You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinion on this hand....

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all, I am a fairly new player to Poker, with mixed results over the last couple of months.  I have found that the DYM's have been reasonably profitable for me, so I tend to play there.
Can I ask for your views on this hand I won, I was looking for the Flush throughout, and believed I was playing the percentages correctly.  I had my oponents stack covered, so thought it was the correct play under the circumstances, however, got abuse from the losing player to the sounds of (you idiot) when he was eliminated.  All constructive critisism welsome, many thanks in advance....
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
wrongjohn1 Small blind  50.00 50.00 3965.00
IQMinimal Big blind  100.00 150.00 3026.25
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

Bobcat23 Fold     
rizlakid18 Fold     
pballinger Call  100.00 250.00 1400.00
wrongjohn1 Fold     
IQMinimal Check     
Flop

IQMinimal Check     
pballinger Bet  100.00 350.00 1300.00
IQMinimal Call  100.00 450.00 2926.25
Turn

IQMinimal Bet  450.00 900.00 2476.25
pballinger All-in  1300.00 2200.00 0.00
IQMinimal Call  850.00 3050.00 1626.25
IQMinimal Show
  • Q
  • K

pballinger Show
  • Q

River

IQMinimal Win Flush to the King 3050.00  4676.25

Comments

• edited November 2011
    raise pre for value

flop, whats your plan when you call with K hi?

turn dont lead, I prob c/c, dont mind c/r v some villains. As played its close, I prob call, but you can maybe fold in DYM idk
  • edited November 2011
    I just set him in pre given stacks and it being a dym.

Turns just a mess.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Opinion on this hand....:
    I just set him in pre given stacks and it being a dym. Turns just a mess.
    Posted by AMYBR
    yeah this, I suck at reading stacksizes
  • edited November 2011
    Also fwiw, yeah turn is bad, but the abuse is kind of funny really.

Mainly as limping into a pot with Q9 with 14 BB's is just really bad in any case.  Whats the goal?
  • edited November 2011
    I think the check preflop is awful a raise here of 3 or 4 Xs, as regards the comments of shove all in pre is wrong this is a DYM and the name of the game is coming 3rd and you have more than 10bbs so why risk it!

As regards the flop you did not raise pre and you missed the board by a mile, you should have been mucking here if you cant lead out as its a DYM so why waste chips.

The turn plays it self as you are now committed, I think you were lucky to win shall we say a river rat lol!
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah def put a little raise in pre. You still have fold equity if he shoves, as kq plays bad against a limp and then re-raise. HATE the bet on the turn, pot-size bet meaning you really had to call the shove. check/call the turn would be better as u gave urself more outs, but leading the turn meant u were almost always a big underdog if he shoved.

Dont know why he was giving abuse though, limping with 14bb on the button with Q9off is not good. If he is a serial limper, then def ship it in pre.
  • edited November 2011
    Waynec:  I dont think we can say setting him in pre is WRONG lol.  Its just a different line.  By all means disagree, but you shouldnt state alternative viewpoints are wrong bud.

What are we doing when raising?  Making it 325, he calls, making the pot 700, he then has 1100 back.  What are we doing on the flop if we miss with these pot and stack sizes?   C'fing or making a hugely tricky half pot bet?

Simply because its a dym i set him in.  Taking away all difficult decisions post, with daft pot size.  Best he's likely limping with is a hand we are racing slightly behind to.

We gain every advantage when setting him in.  Were in a mess on flop when we raise and he calls.  Also we raise and he jams, what then?
  • edited November 2011
    a raise here of 3 or 4 Xs, as regards the comments of shove all in pre is wrong this is a DYM and the name of the game is coming 3rd and you have more than 10bbs so why risk it! 
    Posted by waynec

Raise / folding preflop is pretty terrible, against a 15BB stack, and is just burning chips.
    Jamming preflop is fine, and raising to call it off is fine.
    Problem with a standard raise is that they peel too much, and when we miss, any bet we make gets us nearly to the point where we are committed to the pot.

On the turn, think I would rather CR than bet-call, but given their small flop bet, you can probably expect similar on the turn, therefore you can take a cheap card to try to hit.

