited November 2011
    yep if i can find him
    don't know if that sort of thing is usual for nl8 as well as nl4
    from the above i think it is
    should be fun
  • edited November 2011
    My stats since playing cash...

NL4 hands: 10402
    Profit in big blinds per 100 hands: 20

NL8 hands: 2136
    Profit in big blinds per 100 handsL -9

I know that 2000 hands isn't a massive amount but I definitely believe that NL8 plays tougher (or less easy, as some player would no doubt say).

I'm still trying to adjust my NL4 game to NL8, and so far failing.

The main difference I find is that less players will make big raises, shoves or calls with marginal hands. I am struggling to get out of the NL4 mentality whrere I don't believe the player has the hand. At NL4 I tend to be right often enough to turn a decent profit. (Obviously, I still blow my stack every now and then, running into a big hidden hand like a set.) At NL8, they seem to have the goods a lot more frequently.

I need to start being more disciplined and respectful of big re-raises (unless I have reads indicating otherwise).

• edited November 2011
    Not sure how NL8 plays at all so far. Limp fold pre and min raise pre seem to be the most common plays out there.
  • edited November 2011
    3 X in late postion, 4X early and 1bb for every caller/limper at both 4/8nl imo
  • edited November 2011
    agree with wayne here u get alot of calling stations on nl4 and nl8 so i would 4 x raise it early 
  • edited November 2011
    both fish food stakes
    tbh first sign of decent players is 100nl so just play within your roll

• edited November 2011
    My stats since playing cash... NL4 hands: 10402 Profit in big blinds per 100 hands: 20 NL8 hands: 2136 Profit in big blinds per 100 handsL -9 I know that 2000 hands isn't a massive amount but I definitely believe that NL8 plays tougher (or less easy, as some player would no doubt say). I'm still trying to adjust my NL4 game to NL8, and so far failing. The main difference I find is that less players will make big raises, shoves or calls with marginal hands. I am struggling to get out of the NL4 mentality whrere I don't believe the player has the hand. At NL4 I tend to be right often enough to turn a decent profit. (Obviously, I still blow my stack every now and then, running into a big hidden hand like a set.) At NL8, they seem to have the goods a lot more frequently. I need to start being more disciplined and respectful of big re-raises (unless I have reads indicating otherwise).
    Posted by Pysterman
    How do you find out how many hands you have played at a certain level?
  • edited November 2011
    brian, i think you may well offend some very good players at 30/40 and 50 with that comment!!!
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 V NL8 : How do you find out how many hands you have played at a certain level?
    Posted by HYPETING
    I just keep my own records of all my games and cash sessions. I don't know of any other way to obtain precise records.
  • edited November 2011
    both fish food stakes tbh first sign of decent players is 100nl so just play within your roll
    Posted by Brian666
    Well come and play some of us regs at nl20-50 and lets see who are the better players.
  • edited November 2011
    both fish food stakes tbh first sign of decent players is 100nl so just play within your roll
    Posted by Brian666
    Yer and phil iveys just above average, you sir have the logic of a very special person wp
  • edited November 2011
    Posted by Brian666    
      eeediout!
  • edited November 2011

LOL - a 20nl reg

why?

Im a 100nl reg on stars playing as my wifes name helen_gamble

since moving here i play less on stars due to the time i can play now.

i have nothing to prove but if i can be bothered to play at 20nl i will come play you

BTW i stand by my post 4nl and 8nl are fish stakes and i have yet to see anyone decent at lower than 100nl which by the way im running at 14bb/100 over 5k hands so i m crushing that level too

que all the haters..................

• edited November 2011
    you can email support and they will tell you the breakdown if you need them

thats how i know i have played 5400 hands since 8th oct when i joined sky and that im runnning at 14bb/100

btw BB isnt big blinds its big bets

1 x BB equals 2 big blinds so 14bb is 28 big blinds per 100 hands

to work it out you simply do this

Profit divided by the Big Blind you are playing = x
    x / 2 = Big Bets
    Big bets x 100 divided by total number hands played at that level
    = BB/100

thats how you judge a good player from a donk and a great player from a fish

4bb is solid over 250k hands
    anything above that and you are owning
    most winning regs are at 2bb

• edited November 2011
    Ooooh! someones won some pennies and got all exicited, would you like a blue peter badge sir?