You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Serial shover NL8

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I was playing at a table recently. One player was shoving pre-flop nearly every hand (and he wasn't short stacked).

He was called a couple of times, and he had hands like K5 suited and even Q3 offsuit, seemingly just shoving with any face card.

He lost his stack pretty quickly, unfortunately not to me.

My question is... when someone is doing this, how good a hand should I be willing to call him with?

(This is assuming he is doing with a significantly-sized stack and not just shoving with his last few pennies.)

Comments

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Serial shover NL8:
    I was playing at a table recently. One player was shoving pre-flop nearly every hand (and he wasn't short stacked). He was called a couple of times, and he had hands like K5 suited and even Q3 offsuit, seemingly just shoving with any face card. He lost his stack pretty quickly, unfortunately not to me. My question is... when someone is doing this, how good a hand should I be willing to call him with? (This is assuming he is doing with a significantly-sized stack and not just shoving with his last few pennies.)
    Posted by Pysterman
    Depends how frequently and how many other players are still to act. I would say if you are last to act then any hand containing a king or ace, Q9+ and any pair. If there are more players still to act then for each player that is still to act you need a better holding. The problem with these players is that you have to accept that they are going to win by doing this about 30-40% of the time because you are never that far ahead. For example if he had Kh5h and you have AsQs you are about 62% to his 37% That's a significant enough edge but he could easily do this four times and win all four. Statistically it wouldn't be that unlikely.
  • edited November 2011
    i usually just pick a range and call with it. That range depends on my mood. If hes doing it basically every hand ill limp my monsters aswell.

remember these are the villians u wana play.
  • edited November 2011
    Where do we find this guy, I wanna play him!!!!
  • edited November 2011
    Id go with something like Ax, K9+,QJ and 77+,but you can prob call wider

Also jugglegeek hes not that likely to win all 4 in example you gave its less than 2%
  • edited November 2011
    Very annoying when they do turn up with a hand though :)
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Serial shover NL8:
    Very annoying when they do turn up with a hand though :)
    Posted by rancid

lol, thats what usually happens to me! I get K,Q, make the call and villain has Aces for the first time lol!

• edited November 2011
    remember these are the villians u wana play.
    Posted by The_Don90
    I know.

But is there anything more frustrating that being at sat a table with a player (or two) like this and constantly finding hands like 53, J4, 73, 92, Q6, 23... and having no choice but to sit and watch them haemorrhage their chips into someone else's stack?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Serial shover NL8 : I know. But is there anything more frustrating that being at sat a table with a player (or two) like this and constantly finding hands like 53, J4, 73, 92, Q6, 23... and having no choice but to sit and watch them haemorrhage their chips into someone else's stack?
    Posted by Pysterman

Not really. There is nothing you can do. You are just waiting for a spot, along with everyone else, to stack them. You will come across them fairly often and you will get your fair share over time. You just have to sit tight and hope its your turn.

• edited November 2011
    Id go with something like Ax, K9+,QJ and 77+,but you can prob call wider Also jugglegeek hes not that likely to win all 4 in example you gave its less than 2%
    Posted by grantorino

Yeah 2% doesn't seem that much. And it is very unlikely. However it will happen from time to time and I'm saying that you have to be prepared for this. To put that 2% in perspective it's the same as hitting a one outer on the river and four times more likely than for you get pocket aces on the very next hand you play.