You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Bubble play

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Recently changed back to DYMs from cash and have had some good results but find that I struggle sometimes with bubble play on them so have a lot of 4th finishes that with taking stack sizes at the time I had a good chance of still cashing.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips for bubble play on DYMs.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    learn about icm. Read johnconnor's blog or anyother good guides you can find online for dyms
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    Don't get too aggro unless you're the short stack.  As long as you're not the short stack, stick to waiting for spots to shove with hands like AJ+ and 88+ where you'll more than likely just steal the blinds, which is fine, if not, you're usually in decent shape. You have gotta win a race in these DYMs sometimes tho.

Someone said it to me recently and I've taken it on board that you should only start shoving lighter than normal if you're the short stack. Otherwise, there's no need.
  • edited November 2011
    Personally, I prefer to keep being aggressive(ish). Only call a raise with a big hand, definitely, but you can raise with whatever you want if nobody has raised or called before you if you wish to do so. Your opponent still has to have a hand to call you, regardless of whether you're raising with QQ or 72, because they don't know that you're making that raise with garbage, and if you've got more chips than them, they won't risk their entire stack re-raising you, or a large percentage of their stack making a call without a premium hand.

I don't know what level you're playing at and whether it's the same for you at presumably higher levels, but I find at £1.15, the blinds are often sat there, waiting to be stolen by a 2.5-3BB raise from me on the button or Small Blind. Most of the time, the blinds won't bother to fight back (especially if you've got a big enough stack to harm them), and if they do, folding garbage to a re-raise is pretty easy. In almost 60 DYM's at £1.15, I've not once had a situation where I've had a decent sized stack and thrown it away by being too aggressive, so it's just about picking your spots as much as anything else.
  • edited November 2011

My play depends on stack sizes, position, and any action before me.

If I'm a big stack, I just chill and let the others make their desperation moves and only get involved with premium hands (or take the blinds when I can to keep my stack healthy)

As a short stack however, I prefer having that first-in vigorish and will do so with any pair, 2 face cards, Ax and even low suited connectors. Only need the luck when somebody calls and if they don't, the blinds are still enough for a little breathing room. For me it is all about picking the right spots (and opponents)

It has worked well for me, but I may have to start adjusting to the higher stakes.