You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL4 hand analysis please

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic

Could any comment on my play and rationale here. Feel free to criticise. As it happens, I think I got away from this pretty cheaply.

bigd351 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.31
good02 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.95
 Your hole cards

fasho Fold     
Pysterman Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £3.88
SPARTASC Call  £0.08 £0.22 £2.60
bigd351 Fold     
good02 Call  £0.04 £0.26 £3.91
Flop

good02 Check     
Pysterman Check     
SPARTASC Check     
Turn

good02 Check     
Pysterman Bet  £0.13 £0.39 £3.75
SPARTASC Fold     
good02 Call  £0.13 £0.52 £3.78
River

• K

good02 Bet  £0.04 £0.56 £3.74
Pysterman Raise  £0.16 £0.72 £3.59
good02 Raise  £0.24 £0.96 £3.50
Pysterman Call  £0.12 £1.08 £3.47
good02 Show
  • J

Pysterman Muck

good02 Win Flush to the Jack £0.99  £4.49
My Rationale

I min raised pre just to build the pot a little, as a set mine, planning to fold to any action if I missed, so I didn't really mind a few callers.

I figured it was unlikely anyone flopped the flush, but I wasn't going to bet out with 44 here. I'm not too interested in the flush myself, having only the 4.

When I made the set on the turn I figured I was probably miles ahead. I made a ½ pot bet to build the pot without chasing away my customers. I didn't feel I needed to bet larger to protect against a flush on the river as the pot was only small anyway. I hoped they were chasing the flush and figured that most of them time they'd miss .

On the river, he makes a silly min bet. I figure he probably has (virtually) nothing, maybe hitting the K or 2-pairs. I know my re-raise was very small (probably too small in retrospect) but it was meant to be a value bet. I didn't want him to fold and I was also wary of building the pot too much as the flush was still a possibility and I would probably feel obliged to call a re-raise.

His re-re-raise was so small that I figured I had no choice but to call (being given pot odds of 8-1).

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I raise to 12p pre.

Flop good.

Turn I would pot bet or more as you have nuts.

River raise more after minbet then shove over his 3bet.
  • edited November 2011
     2 thoughts come to mind with this hand.

Firstly your preflop action. I hate this so much. With the min raise you price in every type of junk hand going.This means you are relying on hitting the board hard and that someone else hits it hard enough as well to pay you off whilst at the same time having no idea whatsoever about possible ranges because you have priced in virtually every hand. For me you should be putting in a decent size raise to give yourself 2 chances to win and not just relying on hitting. Remember that with pocket 4's you are unlikely to see many undercards and are only 8 to 1 to flop your set.

Secondly. You said that you got away cheaply but after running through the hand from your opponents point of view i think it is safe to say that he won the maximum that he could in the pot. He called pre with a marginal because he was priced in despite being out of position. Then he checked the flop and check called the turn and min bet lead the river.At no point did he think to protect his hand against someone with just a high diamond and also he had no idea how to extract value out of the hand apart from letting you do all the work.This is a player to remember because they will not be capable of winning the big pots of their own volition and will rely on others to do it for them.

So for me the things to note woth this hand are either raise properly pre to price out the marginals or dont bother raising at all.And make a good note of this player because they should not be able to win big against you unless you giftwrap it for them.