You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice and thoughts of a hand I played before

I was playing on Poker Stars before on a Hold'em $10-25 NL table with about $14 at this point. I got dealt Ace Jack suited. Someone raised it to $0.50 and someone called this. This was only a small raise and i thought my hand was not amazing but pretty decent so raised it up to $1.50 to see where I was placed with these cards. I got called by one person. The flop came down 5-J-8. I believed at this point I had the best hand unless he was dealt pockets at the start or had a Jack but with my kicker being an Ace I was not worried about this. So I bet big again being $2 to just take the pot as did not want him hitting anything. He called this. The turn was a 7. I was confused to what he might have as did not believe he would have three of a kind as he would have no doubt raised me and I did not think he could be on a straight as why would he call my big raise pre flop. I thought he must have a Jack. Again I bet $2 and again I only got called. The river came down which was a 6. I could not see him having anything except a Jack with no re raises at any point. Again I bet $2 and he went All In. I believed he was trying to bluff it to win the big pot as could not put him on three of a kind unless it was 6's or a straight with him calling my big pre flop raise. Also no flush draw was on the table. So I decided to call as I had him covered anyway and I felt pot committed. He shows he has 4,3. I could not believe he had the straight. I was not happy at all as why was he calling my big bets throughout when he had nothing and hit the straight only on the river. I made it obvious I had something. This it what annoys me about playing online poker sometimes as some people don't have a clue what they are doing and get very lucky.

Do you think I played this right? Should I have folded the All In bet? 

He did a stupid call again later on when someone bet $3 pre flop with Ace King suited and he called which put him All In as by this point he had lost most of his money. He called this with only Queen Ten and hit his Queen. Also I don't think this was the right call, maybe in a tournament if your low stacked and your just hoping for the best even though you know your behind to start with.

Let me know your views on everything as advice is very much appreciated?

Comments

• edited June 2009
    You already know the answer but want to get it off your chest.

He played it appallingly but sucked out on you.
  • edited June 2009
    Firstly, what are you doing playing NL Hold'em on Poker Stars - is SkyPoker.com not good enough for you!

I joke, as for the play, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You're unlikely to see someone even see a flop after a raise with that hand, and even if they get that far, your unlikely to see someone call the bet.

As I said, don't lose any sleep over it - BigBluster got it exactly right - he played appualingly, and sucked out on you.

Thats karma for playing Hold'em outside of SkyPoker.
  • edited June 2009
    There are a couple of things I want to point out here.

Firstly, it's always helpful for you to tell us WHO called your re-raise pre. You said there was a min-raise, and a call, and then one person called your re-raise. We do not know who it was that called, was it the min-raiser, or did he fold and was it the caller? Or was it none of those and was it someone from in the blinds? That's important information for us because we have a better idea of their range.

Secondly, you need to rethink your bet sizes a little. You say you were betting big throughout, which I don't think you were. Let me take it from the top:

There's .35 in the pot before any action occurs. Then there's a raise to .50, and a call of .50 before it gets to you, which makes the pot 1.35. Now you re-raise with your AJ, making it 1.50 total which makes the size of the pot 2.85. You are giving the Big Blind better than 2/1 to call, which is a very cheap price. Assuming your caller wasn't in the blinds, then the action comes back to the min-raiser, who already has .50 in there, remember. So he has to put in $1 more, into a pot of 2.85, which is only slightly under 3-1. I remember Gus Hansen once saying (I believe I read it in his "Every Hand Revealed" book) that if you're ever getting 3-1 in a heads-up pot pre-flop you should never pass because you're very rarely more than a 3-1 underdog pre-flop. With that in mind, you're VERY rarely going to get a fold from that small bet.

Now you get one caller, so the pot becomes 3.85, and you bet $2 on the flop. That is a little over half the pot, which is not a big bet. It's a decently-sized bet, but not big. Big would be at least $3 here. You're giving straight draws far too good a price to fold with a bet of $2 (giving them almost 3-1 again) so it simply isn't big enough. If you want to bet big, make it the size of the pot to give the draws an incorrect price to draw at you.

Thirdly, at stakes this low, you're nearly never getting check-raised on the river with a bluff. It is almost always the nuts. Players on this level are not clever/good enough to make that play on a pure bluff. If he has a weaker Jack than you, he is just as scared about the possible straight as you are, so he is never check-raising all-in, and infact he's probably not calling a value bet that often either. When we have top pair top kicker on a board that's showing 4 cards to a straight, we should never call an all-in check-raise unless we're getting a super sick price.

Lastly, you are playing at a level where people are likely to call you with garbage pre-flop a massive amount of the time. The players on this level are generally really super bad, and are incapable of folding a hand (exactly what our villain done on this occasion). Therefore you should never assume that because you made a 'big' raise pre-flop they're never going to have low cards. The only time you can safely assume this is if you've played with the villain a lot before, and have notes on him that says he is respectful of raises.

All of that aside, you were a gross favourite for 3 of the 4 betting rounds, and your only major mistake was calling on the river. It should be said, though, that if our villain is calling $2 on the flop with nothing but 4 high and backdoor straight draw, he is always calling pot-size bets too, so unfortunately you can't do anything other than give him the chips, shrug your shoulders, and hope that next time he doesn't hit his miracle cards. You want players to call you when you are a gross favourite, remember, because otherwise you're never going to win any money. You just have to hope that he doesn't get lucky on you. In the long-run, you're taking all of this guy's money.
  • edited June 2009
    Cheers YoungUn for your advice. I will learn now to bet a bit more to what is already in the pot to get them off the hand. Yeah like you said I should have just folded when he went all in as most times they do have something. I don't know why I kind of just wanted to see his hand as well as it was annoying me what he could have lol.
  • edited June 2009
    One thing comes to mind about your opponent

"More money than sense"

Good Luck
    Ipso
  • edited June 2009
    why do you love raising $2 every street?

you find out a lot more info if you ask a real question
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice and thoughts of a hand I played before:
    why do you love raising $2 every street? you find out a lot more info if you ask a real question
    Posted by huuuuume
    Because like I said I believed I was in front so I wanted to get as much chips from him. I don't see what was wrong with my betting as $2 was quite a bit to him due to him sitting down with less money.
  • edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Advice and thoughts of a hand I played before:
    In Response to Re: Advice and thoughts of a hand I played before : Because like I said I believed I was in front so I wanted to get as much chips from him. I don't see what was wrong with my betting as $2 was quite a bit to him due to him sitting down with less money.
    Posted by Mozza1987
    The problem with betting $2 is its getting less and less of the pot so ure giving ure opponent bigger and bigger odds to call you and hit there outs