You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Overplaying hands like KJ and KQ - Help?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
As the title says really, whenever I get a hand like KJ or KQ, I tend to keep overplaying them pre-flop, a few times, I've made the mistake of re-raising people all in with them and getting called by a hand which is often dominating me. Usually regret the re-raise as soon as I've pressed the button to re-raise. Has so far cost me a seat in the £2k GTD (Went out on the satellite bubble with KJ when someone had about 3 or 4 big blinds, hand below *cringe* then went on tilt and lost a few more quid on an NL4 table), and a couple of DYM cashes, so thought I'd nip it in the bud before it costs me any more.

I know I'm playing these hands wrong, but I'm not really sure how I should play them instead. I'm not willing to start folding KJ/KQ when it's folded around to me (it'd probably be a mistake if I did), however, should I always be folding them to a raise? I think in hindsight, I should be folding both of these hands here.

The £2k GTD Satellite bubble hand... Had been pinching my blind a lot, was unlucky to run into AJ but probably still totally unnecessary play, could've let the short stack get knocked out :\
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
lendiSmall blind 500.00500.0015372.50
EvilPinguBig blind 1000.001500.009693.75
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

matisbackFold    
bt1963Fold    
hank72Fold    
lendiRaise 1500.003000.0013872.50
EvilPinguAll-in 9693.7512693.750.00
lendiCall 8693.7521387.505178.75
lendiShow
  • J
  • A

EvilPinguShow
  • K
  • J

Flop

Turn

River

lendiWinPair of 7s21387.50 26566.25

A recent £1.15 DYM (Pretty horrible that he hit a backdoor straight, but probably deserved it for making the move in the first place)
<td class="hhamt" style="padding-top:7px;padding-right:5px;padding-bottom:
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPinguSmall blind 75.0075.001565.00
HenchedBig blind 150.00225.001780.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

scouse101Raise 300.00525.002580.00
EssayefseeFold    
jjjachFold    
EvilPinguAll-in 1565.002090.000.00
HenchedFold    
scouse101Call 1340.003430.001240.00
EvilPinguShow
  • Q
  • K

scouse101Show
  • A
  • J

Flop

• Q

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I wouldnt be folding these hands easily myself in all honestly.

What I wouldnt do though is re-raise a call would be my play upto about 4 or 5 BB and also if I had any notes would be a telltale sign, ie only plays top cards then I would probably fold any raise to me with the above hands (right or wrongly) also I would use position and stage of tournament and my stack size....

UL with the bubble nothing worse than the bubble.
  • edited November 2011
    You overplayed them me finks
  • edited November 2011

With 9.5 big blinds and KJo in the first hand it is a great hand for opening the pot with a shove if you are in late possition. Say you are in the cut-off and it's folded around to you then you can shove because you likely have a better hand than the three players left to act and because of the gap concept they actually need to have a better hand than you to call. 99+ AT+ is a reasonable calling range for them in this hypothetical situation. In the had you posted you are in the big blind and are facing a 2.5x raise. You can't call because you are calling for a quarter of your stack to play out of possition - not an option, and you can't shove without a solid read that your opponent is a) likely doing this with rubbish to steal the blinds and b) will fold if this is what he's doing. This being a satilite you can be sure that he will fold if he's at it because he doesn't have an enormous stack himself. But would he really be raising with a worse hand than KJ at this stage in a satilite when he might be able to fold a few more orbits and get the place?

The second hand is a similar mistake. UTG min raises are not usually a bluff. You might consider a call if it's a DYM bubble and you think that you can knock him out if you hit. But I think this would be bad. Best is to sigh fold and watch what he's up to. If you see he is doing this with air then put some pressure on him by all means. But without solid reads here you deffinatly overplayed your hand.

• edited November 2011
    In hands posted I think I do the same given stack size.

But in less short stack spots if you believe your overplaying them, simply stop :p

Highlighting and being aware of your own flaws is one of the key issues to becoming better.
  • edited November 2011
    from my stats top pair is a losing hand in pots over 25bb deep

two pair is a losinghand in pots 40bb deep

fold kj UTg and utg plus one until you think you can out play people at the table
    fold kq utg until the same

play them in small pots and you will be ok - if you cant throw them away then fold pre flop - nothing in nothing lost

• edited November 2011
    1st hand i wud only call..definately dont want to be jamming ur whole stack as realistically ur only getting called by hands that are dominating u or against a mid underpair 77-1010 in which case ur racing.
    u shud of just called and then evaluated on the flop, his missed and u could take the pot with some agression.

2nd hand dym, ur 2nd in chips, so no need to be getting ur stack in.

kq,kj,qj are 3 hands i like to see a flop or only play in position instead of getting in a pre-flop raising war, if u 3 bet and opponent 4 bet jams ur in a tricky position