You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pocket kings suck!

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
ive had pocket kings a 5 times to today, and gues what, havnt won a single hand with them,. if its not an ace coming out, its a run, flush or trips 4 the other guy. i even hit trips, only to see a run on the turn for the other guy, kings suck

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Hi Nirvana

Pocket Kings are only a pair, they do not have a divine right to win! Its how you play them that wins pots, you don't give any details on the 5 hands in question, is your money all in pre flop? If not were you in position and did you ever contemplate putting them down? If players were hitting straights against your kings then the board must have given a clue that could be the case, Kings are always vulnerable to the re-draw.

I lost 3 times with AA yesterday, once to 56 who called a 400 (4 x BB) raise then re-raised me all in on the draw! its just poker, it happens!!

Dave
  • edited October 2009
    THE PROBLEM WITH KK IS YOU TEND TO PICK THEM UP AND THINKS DOUBLE OVER TIME.
    IF YOU PUSH ALL IN PREFLOP YOUR REALLY ONLY DRAWING TO 2 CARDS AS KINGS DONT SIT IN A GREAT POSITION TO HIT A STRAIGHT. IF YOU GET CALLED THERE IS A FAIR CHANCE THEY HAVE AN ACE OF SOME SORT SO THERES A 1 IN 2 CHANCE ITS THE SAME SUIT AS ONE OF YOUR KINGS SO THAT TAKES OUT 50% OF YOUR WINNING TO A FLUSH. SO REALLY BY GOING ALL IN YOUR BETTING ALL YOUR CHIPS ON NOBODY HITTING ANYTHING AND A SINGLE PAIR BEING THE TOP HAND.
    MY ADVICE IS A  DECENT SIZE RAISE IF YOU DONT HIT ON THE FLOP SEE WHAT DRAWS ARE ON THE BOARD BUT DONT BE AFRAID TO FOLD THEM THEY DONT GIVE YOU A DEVINE RIGHT TO ALL THE CHIPS/CASH IN THE POT.
  • edited October 2009
    By Going all in I don't think you are betting that nobody will hit anything. What it should be betting is that either nobody will call or at best they call with either a dominated pair or 1 overcard. Sometimes you hit a bad run and see the flushs and str8s hit but you you have to put it in perspective. If your pushing with Kings and haven't been unlucky enough to run into aces then you are putting them to a tough decision. If there calling without a made hand then sometimes your going to lose but in long run you'll win as people are consistantly calling off there stack hoping that they are racing at best (when in fact they only have 1 overcard and some draws at best)
  • edited October 2009

All the posts here are correct in one way or another.I personally am a player that does tend to push with KINGS,MY WIN RATIO with them is pretty good as ive found most of the time im racing AQ,AJ,A10 ETC.As the posts say if you miss the ACE you win big

• edited October 2009
    In Response to pocket kings suck!:
    ive had pocket kings a 5 times to today, and gues what, havnt won a single hand with them,. if its not an ace coming out, its a run, flush or trips 4 the other guy. i even hit trips, only to see a run on the turn for the other guy, kings suck
    Posted by nirvana29
    LOL. Yesterday I started a thread in Area 51 entitled The Ten Laws of Online Poker (inadvertently plagiarised from a 10 commandments thread).

Law number three was:     KK always loses to 44

Now if only you'd read the Laws before you sat down to play...........
  • edited October 2009
    Iv taken a long time dwelling over my response to this thread, after much deliberation I have come to this conclusion.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Area 51 please

Thanks for listening
  • edited October 2009
    Aces, Like Kings are a fantastic starting hand.

Unfortunately, thats all they are. I have seen too many people call to the river on a four flush board with aces, hoping the opponent hasn't got that single diamond that will knock them out.

If you worry that much about them, either learn to fold them or push all in preflop. If you take the blinds, at least you haven't had them cracked.

But then I suppose people will then moan, 'I had kings and got no value for em'.

Sorry, guys. It's called risk/reward ratio. You slow play them to extract value then sometimes they are going to bite you.

The games you play, it is exactly the same principle. I like DYM's because of the limited risk factor, I know I will never get rich from them, but by the same token, I will never go bust.

I could play the open every night and never cash. But I could just once hit that elusive top prize. Personally, I think I would be bust in a couple of months. So unless it's a free entry, you won't catch me there.
  • edited October 2009
    And your complaining lol, give me KK 5 times a night anytime
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: pocket kings suck!:
    And your complaining lol, give me KK 5 times a night anytime
    Posted by loonytoons
    you never struck me as the greedy type lol
  • edited October 2009
    The Cowboys suck? Nah, never!

Oh actually except for in Brokeback Mountain
  • edited October 2009
    Iv taken a long time dwelling over my response to this thread, after much deliberation I have come to this conclusion. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Area 51 please  Thanks for listening
    Posted by FlashFlush
    2nd couldnt agree more... kk monster raise reraise or allin bring on the bad beat.....
  • edited October 2009
    The Cowboys suck? Nah, never! Oh actually except for in Brokeback Mountain
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    lol quality post