You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NEW SKYPOKER ADVERT

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
WAS WATCHING SKYSPORTS NEWS LAST NIGHT AND SAW AN ADVERT I HADNT SEEN BEFORE FOR SKY POKER, VERY NICE PRAISING THE SITES USPs TV CHANEL,PLAYING IN £ NOT $,THE COMUNITY AND NON DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THE DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE WAS SOMEWHERE (QUITE CLOSE) IN THE PIPELINE. BUT AS NOT HAVING IT IS NOW BEINGS ADVERTISED AS A GOOD SELLING POINT DOES THIS MEAN THAT ITS NOW NOT GOING TO HAPPEN?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    No i think they are just developing a downloadable version for stability but that is compatible with the web browser version. I would imagine they would have to do this as they let people play through their sky box so to keep it open on all platforms i presume you will be able to decide if you want to play on the Client, web browser or tv box
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to NEW SKYPOKER ADVERT:
    WAS WATCHING SKYSPORTS NEWS LAST NIGHT AND SAW AN ADVERT I HADNT SEEN BEFORE FOR SKY POKER, VERY NICE PRAISING THE SITES USPs TV CHANEL,PLAYING IN £ NOT $,THE COMUNITY AND NON DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE. I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THE DOWNLOADABLE SOFTWARE WAS SOMEWHERE (QUITE CLOSE) IN THE PIPELINE. BUT AS NOT HAVING IT IS NOW BEINGS ADVERTISED AS A GOOD SELLING POINT DOES THIS MEAN THAT ITS NOW NOT GOING TO HAPPEN?
    Posted by BADBOY985
    No, not at all. The design & testing of the DC continues apace, & is well advanced. It will come to Sky Poker - fact - very soon.

But.....

The flash player version WILL BE RETAINED. It may surprise many, when you read the moans & groans on here, that a detailed survey of regular Sky Poker players identified that a very large % of players find the fact they they do not have to downlosd anything a very big positive. You & I may or may not like that, but it's a fact. So THAT is why it is highlighted in the TV advert - because it IS a selling point, which players new to poker very much like.

I've also played on another Online Room which uses Flash- a BIG Room - & I used their flash player version for several years, & it still exists.

There are also quite complex issues as to making Sky Poker available via TV's, another unique to Sky Poker. You'd be astonished at how many players play Sky Poker through their TV set.

So, the DC IS coming, soon, but the flash version will remain in place permanently, so players can decide which to use.
  • edited October 2009
    I read somewhere it was about 30% of players play via the T.V.

Thats some phone bills knocking around. I hope they have Sky talk. At least sky get a few quid extra that way.
  • edited October 2009
    i also prefer this way of playing poker, dont get me wrong the DC will be a great addition to the site and i will probably try it out but i just cant play poker where i have to downlaod them so i think i will always stick on this
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: NEW SKYPOKER ADVERT:
    i also prefer this way of playing poker, dont get me wrong the DC will be a great addition to the site and i will probably try it out but i just cant play poker where i have to downlaod them so i think i will always stick on this
    Posted by webby234
    A view shared by a very large % of players.
  • edited October 2009
    If the DC makes it run smoother, maybe with some new graphics, i'll be first in line!!
  • edited October 2009
    THANKS TIKAY, THINKING BACK IT WAS PROBABLY ONE OF THE REASONS I STARTED ON HERE IT WILL BE NICE WHEN BOTH ARE UP AND RUNNING.
  • edited October 2009
    talking of phone bills,when i 1st joined the site ,i too started playing through my set top box,my telephone contract stated i had free local calls after 6 ,and free local calls at weekends .........when i pressed the red button to play poker on the tv ,at the bottom of the tv screen it said {calls charged at local rate}which i thought would be free ??????         think again ......    when my phone bill dropped through my letter box later that month ,my jaw also dropped too ........£138 phone bill for a month       ?????????//    lucky for me i finished 3rd in the open that month and paid it off with my winnings   ,,,,,,       i now use a laptop ,hope this helps some1 whos just starting out.......ten
  • edited October 2009
    yes, I think 'calls charges at your local rate' are not local calls.

They cost the same. Or in your case, perhaps not.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: NEW SKYPOKER ADVERT:
    talking of phone bills,when i 1st joined the site ,i too started playing through my set top box,my telephone contract stated i had free local calls after 6 ,and free local calls at weekends .........when i pressed the red button to play poker on the tv ,at the bottom of the tv screen it said {calls charged at local rate}which i thought would be free ??????         think again ......    when my phone bill dropped through my letter box later that month ,my jaw also dropped too ........£138 phone bill for a month       ?????????//    lucky for me i finished 3rd in the open that month and paid it off with my winnings   ,,,,,,       i now use a laptop ,hope this helps some1 whos just starting out.......ten
    Posted by TENOFSPADE
    Hi,

The best way forward is to sign up with sky talk if you are using your set box. Any other phone provider will charge a fortune including BT. Even tho it is an 0845 number, BT will stil charge as this is an internet connection. Trust me, I have been there, go with sky talk then it's free!
  • edited October 2009
    Rich won't give you a tourney entry for the plug you know!!

I should know, I tried it and he doesn't bite!
  • edited October 2009
    When I first starting playing on SKYPOKER I played on the tv while I was waiting for my internet connection and reached heads up on the monday night bounty hunter (my only success). I was dreading the phone bill and did'nt realise that it was free for sky talk customers.