You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A,K suited. Is this a insta shove?

I really did'nt want to post this as i am sure i have just had a bad run but over the last couple of weeks i have lost 20%ish of my bankroll and it is mainly due to, what i think, is overplaying A,K. This hand has single handedly cost me around 10-15% of my bankroll recently and although i dont think i am doing much wrong, it is just happening too often and doubt is just starting to creep in.

I never used to see A,K as a shoving hand in cash but i have read on here on a few samples that i should be playing it stronger than i was originally but since starting to play it uber aggro it has cost me loads. This is the very first hand i have been dealt on this table so no reads on villains.

Just need a check, and maybe a little reassurance about it.

Also, what sort of hands do you put villains on?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Thalion10 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £6.72
DrSharp Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.92
MAW1990 Big blind  £0.08 £0.20 £3.12
Brinkley06 Big blind  £0.08 £0.28 £1.27
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

DarkRubz Fold     
Razazelo Fold     
MAW1990 Check     
FoxtrotO Fold     
BLOCKBUSTE Fold     
chris7474 Fold     
Brinkley06 Check     
paulyboy18 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £6.29
Thalion10 Call  £0.04 £0.40 £6.68
DrSharp Raise  £0.64 £1.04 £7.28
MAW1990 Fold     
Brinkley06 Call  £0.64 £1.68 £0.63
paulyboy18 All-in  £6.29 £7.97 £0.00
Thalion10 Fold     
DrSharp All-in  £7.28 £15.25 £0.00
Brinkley06 All-in  £0.63
Like i say, maybe i am just not winning the flips recently, but is this OK? And will it be profitable over time?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Unless you have some pretty good reads I can't see how you can fold pre after he's just limped button.

Also he isn't full stacked ~80bbs so even less liability on your part.

Defo call and then get some notes lol
  • edited November 2011
    shove it in, unless action dictates otherwise it's fine to get 100bb in with AK

• edited November 2011

Dudeskin you say call and get some notes? he doesnt need to call here to see what pauly has because brinkley is never folding.

I think you can fold hes limp raised an 8xbb raise for his entire stack, we are really only hoping that he has QQ or AQ here.

• edited November 2011
    Would he really shove with AA/KK, maybe he does but I'm pretty sure there's plenty of other Aces in his range like AJ/A10 and medium pairs just trying to isolate short stack thinking he can make you fold most marginal hands.

If he had limp raised to around £1.60 I'd be much more suspicous but shove looks like scared play to me, again maybe that's the wrong thinking but I would think we're ahead a decent amount of the time here.
  • edited November 2011
    well paulyboy is quite bad from what i remember so i can imagine that has AA/KK quite easily here.
  • edited November 2011
    Well if you have reads obvz it's easier to find reason to fold but going totally readless I'm not folding AK in this situation.

DrSharp, results please :)
  • edited November 2011

Only a fool makes the same mistake twice

How do you know if your not the fool 

• edited November 2011
    I hate having to put my stack in the pot pre flop with AK, but with only KK/AA being not what you want to see I think you have to call here.
  • edited November 2011
    this seems like a tournement play getting all your stack in on a k u have like 90 big blinds u raised big to 64 p then guy shoves all in imo he has only 1 of 2 hands a rerally high pair kk or aa or same hand as u i would fold this even if u are up against a pair its still a flip but if ya happy with a flip y not gamble but u cant be ahead here in my opinion
  • edited November 2011
    Its a gamble and you know that it could be a coin flip here, any pocket pair in my opinon, depends on how flushed you are money wise and if your happy to lose it on a race, they are suited so you got some more outs on top of just over cards, you can even pos beat him if he does have pk As. Id make the call i think on cash.
  • edited November 2011
    Alright. I was really loathe to post the results due to the odd smart comment about brag post, but seriously, over the last couple of weeks playing this kind of hand out with A,K has cost me quite a bit as i am usually up against a pocket pair or someone binks a flush or straight or something. Maybe it was just me running bad but i have a problem playing A,K this aggressive as i dont seem to win races as often as i should.

I think i could have found a fold if the all-in shove by paulyboy was from UTG position but i couldnt see even the worst players limping in a pot with AA or KK from the button with this many people in the hand. Brinkley was looking like the guy who had the hand more than pauly but with his stack could be doing this light also.

I think my main problem with A,K is that you are often slightly behind to a pocket pair and even if you are up against something ridiculous like Q,J your not that big a favourite. I have been told in the past that i should play it stronger so i have done but it has come at quite a cost. The hand below is seriously the first big all-in pre flop pot i have won in two weeks. Just wondered if this was the right sort of aggression to have with it.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Thalion10 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £6.72
    DrSharp Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.92
    MAW1990 Big blind  £0.08 £0.20 £3.12
    Brinkley06 Big blind  £0.08 £0.28 £1.27
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

DarkRubz Fold     
    Razazelo Fold     
    MAW1990 Check     
    FoxtrotO Fold     
    BLOCKBUSTE Fold     
    chris7474 Fold     
    Brinkley06 Check     
    paulyboy18 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £6.29
    Thalion10 Call  £0.04 £0.40 £6.68
    DrSharp Raise  £0.64 £1.04 £7.28
    MAW1990 Fold     
    Brinkley06 Call  £0.64 £1.68 £0.63
    paulyboy18 All-in  £6.29 £7.97 £0.00
    Thalion10 Fold     
    DrSharp All-in  £7.28 £15.25 £0.00
    Brinkley06 All-in  £0.63 £15.88 £0.00
    DrSharp Unmatched bet  £1.63 £14.25 £1.63
    DrSharp Show
    • A
    • K

Brinkley06 Show
    • A

paulyboy18 Show
    • K

Flop

• K

Turn

River

DrSharp Win Two Pairs, Kings and 8s £13.18
  • edited November 2011
    LOL pauly is even worst then i remember/ sigh.
  • edited November 2011
    See now you have notes plus you won the hand :)