You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

headache hand

Ok i was playing the 50p/£1 tables and my luck has been horendous over the last few days, ive been set up with hands such as q-q vs k-k and j-j vs q-q. 

im UTG+1 with pocket Q's and raise to £5
the guy on the button raises to £15
BB calls,

now im slightly cautious here because i dont want to be set up again but i peel a flop. 

Flop comes 6-J-J rainbow

BB checks, 
i bet £15 into the pot of around £45 to try and get an idea for where i am.
The re-raiser pre-flop goes allin for about £70
then the BB goes allin for around the same amount.

What do i do!? ive been very unlucky and surely i am beat with 2 players going allin, one of them either has an overpair in which im extremely unlucky or they have made a speculative move with A-J K-J and flopped a monster.

in the end i fold, the cards remain face down and the remaining cards are turned over

Turn - 9
River - K

The guy on the button shows 10-10
the guy in the BB mucks

button wins the hand with 2 pairs 10's and J's

should i have gone allin with q-q baring in mind my luck and the fact that 2 players had gone allin before me. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Ridiculous calling two all-ins on a paired board with your overpair. At least one of them HAD to have the J.
  • edited June 2009

I dont think so, you went with your gut and sometimes you got to lay the winning hand down when all the betting is so strong you have every reason to have to believe the bets especially when the BB calls.

Good fold, but obviously dont know much about the history of the preflop RR and BB so you would know more about there range of starting hands.

Would be interesting to see the BB cards to move all in he must of put the pre flop RR on.....well not much especially after moving all in.

Some interesting decisions anyways.

• edited June 2009

When a guy flats a raise and a reraise from the bb the danger sirens have to be ringing in your ears, unless you know he is really poor, even more so considering the raises were so big pre flop. AA or KK is the bbs holding a lot here.

With the bb playing the hand the way he did he is gonna have a lock over your hand a huge % of the time, like 95%
    plus imo. Unless you have knowledge that he is an absoute loony you cant call and even if you knew he was a nutcase chances are you are behind to 1 of your opponents.

The button shoving on the flop was pretty bad too, who is gonna call 99% of the time that he has beaten on that flop? At least you got a lot of info on your 2 opponents that you can put to good use in future.

The fold from you was standard and just because it turned out to be one of the few times ever that your hand is gonna be good there doesnt mean that, in retrospect, you should even think about having called there.

• edited June 2009

Wp throughout I think.

Pre-flop is fine, a case could be made for folding but i'd probably need notes on them telling me they were solid players to fold, since some players at this level can have a lot of gamble.

Flop is fine. You led out to find out what was going on, and you were given two very loud answers. Muck it and move onto the next hand.

Try not to be results orientated here, you're crushed here such a huge percentage of the time that folding this once when you have the best hand really isn't a big deal. Just very quickly whack a quick summary of the hands into their notes so you have more info on them for the next time you clash.

One last thing, you said that the button showed his Tens at the end, and the BB mucked? That sounds awfully weird to me, as usually on a cash game on sky, when all the chips were in with cards to come, when it comes to the showdown the player to the left of the button has to show first? I may be wrong but i'm fairly sure that's usually the case?

• edited June 2009
    Young'un is right. I've been in a similar situation while holding AA and put them down, the villain having trips with a paired board.

Other times like you, I've folded decent pairs to all-ins where the showdown has shown that I would've beat both players.

As mentioned, at least you've got info should you ever play them again!
  • edited June 2009
    i had a decent amount of information on them both, the guy on the button was 'Icemanwill' who i have to be a really agressive player. I would have called his allin, but the player on the button was 'bonniedog' who i have to be a tight consistent player. I folded because she/he went allin and i expected her to have a really strong hand at this stage.
  • edited June 2009
    i dont understand the rules on showing your hands but the bb definately mucked their hand. I would like to have known what she had bearing in mind she hadn't got a J and didnt river a K. Maybe thought the button was at it and called with 9-9 or something.
  • edited June 2009
    Play my hand request FTW!
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: headache hand:
    i had a decent amount of information on them both, the guy on the button was 'Icemanwill' who i have to be a really agressive player. I would have called his allin, but the player on the button was 'bonniedog' who i have to be a tight consistent player. I folded because she/he went allin and i expected her to have a really strong hand at this stage.
    Posted by hurst05
    SO Bonnie called the all-in and lost to Iceman?

Seems a very strange call on their part.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: headache hand : SO Bonnie called the all-in and lost to Iceman? Seems a very strange call on their part.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    correct, bonniedog called icemanwill's allin but then mucked at the end because she had lost the hand. 
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: headache hand : correct, bonniedog called icemanwill's allin but then mucked at the end because she had lost the hand. 
    Posted by hurst05
    Seems very out of character from Bonnie that does...
  • edited June 2009
    You made the raise and got your answer - twice. No problem with that, if the re-raiser doesn't have a jack, the guy behind certainly will.
  • edited June 2009
    Your problem is 2 fold. First of all, you don't sound in the correct mental state to be playing this level atthe moment. If your inner thoughts are feeling you're gonna get sucked out on everytime you get a monster you're not playing it as you normally would.  The 2nd problem u face is the BB. By them calling pre flop and then the all in on the flop you gotta have alarm bells ringing.  I think everytime Im folding my QQ there.  There's a fair few combinations of hands that have u beat and i reckon u made the right decision. 