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Opinion on this hand....:
    Hi all, I am a fairly new player to Poker, with mixed results over the last couple of months.  I have found that the DYM's have been reasonably profitable for me, so I tend to play there. Can I ask for your views on this hand I won, I was looking for the Flush throughout, and believed I was playing the percentages correctly.  I had my oponents stack covered, so thought it was the correct play under the circumstances, however, got abuse from the losing player to the sounds of (you idiot) when he was eliminated.  All constructive critisism welsome, many thanks in advance.... Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance wrongjohn1 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3965.00 IQMinimal Big blind   100.00 150.00 3026.25   Your hole cards Q K       Bobcat23 Fold         rizlakid18 Fold         pballinger Call   100.00 250.00 1400.00 wrongjohn1 Fold         IQMinimal Check         Flop     8 9 6       IQMinimal Check         pballinger Bet   100.00 350.00 1300.00 IQMinimal Call   100.00 450.00 2926.25 Turn     2       IQMinimal Bet   450.00 900.00 2476.25 pballinger All-in   1300.00 2200.00 0.00 IQMinimal Call   850.00 3050.00 1626.25 IQMinimal Show Q K       pballinger Show 9 Q       River     7       IQMinimal Win Flush to the King 3050.00   4676.25 Prev Close window Next
    Posted by IQMinimal

* The check pre flop is poor
    * The bet on the turn is strange as I cannmot see what you are trying to represent having checked the flop
    * Also given that you are playing a DYM why put your stack at the mercy of hittg the river?  having your opponent covered doesn't matter in this scenario as it is a DYM not tournament play

Also agree that the other player has played this hand poorly and deserves what he got,I would be interested to know wha you put yor opponent on when he moves all in
  • edited November 2011

Shove pre, can’t raise pre v stack size OOP

As played

c/c flop is ok with 2 overs + float – is this why you lead turn ?

prefer c/c on turn or c/r, 2h is hardly a scare card so why lead ?

All a bit messy

• edited November 2011
    I think the check preflop is awful a raise here of 3 or 4 Xs, as regards the comments of shove all in pre is wrong this is a DYM and the name of the game is coming 3rd and you have more than 10bbs so why risk it! As regards the flop you did not raise pre and you missed the board by a mile, you should have been mucking here if you cant lead out as its a DYM so why waste chips. The turn plays it self as you are now committed, I think you were lucky to win shall we say a river rat lol!
    Posted by waynec
    River rat is a fair description I guess...lol...

I suppose when thinking about the hand, I would have 3x, 4x  on A,J or A,Q pre flop, but as they weren't, and were suited and not what I would call premium, I guess it was a way to disguise the hand as weaker than what is was by checking pre if that makes sense...  When flop was 3 lower cards, I believed that I still had a chance of either hitting one of my higher cards to then be in front, and also the chance of hitting the suit, which happened on the turn, and then, as you say, committed from then on.

I shall put it down to inexperience, and thanks for all of your comments.  I would be interested to know if this is ever a fold pre-flop if someone raises pre-flop, for anyone.  I have often read on posts and blogs, that in DYM's it is important to stay ultra tight, but I would have thought this hand very playable to a point...

• edited November 2011
    Shove or fold pre if he is calling 1bb with Q9 he is calling 3bb with q9. As played i like the float on the flop but you cannot lead out on the turn think about what your representing here?? At best K9 7T or A9 but your raising pre with A9 (I hope) So he is either losing to some very lucky str8 or out kicked so he is never leaving the turn when you bet. Unless you have reads he bets 1bb of a 13-14 bb stack light.
    I personally would shove pre i wouldnt raise due to stack sizes as the only decent raise you can make is 2.5x or 3x and if he shoves over are you calling? i think he is calling with most limping hands here to that raise.
    I would float flop for the 1 bb as you do have the backdoor flush and two overs but i would check call turn if bet allows me to.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Opinion on this hand.... : River rat is a fair description I guess...lol... I suppose when thinking about the hand, I would have 3x, 4x  on A,J or A,Q pre flop, but as they weren't, and were suited and not what I would call premium, I guess it was a way to disguise the hand as weaker than what is was by checking pre if that makes sense...  When flop was 3 lower cards, I believed that I still had a chance of either hitting one of my higher cards to then be in front, and also the chance of hitting the suit, which happened on the turn, and then, as you say, committed from then on. I shall put it down to inexperience, and thanks for all of your comments.  I would be interested to know if this is ever a fold pre-flop if someone raises pre-flop, for anyone.  I have often read on posts and blogs, that in DYM's it is important to stay ultra tight, but I would have thought this hand very playable to a point...
    Posted by IQMinimal

wouldn't be looking to fold but cetainly raise or shove pre flop - you need to control the pot size and the betting in this situation.  Then adjust on each street depending if you hit or not or what your oponent is betting.

Did you cash btw?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Opinion on this hand.... : wouldn't be looking to fold but cetainly raise or shove pre flop - you need to control the pot size and the betting in this situation.  Then adjust on each street depending if you hit or not or what your oponent is betting. Did you cash btw?
    Posted by grantos888
    Hi thanks for the advice... I understand the pre flop raise, however if you play that way all the time does it not become transparent to others, and then they insta fold when you do it?

btw...Yeah, came top 3 won £20 thanks...
    I'll keep plugging away and try to improve as I go.
    cheers