You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 getting harder?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Been playing NL4 again because I had to use some of my bankroll for a water bill. And either I'm going through a bad patch, I was going through a heater the last time I played NL4 or the field has gotten tougher.

Seriously. In the last 2 weeks I've lost £15 playing NL4. Whereas last time i went from £80 - £200 in about 5 weeks two months ago? What's going on.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I don't really know if NL4 is harder than it was because I've only been on the site a couple of weeks, but I've noticed quite a lot of players who are more than capable of playing at higher levels on the NL4 tables, I don't know if that's always been the case or not. For instance, I saw GREGHOGG multitabling at NL4 the other day, think he won one of the Vegas satellite things and played in the WSOP a couple of years back if memory serves me correctly (I was too young to sign up to the site at the time but remember watching the channel), so there's definitely some better than average players playing on NL4 tables.

The only thing I can say is to watch a table or two for a couple of orbits, look for people who you think are weaker players, and join that table. I also tend to look for people buying in for the default £1.60, as for the most part, the stronger players will usually start with the maximum £4.
  • edited November 2011
    Just the same imo, maybe have a look at your table selection.
    Choosing thr right table makes all the differance
    I know you play 6-8 tables so... maybe you have not considered this before just load and play ?

• edited November 2011
    Its all in the table selection old boy.

You dont sit at a table with the likes of rancid, yourself, thedon90, robyoung, bahhh etc, you know, all the regs. Not because your scared, but because there is so much easier tables. Its fine having one or two regs on your table but i find playing tables where you dont really know anyone to be fairly profitable. Also, look for tables with players playing with under the 100xbb limit. You obviously dont want to be sat with 5 people with 40p in front but go for a mix of stacks between £1 and £3 and they are usually weaker players. You will know alot of the better players at that level as you have played there before so stay away from them and pick off the easy winnings somewhere else.

Another thing i like to keep next to me is a list of players who i have played before who i would love to play every day, you know, the maniacs who love shoving, or the players who do not really understand the game but enjoy playing and think top pair with a 2 kicker is the nuts. I know that sounds horrible and may put me in a bad light but i was (some say still am) one of these players who didnt quite understand whats going on and i got picked apart to begin with but i got my backside in to gear and worked at it. Most players dont work at their game, so target those players. That sounds awful but its how to select your tables in my opinion.

Hope you are back at NL8 and NL10 soon Jungle. Should'nt take you too long.
  • edited November 2011
    Sit at a table with 1 or no regs 
    watch and play two orbits, you can quickly work out where the easy money is

having a list of all the dead money is good, but there's so much of it you will have a massive list and you hardly see these rec players all the time - once in a while tbh

List the players that stack light and play regular, search for them, this is easier.
    Good tip follow the reg that hunts the easy money )

good luck
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: NL4 getting harder?:
    Sit at a table with 1 or no regs  watch and play two orbits, you can quickly work out where the easy money is having a list of all the dead money is good, but there's so much of it you will have a massive list and you hardly see these rec players all the time - once in a while tbh List the players that stack light and play regular, search for them, this is easier. Good tip follow the reg that hunts the easy money ) good luck
    Posted by rancid

Is that why you sometimes join my tables, or is it because i am on your list of fish? ;-)
  • edited November 2011
    Sit at a table with 1 or no regs  watch and play two orbits, you can quickly work out where the easy money is having a list of all the dead money is good, but there's so much of it you will have a massive list and you hardly see these rec players all the time - once in a while tbh List the players that stack light and play regular, search for them, this is easier. Good tip follow the reg that hunts the easy money ) good luck
    Posted by rancid
    Rancid, you keep turning up on my tables, are you stalking me for easy money??? ;o(
  • edited November 2011

In answer to your question jugglegeek, without doubt NL4 is getting harder, I blame Tikay, Carlo et al. So table selection and good notes are becoming extremely important. 
  • edited November 2011
    Table selcetion as everyone has said is very simple to do and means you have a better chance of winning, every time I sit at ANY table I put the names of the players I don't already have notes on in find a player and if they play 2+ tables they're given a 'Multitable X tables NLX' tag, this doesn't mean they're Phil Ivey but usually means they want to make money not have fun so are of no use to me.

I don't really think having a list of bad players is important as most bad players play one table and the times they play is very random, they're recreational not REGS. I do however give the DEAD MONEY NLX tag to truly awful players and then when I join the table sat with 3+ of these I know I've a good chance of getting some profit.

On the question of NL4 getting harder that would be unlikely as there's always new blood starting out down there and any decent players are usually using it as a stepping stone to the next level so shouldn't just set up base camp.
  • edited November 2011
    every time I sit at ANY table I put the names of the players I don't already have notes on in find a player and if they play 2+ tables they're given a 'Multitable X tables NLX' tag, this doesn't mean they're Phil Ivey but usually means they want to make money not have fun so are of no use to me.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Is it bad that I've never thought of doing that before? :\ I usually just note the weaker players with a <><
  • edited November 2011
    Yh if that's your tag great doesn't matter what it is as long as you have one.

I would try and note the beter player too although there shoudn't be many at NL4/8 even 10.
  • edited November 2011

Just come and find me Juggle. Free money m8.