You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HU nl20, Tricky spot on the river vs reg

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Villain is a reg, is capable of bluffing here

I had stacked him earlier where he rivered trips which filled up my house, i had aces he hit top pair on flop called 3 streets with me 3betting pre. Not alot of other interesting hands pretty even

should i be bet/folding river? check/calling? or as played just call?

thoughts please thank you. i'm obviously not beating much but a bluff here, i dont think he ever has straight here as well 88 he would have folded on flop/turn IMO
YOUNG_GUN Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £30.22
Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £32.19
  Your hole cards

YOUNG_GUN Raise  £0.50 £0.80 £29.72
Call  £0.40 £1.20 £31.79
Flop

• A

xCheck     
YOUNG_GUN Bet  £0.80 £2.00 £28.92
xCall  £0.80 £2.80 £30.99
Turn

xCheck     
YOUNG_GUN Bet  £2.20 £5.00 £26.72
xCall  £2.20 £7.20 £28.79
River

xCheck     
YOUNG_GUN Bet  £5.40 £12.60 £21.32
xRaise  £14.80 £27.40 £13.99
YOUNG_GUN      

Comments

• edited November 2011
    ugh

well hes repping the flush! or he has it! so go with your gut!

i think the experts will say b/f tho
  • edited November 2011
    if he never has a straight I would call this getting nearly 3/1. Dont see why he never has one though, idk dont really play enough heads up to help, I prob sighfold
  • edited November 2011
    BTW ignore check/ call option was obv just waffling away

if you should call should you not be shoving to get value for the times your ahead? or just flatting to minimise loses for when they have the flush
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: HU nl20, Tricky spot on the river vs reg:
    BTW ignore check/ call option was obv just waffling away if you should call should you not be shoving to get value for the times your ahead? or just flatting to minimise loses for when they have the flush
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN
    you need to win more often when you shove, even if he calls 100%. If we call we are paying 9.40 to win 27.40. If we shove we pay ~23.40 to win 41.40. Also he folds some of his bluffs when we shove
  • edited November 2011

awww i seee cheers for doing that grantorino ijust naturally assumed shove would be better then a call but as we can see he is calling 100% time so shoving isnt really that great

think i should bet/fold i did know this but such a fish cant fold sets even when this obvious im beat :(

• edited November 2011
    feels like yuk to call doesn't i, but I am a station and call so....

fink i would prefer to c/c on the end though, catch his bluffs or get some value from worse 
  • edited November 2011
    feels like yuk to call doesn't i, but I am a station and call so.... fink i would prefer to c/c on the end though, catch his bluffs or get some value from worse 
    Posted by rancid
    My mistake you cant c/c because we have position we check for showdown eg. miss out on value from worse hands
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: HU nl20, Tricky spot on the river vs reg : My mistake you cant c/c because we have position we check for showdown eg. miss out on value from worse hands
    Posted by YOUNG_GUN

yah my bad
    I guess oppo is bluffing or got you beat then, b/f seems perfectly apt.

Does oppo check over on river in this situation when holding monster?

Think, if oppo is very capable of trying it on to get you to b/f  then I would call, but saying that it might be the very reason to fold )

Why does checking back always seem like a good move once you get raised !! 

• edited November 2011
    I have never seen them check a monster OOP on the river, i dont think they're good enough lol no offence if your reading this ;)
  • edited November 2011
    Although it is possible he is doing an out of possition float on you (that 9c is a pretty scary river for just about anything you could have) but I agree it's unlikely he has called the turn with an 8 just to hit a middle pin straight so he could only realistically have A8 to have the straight.

Thing that worries me is his hand is pretty polarised by that river card and if he was bluffing the river he would probably shove for maximum fold equity. Making it £14.80 leaving £14 behind looks as though he's inviting you to shove.

Personally I think I would check behind on the river to avoid this situation. As played I probably call, because I think he can show up with two pair (A9 or T9) or a bluff often enough. But I'm not happy about it.
  • edited November 2011

That is a disgusting river card, i'd rather just check behind. But then again, I suck at pokers

• edited November 2011
    nasty river here im deffo check calling this you put a value bet in but did u think when u bet the river what would happen if u get raised ? check call but as played i would have to call ya getting 2/1 ya money 
  • edited November 2011

what would villain do on the river here with two pair type hands?  if he is capable of folding them then i dont see why youre betting because surely there is nothing left for him to call you with that you are beating

although it feels dirty to check the river back i think its your best option here.

as played i think you got to fold river

• edited November 2011
    Fold,sadly his 88 beat your set.I take it the calling st got lucky?
  • edited November 2011
    Nasty river there matey , if this is me and i prob did play this hand exactly as ya did then its a fold for me , as i dont think he is reppin the flush , i think he has it.
  • edited November 2011
    bet fold is going to be stnd, you're calling 9.40 to win 36.80 so you need to be beating him ~25/26% of the time so i guess if you feel he has some bluffs then its not gonna be a bad call. I think the main question is what is he bluffing with, is he the type to turn a hand like AxJc into a bluff or even a hand like 67, if he can you can prolly call pretty easy as someone good could have a TON of hands he could be bluffing with here.

also his value range - is he only raising flushes for value? or does he raise 8x's as well? if he is caoable of raising an 8 for value then thats another reason to fold. Never shove imo