You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The books arrived today!!! nice!!!

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
Well my poker books finally arrived today!! got loads of reading to do now :( which to anyone who knows me personally i am a doer defo not a reader!! but poker has hooked my so much that although there are a combined 1800 page count to read i am really looking forward to it!!! 

what i am going to do if it is ok with Rich ( will message him in a minute to see if this ok ) is i am going to keep a diary on here from a newbies perspective and regularly post what i have learnt and misunderstood before and give details of some tournaments that i enter applying my new knowledge :) hopefully it might be of some interest to someone :)

Comments

• edited October 2009
    What are the books?
  • edited October 2009
    Save it for a future blog mate, it would make excellent reading.
  • edited October 2009
      I know the books you were advised to read, and my suggestion would be to treat them as a pick'n'mix. Take little bits from each that you can use to meld in with your style of play. Harrington is regarded as being very Rock-like and Hansen is as loose as they come. If you try combining their methods then you will not know whether you are coming or going. Hope the books help your game and allow you to take it to the next level
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: The books arrived today!!! nice!!!:
    What are the books?
    Posted by elsadog
    Gus hansen - every hand revealed ( will be taking earlier advice from the thread lol )

Dan Harrington - no limit hold em' tournament strategy volume 1

Colin moshman - sit n go strategy

Paul Mendelson - Texas hold em' win online

There is a good mix of styles in the books, at the moment i play really tight as i am still finding my feet so the aim is to have a mix of styles so it makes it harder for opponents to read me. bcause at the moment people must love playing me as i am easy to read :(

• edited October 2009
    I've got the Colin Moshman - An excellent read although his advice on DYM's or tourneys with fixed prizes such as satellites is a little short.
  • edited October 2009
    Save it for a future blog mate, it would make excellent reading.
    Posted by Hale72
    i did think about that hale, but i will need to record as i go or i will never remember all of it if you see what i mean :) and you were right just missed out on blog, but rich did message me saying it might be possible next time :)
  • edited October 2009
    Good mix but u need to order Harrington 2. Book 1 only goes so far.
  • edited October 2009
      I know the books you were advised to read, and my suggestion would be to treat them as a pick'n'mix. Take little bits from each that you can use to meld in with your style of play. Harrington is regarded as being very Rock-like and Hansen is as loose as they come. If you try combining their methods then you will not know whether you are coming or going. Hope the books help your game and allow you to take it to the next level
    Posted by Talon

i see what you mean, i just read a couple of pages of the gus hansen book and he is talking about a hand he played heads up with ross boatman he flops trip 6's and says trips are not easy to come by, then goes onto say checking would be a reasonable option, but i prefer to go for the throat straight away! just reading that page if you didn't know gus as a player you would b thinking jeeesssss i never want to play cards with him!! lol so now i understand comment from previos thread that i should read that one last  :)))))))
  • edited October 2009
    Good mix but u need to order Harrington 2. Book 1 only goes so far.
    Posted by elsadog
    its on order as we speak :)
  • edited October 2009

It's good in the 'Hood.
  • edited October 2009
    You do make me laugh Boss!! that is your new name isn't it lol and you need to corret it lol it's " all's good in the hood " :)
  • edited October 2009
    TK rapping again?
  • edited October 2009
  • edited October 2009
    I've got the Paul Mendelson book, and found it a decent read.  I should actually have a re-read of it now I'm a litlle more adept at the game than when I read it previously.  I'd recommend it as a good starting book for anyone, I read it only a couple of months after I started playing and didn't find anything in it that I found confusing or didn't feel I could follow.
  • edited October 2009
    I've got the Paul Mendelson book, and found it a decent read.  I should actually have a re-read of it now I'm a litlle more adept at the game than when I read it previously.  I'd recommend it as a good starting book for anyone, I read it only a couple of months after I started playing and didn't find anything in it that I found confusing or didn't feel I could follow.
    Posted by repton3
    sounds like it's gonna be a good read :)
  • edited October 2009
    I think I can see one slight drawback, with all these books to read when exactly will you have any time to actually PLAY poker??
  • edited October 2009
    I think I can see one slight drawback, with all these books to read when exactly will you have any time to actually PLAY poker??
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    good point! one i had not rally thought of lol :) well i mainly play at the weekends anyways as i like to be relaxed when i play, it's vary rare i play through the week as i am tired generally. so mon - thurs reading fri - sun applying what i have learnt :)
  • edited October 2009
    super system is still a great read....
  • edited October 2009
    I read one of these books and it gave a hand example on the 1st page. I played poker for 2 weeks until i got these hole cards in the same position. I played exactly how the books author did and lost the heap to AA. That was 2 years ago and ive reached the 5th example and still havnt won a hand at this rate it will be 10 years before i finish the thing, what a con, im just gonna try being lucky from now on.
  • edited October 2009
    I will get the super system some point no worries on that score! loonytoons the books are not for me to copy the hands or examples, but more to give me a better understanding of the technical side of things like the odds and %'s etc because at the moment my main knowledge is the hand rankings and dead basic stuff! so it's more for that than anything really :)
  • edited October 2009
    I will get the super system some point no worries on that score! loonytoons the books are not for me to copy the hands or examples, but more to give me a better understanding of the technical side of things like the odds and %'s etc because at the moment my main knowledge is the hand rankings and dead basic stuff! so it's more for that than anything really :)
    Posted by margatemaf
    Forget all about these books, all you need is the Hot-o-Meter lol