You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fed up with being bullied

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
£2.20 Deep stack, really weird table. The big stack, especially, was getting involved in almost every hand (Maybe folding once per orbit). Had been bet into (half pot) every time I saw a flop against him, so decided to try re-raising to see if he'd fold if I showed strength, and got snap re-raised all in. Put a "<><" note, folded, and waited.

Was getting  fed up with this and I wasn't really enjoying the tournament any more, and decided that with the hand below and an 8 high flop which nobody could've hit much, I was going to make my move. If I got called by the big stack, I was confident that I'd be ahead with Ace High as he was basically playing bingo. (see below)

Unlikely that an 8 high board has hit any of the other players, the only thing I was remotely worried about was overpairs, which given the situation, would've probably re-raised pre-flop to isolate Mr. Bingo. Didn't mind a straight draw or flush draw calling as they were both flipping against me with my 2 overcards. I wouldn't have minded getting knocked out flipping against a draw which hit. 

Two questions here:
1) How on earth could these guys call, the J7 pre-flop which turned into a flush draw and the K10 on the flop?! Can understand the flush draw calling on the flop after Mr. Bingo's call as he had the odds to call, but calling with J7 pre flop in the first place is just awful? And the K10...Wow. I was actually ahead of both the callers. Give me 100 buy-ins and put these guys with me on a cash table any day.

2) Is there actually anything wrong with the move in general, besides being slightly influenced by tilt, and the fact that Mr. Bingo sucked out?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
STARRYSmall blind 100.00100.0013000.00
1989RSBig blind 200.00300.005353.75
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • A

EvilPinguRaise 800.001100.008622.50
DaveChimpCall 800.001900.008365.00
BenShermanFold    
stringer10Call 800.002700.0051200.00
STARRYCall 700.003400.0012300.00
1989RSFold    
Flop

STARRYCheck    
EvilPinguAll-in 8622.5012022.500.00
DaveChimpFold    
stringer10Call 8622.5020645.0042577.50
STARRYCall 8622.5029267.503677.50
Turn

• K

STARRYAll-in 3677.5032945.000.00
stringer10Call 3677.5036622.5038900.00
STARRYShow
  • J

EvilPinguShow
  • J
  • A

stringer10Show
  • K

River

stringer10WinPair of Kings36622.50 75522.50
On the bright side, I don't think I've ever been so happy to be knocked out a tournament, just to get off that *insert Luke Schwartz vocabulary here* table.

Comments

• edited November 2011

The only problem with the hand is the shove, f knows why k10 has called, but definately note him. i can understand why the guy with j7 wants to gamble but dnt know why his called pre so note him. and least u know what junk they calling with

with aj at 100/200 i wud bet 325 pre, c-bet on flop if u get lots of action give up and then wait for a btter spot, u had 40bbs so still lots of chips.
  • edited November 2011
    I've played live in a tournement with a guy like this. 4 table MTT and after a few coolers I'm the joint chip leader with the guy to my left but I'm pretty card dead. The guy to my left is playing like his 3rd game of poker ever and is just calling (and hitting) everything. I'm talking limp calling pre-flop shoves for 12BBs with 75s and making a straight or hitting running cards for trips etc.

I couldn't play a pot against the rest of the players and use my stack because he was in every hand, calling every bet. And I couldn't get him off a hand at all. I had two choices: a) try to win a big hand off him with 3rd pair or A-high like you did. or b) Wait till he donks off his chips to the table or until we make final table. I made final table quite shortstacked after loosing a few chips to him in where he made trips on the river and on the third hand doubled up through him with A3s vs QTo (I shoved and he called). He was crippled and I went on to finish 3rd.

It's hard to play in a tournement with maniacs at your table because you can't out play them. This is frustrating because even though you know you are a better poker player than them you can't get chips off them without getting lucky and hitting cards. You just have to be calm and wait them out. If you're in a live game then talk to them and be friendly, if nothing else then it will be good karma.
  • edited November 2011
    Experement with your betsize's if your just going to get stationed.  There is no difference between making it 475 - 500 UTG than 800 vs these players.

You have a much more managable potsize and our decisions become much easier and less forced.  Remember: they are going to station you in any case.  Then we can use our stack to play poker.  Even if playing poker is C/fing vs the kamikaze's and waiting for a better spot. 

We dont have to win every pot we open.
  • edited November 2011
    Raise less pre 500 is fine UTG.

I probz just c/f on that flop 3-way as it never hits your range unless you have an overpair. Shoving is pretty terrible as you still have 40bb behind and should only be called by better, i.e any pair. Here obvz they have worse amazingly but still your play is bad.
  • edited November 2011
    Not going to add anything to what has already been said above other than agreeing with the comments.  I will however mention in these situations that when you do hit you get paid so its about managing the situation for me.

Patience - the bingo caller will not win everytime
    Position - play the hands you enter in position
    Player - find your game edge against a couple of players on the table you are on.

Its a deep stack, you cannot win it in 100/200 blind level but you can sure as heck loose it.  Not the most creative solution but very satisfying when you see the chips growing in front of you.
  • edited November 2011
    In my post i put 325..which isnt even possible lol..was late last night..i wud make it 450-500..ive come across u a few times pingu..some dyms and heads up...at these low stakes only bet with a hand as these idiots will call with anything. if u miss the flop..give up.
  • edited November 2011
    raise less pre

c/f flop

this is not the way to take these guys chips. Make TP or better and keep betting