You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts Please

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Hi.  I have just returned to playing poker after an 18 month break where I enjoyed a fair ammount of sucess on the live local circuit,  During this period I has a reputation for being a 'nutz player' however if I am being critical of my game it was a very ABC passive style.
I wish to improve my game and therefore have put this out for discussion.  During last night's Thursday live Luke Schwartz and Carlo were focussing on some hands where it is the classic SB v BB clash and one point was that on too many occasions the SB limped and then ended up firstly playing out of position and secondly not really knowwing where they are in the hand having failed to define it.
Since my return I have looked to be more proactive rather than passive when playing, rarely limping and also ensuring the semi marginal hands are played in position, whilst I am still fairly new to this I am in the main content with how the improvements are going.
Anyhow here is the situation its mid point in a DYM, 5 players left.  I'm SB holding KD,JS, all other players have folded leaving just the BB.  I am second in chips and the BB is chip leader (a small difference in chips).  I raise the standard BBx3 and get an min re-raise which I call.

Flop is JD,4H,2H
I pot bet it, as feel I am good and do not want to give free card having top pair strong kicker as I feel the re-raise pre flop may well be big Ace or under pair.  I discount AA,KK as given my preflop raise the calll maybe have been the correct play with KK,AA as I have created the actioin preflop.

I get repopped all in,  I tank it and make the call.

Cards over and BB shows QH.9H,

AH turn
AS river

I want to make it clear that this is not a moan or a bad beat story, as I have said I'm here to improve my game so any advice is welcome.  I fully understand that best going in is not always best coming out and that is the nature of poker.

Any thoughts folks?

Comments