I actually believe u played the hand well throughout and shouldnt beat urself up about it mate.
  • edited June 2009

What was hand ID or when was it I will try and look it up and see what I had.
    I dont remember hand I do around 700 hands a hour lol.
    Are you sure hand went like this cos I cant think of a hand I would go in with there worse than 1010.
    Although I make many mistakes a night as I play a fair few tables.

• edited June 2009

hurst05
    Small blind £0.50 £0.50 £142.65
    ICEMANWILL Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £49.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

jimmynoleg Fold     
    bonniedog Raise  £4.00 £5.50 £229.79
    hurst05 Call  £3.50 £9.00 £139.15
    ICEMANWILL Raise  £16.00 £25.00 £33.00
    bonniedog Call  £13.00 £38.00 £216.79
    hurst05 Call  £13.00 £51.00 £126.15
    Flop

• J
    • J

hurst05 Check     
    ICEMANWILL All-in  £33.00 £84.00 £0.00
    bonniedog Call  £33.00 £117.00 £183.79
    hurst05 Fold     
    Turn

River

• K

ICEMANWILL Show

bonniedog Muck
    • Q
    • A

ICEMANWILL Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s £115.20  £115.20
  • edited June 2009
    Not quite as you described,

I had nut flush draw, getting 3 to 1 on my money. I was actually 49.141% to win the hand on the flop.

Dont take this wrong way but you played hand badly. Am not going to spell it out for you but have a good think what you should have done, both pre flop and flop.
  • edited June 2009
    hmmm, thought i raised pre-flop, never mind, i still couldnt call on the flop tbh. I like to just call with j-j or q-q when raised before me, just the way i like to play those bigish pocket pairs.

doesnt suprise me to see you had the nut flush draw, didnt think you would go in with nothing.
  • edited June 2009

Firstly, thanks to bonniedog for posting the actual hand. Hurst, maybe in future before you post a hand you should check the hand history to make sure you remember it correctly. This also explains why Bonnie was able to muck her losing hand because she was actually on the button.

Righty, first off I have never played with bonnie before so I'm going on no info here, but we should be re-raising pre-flop out of the blinds. There are plenty of flops we're not going to like and we're OOP too, so we need to get a better idea of where we are pre IMO. Having said that Bonnie is a tight, conservative player, this makes it all the more important that you re-raise because you're going to find out pretty quickly if she has you crushed, especially as ICEMANWILL might be calling the re-raise too. Additionally it makes the flop so much easier to play.

As played pre, I think check-folding the flop is the right line. Certainly once you check you can't call behind the all-in and the call. I'm not sure I want to be leading out as alarm bells should have sounded before we even saw the flop.

• edited June 2009
    hurst05 Small blind £0.50 £0.50 £142.65 ICEMANWILL Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £49.00   Your hole cards Q A       jimmynoleg Fold         bonniedog Raise   £4.00 £5.50 £229.79 hurst05 Call   £3.50 £9.00 £139.15 ICEMANWILL Raise   £16.00 £25.00 £33.00 bonniedog Call   £13.00 £38.00 £216.79 hurst05 Call   £13.00 £51.00 £126.15 Flop     4 J J       hurst05 Check         ICEMANWILL All-in   £33.00 £84.00 £0.00 bonniedog Call   £33.00 £117.00 £183.79 hurst05 Fold         Turn     9       River     K       ICEMANWILL Show 10 10       bonniedog Muck Q A       ICEMANWILL Win Two Pairs, Jacks and 10s £115.20   £115.20
    Posted by bonniedog
    How did you manage to display the hand in this format Bonnie?
  • edited June 2009

I just found it in hand history, highlighted page ctrl+c then ctrl+v onto post. They have recently improved the hand history function and put it in this format.

• edited June 2009
    Are you sure this is the same hand? It played nothing like the OP posted - he never even raised once let alone twice.....
  • edited June 2009
    yes its the same hand, my fault for not remembering correctly as it happened a couple days before i posted this.
  • edited June 2009
    Raise big preflop with QQ here, bet out on this flop that has probably missed everyone (there is really only one hand they are likely calling a large PF raise with, and that's JJ. Someone may be spec-calling with AJ or maybe a really loose KJ, but by betting preflop you remove most of your headaches. You tried to slow play it which you should never do with QQ+ in my book, and when all the money went in, figured you were crushed and folded a premium hand and are now feeling bad about it.

The guy with Ten-Ten is probably folding to someone raising pre and C-betting since what is he beating especially since he's piggy-in-the-middle? And if bonnie shoves then you can call since you're up against one player and even if she hits her flush you have outs for the redraw.