You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

25-50p cash tables pocket aces

This was a 25/50p table Just wandering what any one thinks of this hand, i had the two black aces on the big blind. One person raises to £2 i re raise to £10 he calls. Flop comes down 10 of hearts, ace of hearts, 9 of spades, i check and he checks, turn comes Q of spades. At this point I push all in for £50 he eventually calls for all his chips. River comes as 2 of spades he hit flush, did I play this hand really badly? please help!

Comments

• edited June 2009
    You should have bet after the flop instead of checking, as here you have gave him an extra card to see. You knew you was ahead from the flop and if you had bet big he would not have called with no flush draw on at this point. Slow playing great hands like this can sometimes work but most of the time they come back to haunt you! Also you got him calling the £10 pre flop so the pot was worth just taking there and then when you saw the ace on the flop.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to 25-50p cash tables pocket aces:
     This was a 25/50p table Just wandering what any one thinks of this hand, i had the two black aces on the big blind. One person raises to £2 i re raise to £10 he calls. Flop comes down 10 of hearts, ace of hearts, 9 of spades, i check and he checks, turn comes Q of spades. At this point I push all in for £50 he eventually calls for all his chips. River comes as 2 of spades he hit flush, did I play this hand really badly? please help!
    Posted by K9HANDLER
    i realise that but had no idea why he called pre flop.
  • edited June 2009
    What was his hand?
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: 25-50p cash tables pocket aces:
    What was his hand?
    Posted by Mozza1987
    he had 8 6 of spades
  • edited June 2009
    Stupid call by him then and he got very lucky but i think if you had bet big after the flop you would have got rid of him. I had a similar probably on PokerStars today check out my post just below this one. It annoys me when you get players who don't have a clue with what they are doing and just call anything.
  • edited June 2009
    ok cheers mate he tried to justify his call pre flop the fact that if he hit he would win big!
  • edited June 2009
    ok cheers mate he tried to justify his call pre flop the fact that if he hit he would win big!
    Posted by K9HANDLER
    FIRST what was the villans stack size in comparason to yours? and the type of player /read u had on him(my view from your info would be loose and thier for likley to call with any connected trash)as for the play,

Can't fault it pre flop,except may be if he's that loose a £6 raise would have been my play for a call/reraise for the flop,with the hand you had in the hope of traping,the flop comes and its xmas!!!
    Now post flop(Not knowing stack size)id have put him all in,a check here can only weaken your hand with aflush draw on borad ,if he calls your still ahead.

Or you could of try pot or3/4 raise for the turn, a call or raise here would mayb given you a better read on his hand but even so, i don't think im that good aplayer to lay down trip a's (all in no worry on later streets) in fact i would of check/raised.

BUT HE CALLED YOUR SOUND PLAY WITH RUBBISH GOT LUCKY AND WON THE POT! LEARN TO LOVE POOR PLAYERS LIKE THIS(what's the name please) mark them and they will become your profit!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2009
    You played it absolutely fine. Youre being results orientated if you think otherwise. Look at it this way. When all the money went in on the turn you were a 70% favourite. so seven times out of ten your gonna win £50(assuming he had a £50 stack)and the other 3 times you lose 50.

7 x £50 = £350
    3 x £50 = £150

£350 - £150 = £200

So this play would make you £200 pound if you ran it ten times.

Now say for example you decided to bet the flop instead to take it down there and he folds 100% of the time because he has no draw...

so theres £20 in preflop(£10 his) plus the 75p blinds so the pot on the flop is £20.75 and you bet £15 for example but he folds so you only win his £10 plus 75p blinds so even though you pick up the pot every time and he doesnt outdraw you over 10 hands you would only make a profit of 10 x £10.75 = £107.50.

So in the long run even though the way you played it you might sometimes get outdrawn you'll still make nearly double what you would if you bet the flop and he folds. Playing cash is all about making the absolute maximum amount of money you can with your big hands. If you dont do this then you just slowly leak money. You took the line that is gonna make you the most money in the long run and whatever way you look at it he is gonna lose money playing like that so he might be up £50 this hand but he wont keep it for long.

Hope that makes sense.
  • edited June 2009
    So this play would make you £200 pound if you ran it ten times...

you only win his £10 plus 75p blinds so even though you pick up the pot every time and he doesnt outdraw you over 10 hands you would only make a profit of 10 x £10.75 = £107.50. So in the long run even though the way you played it you might sometimes get outdrawn you'll still make nearly double what you would if you bet the flop and he folds.
    Posted by offshoot
    This. Very good post offshoot.
  • edited June 2009
    Thankyou guys i feel alot better about my play now!
  • edited June 2009
    8 6 spades ftw :)
  • edited June 2009
  • edited June 2009
    Posted by Chrissy_C
    this is the man above hunt him down sharks and eat the little tiddler up! lol
  • edited June 2009
    everyone join k9's tables he gives u free cards ;). Youve got me back since this hand mate so your happy now.
  • edited June 2009
    i think the all in bet was a bit much.you got unlucky at the end of the day it was a weak call for a 20% chance and he hit,what can you do?
  • edited June 2009

I agree that K9's play pre-flop was fine. The 8 6 suited call was a bit of a stretch but people like to try and crack big pocket pairs with them - I admit that I do like raising with low to middle suited connectors... in position though. What I don't like about K9's play is giving someone a free card after the flop came down... unless you have the absolute nuts hand and you want the other player to catch something to get him or her interested.
    You should always make them pay to see another card!

• edited June 2009
    In Response to 25-50p cash tables pocket aces:
    Posted by K9HANDLER
    Pre flop fine you were unlucky that he called 20bb pre that is huge for a cash game and he was oop with 86 that is a losing play for him in the long run the flop bring you the nuts and would have had £20 roughly in pot bet £15 take it down.Sometimes winning a good size pot is better than losing your whole stack.Slowplaying your way is good sometimes as well as they might hit a turn or bluff you as you checked but i prefer fast play over slow play esp in cash games.Oh ul btw he didnt have odds to call to hit his flush with 1 card to come either.