You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do we play the river here?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
No real read on my victim but he was playing well, tag, and most def had Js to As or AK/AQ but with the raise size put him on AK.

His check on the flop was a real puzzle after such a big 3bet and sort of dry with only a draw for AK

How should I play it to get max on river, I am never checking but how much do I bet to get paid the max?

layerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
gap08Small blind £0.04£0.04£1.13
necroman25Big blind £0.08£0.12£4.50
 Your hole cards

geobling28Call £0.08£0.20£5.86
waynecRaise £0.40£0.60£11.29
xxRaise £1.68£2.28£11.14
gap08Fold    
necroman25Fold    
geobling28Fold    
waynecCall £1.28£3.56£10.01
Flop

• J

waynecCheck    
xxCheck    
Turn

waynecCheck    
xxBet £0.96£4.52£10.18
waynecCall £0.96£5.48£9.05
River

waynec????    
xx     

Comments

• edited November 2011
    He obviously doesnt have much, just put out a really small value bet hope to get paid by AK AQ or he might see it as weak and raise.
  • edited November 2011

bet at least £4

• edited November 2011
    if you think he has JJ+, AQ+ i would check
  • edited November 2011
    i would bet pot and call  luke schwartz on 865 2moro cant wait hes my hero what a player :)
  • edited November 2011
    Ship it and get snapped by JJ.
  • edited November 2011
    I don't mind idea of check raising flop but you HAVE to bet turn once he checks behind, it doesn't matter that you have quads you need to get paid and you don't get paid by checking and then betting once all draws have missed on river.

As played I pretty much just pot it, the 3bet he's made pre is MASSIVE so could easily have overpair thinking he's trapping.
  • edited November 2011
    Dont like giving free showdowns so i make it anywhere between half pot to pot sized. Owt between £2.75 and £4 might get paid but i doubt it the way its gone.

I dont think he is that strong here, if he had a big pocket pair he would bet flop, he prob has something like A,K or A,Q but i still think we need to bet for value. If he is trapping with JJ, you'll get the lot regardless.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: How do we play the river here?:
    I don't mind idea of check raising flop but you HAVE to bet turn once he checks behind, it doesn't matter that you have quads you need to get paid and you don't get paid by checking and then betting once all draws have missed on river. As played I pretty much just pot it, the 3bet he's made pre is MASSIVE so could easily have overpair thinking he's trapping.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    I agree about the turn not checking but I was sure he would bet if I check as from reads from early hands.

As it turned out I did not need to worry about how to get paid the poor guy had JJ, I bet half pot and he came over the top with his entire stack! I posted this because I was at a total loss as what to bet on the river and had he not had JJ how could I have got paid, so thanks to all for your comments.