You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

omaha experts please

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
hi, new to playing omaha, is this the correct fold to make or is it too nitty?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance5tr0ngb0w1Small blind £0.02£0.02£3.09punksoxBig blind £0.04£0.06£6.47 Your hole cardsA3AK   skychipsCall £0.04£0.10£14.46robyoungRaise £0.20£0.30£6.85J_9Call £0.20£0.50£1.355tr0ngb0w1Call £0.18£0.68£2.91punksoxCall £0.16£0.84£6.31skychipsFold    Flop  5810   5tr0ngb0w1Bet £0.16£1.00£2.75punksoxCall £0.16£1.16£6.15robyoungCall £0.16£1.32£6.69J_9All-in £1.35£2.67£0.005tr0ngb0w1Call £1.19£3.86£1.56punksoxCall £1.19£5.05£4.96robyoungFold    Turn  A   5tr0ngb0w1Check    punksoxCheck    River  5   5tr0ngb0w1Check    punksoxCheck    J_9Show10QQ4   5tr0ngb0w1Muck67108   punksoxMuck376J   J_9WinTwo Pairs, Queens and 5s£4.67 £4.67

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Correct fold i think

Your drawing to 2 outs
  • edited November 2011
    just played nl10 for an hour and turned 10 pound into 50, im not sure if im just running good but i really enjoy playing omaha cash, i find it far more exciting then holdem
  • edited November 2011
    Ok here goes.
    Couple of points to make here.

Firstly omaha is a high variance game naturally. At the very low levels people will call any raise from any position with virtually any 4 cards which increases the variance even more.When you add in the factor of no-limit over pot-limit then you increase the variance to its extreme. You can not remove all the variance from the game and it is best done by playing at a bit higher levels(but only if within BR permits) and always play pot limit which increases the skill aspect of the game.

Secondly. The hardest thing for any newcomer to omaha is the ability to fold big hands when they miss the flop especially on very draw heavy boards. Simple rules to follow are overpair to the board and hitting top pair are virtually worthless.

So despite the fact you were ahead in this spot and would have won you made for me the correct fold because there is absolutely  no way to see yourself being ahead and even if you were then there were a lot of draws to avoid.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: omaha experts please:
    Ok here goes. Couple of points to make here.  Firstly omaha is a high variance game naturally. At the very low levels people will call any raise from any position with virtually any 4 cards which increases the variance even more.When you add in the factor of no-limit over pot-limit then you increase the variance to its extreme. You can not remove all the variance from the game and it is best done by playing at a bit higher levels(but only if within BR permits) and always play pot limit which increases the skill aspect of the game.  Secondly. The hardest thing for any newcomer to omaha is the ability to fold big hands when they miss the flop especially on very draw heavy boards. Simple rules to follow are overpair to the board and hitting top pair are virtually worthless.   So despite the fact you were ahead in this spot and would have won you made for me the correct fold because there is absolutely  no way to see yourself being ahead and even if you were then there were a lot of draws to avoid.
    Posted by Talon
    i wasnt ahead on the flop tho was i, someone had top 2 pair, even tho i would have won in the end lol
  • edited November 2011
    correct fold so many players over rate AA at Omaha
  • edited November 2011
    easy fold i wouldnt of raised preflop u want to see many flops as u can in omaha but as pianoplayer said u are only drawing to 2 outs aa isnt all that in omaha lol