You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

how badly did I play this at GUKPT earlier?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
Blinds 200/400/50, 9 handed. I have below average stack with 14,700.

I am big blind and it is raised from early position to 1075, and called by another player. Both guys are known good aggressive  players, and had alot more chips than me. Also called by our own Sikas  (sb).

I pick up J9 spades and also call. Flop is Kd Qh 10d, and is checked to me by Sikas.

I was unsure of the best line from here. Obvious temptation was to try to check /raise, but worry was that if next player to act put in standard cbet, he would be called by the other guy, leaving my only option a shove which they would all have the odds to call with a lot of hands. The flop was so dangerous, playing it 3/4 ways was not an option.

So I shoved the flop. Both players tanked for 5 mins plus before folding, Sikas snapfolded.

I showed the hand, and table was split on whether I had played it well or badly.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    In Response to how badly did I play this at GUKPT earlier?:
    Blinds 200/400/50, 9 handed. I have below average stack with 14,700. I am big blind and it is raised from early position to 1075, and called by another player. Both guys are known good aggressive  players, and had alot more chips than me. Also called by our own Sikas  (sb). I pick up J9 spades and also call. Flop is Kd Qh 10d, and is checked to me by Sikas. I was unsure of the best line from here. Obvious temptation was to try to check /raise, but worry was that if next player to act put intandard cbet, he would be called by the other guy, leaving my only option a shove which they would all have the odds to  scall with a lot of hands. The flop was so dangerous, playing it 3/4 ways was not an option. So I shoved the flop. Both players tanked for 5 mins plus before folding, Sikas snapfolded. I showed the hand, and table was split on whether I had played it well or badly.
    Posted by penguin7
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ????

U r reluctant to check raise because it encourages people to call with worse hands.......................

Shove is rly rly rly rlyyyyyyyyyyyyy bad !!!
  • edited November 2011
    Dont understand your shove, if you flop the 2nd nuts with aggressive players in the pot why not check it over to them and let them bet into you then 3 bet all in?
  • edited November 2011
    Fine protection shove, horrible wet board and I fink you can shove here
    There's not a lot of cards your going to like seeing on the turn
    Even though you have 2nd nutz, I don't think your hand is big enough to slow play or risk letting players check behind for free cards.
    You could of bet close to pot and try and get some action going but hey.....like you say one persn calls then another :s
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah ...looking back I shoulda gone for c/r. Tough to do though when you know you can never fold the hand and its in a 1k buyin tourny. As Rancid says if they check behind, so many turns make my hand look horrible.

Instead I picked up less than 4k chips.

Felt better about it when 20 mins later I had these 3 hands in a row :

AA .. got preflop and cbet calls but lost customer on turn.

KK...was called down every street on J4234 board. Double.

99..took the same guys last 7k ..99 v AK aipf.

Took me up to close to 60k, but gave some up before closing on 35,700.

So into Day 2, which is an achievement in this field. Regrouping and looking for good spots today with blinds at 600/1200.
  • edited November 2011
    well played penguin, run well in day2.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: how badly did I play this at GUKPT earlier?:
    Yeah ...looking back I shoulda gone for c/r. Tough to do though when you know you can never fold the hand and its in a 1k buyin tourny. As Rancid says if they check behind, so many turns make my hand look horrible. Instead I picked up less than 4k chips. Felt better about it when 20 mins later I had these 3 hands in a row : AA .. got preflop and cbet calls but lost customer on turn. KK...was called down every street on J4234 board. Double. 99..took the same guys last 7k ..99 v AK aipf. Took me up to close to 60k, but gave some up before closing on 35,700. So into Day 2, which is an achievement in this field. Regrouping and looking for good spots today with blinds at 600/1200.
    Posted by penguin7
    I think in hindsight not to lead or check was a mistake, the shove is never getting called by worse.
    Think we've all been there and shoved protecting a vulnarbale hand, but all the same it's 2nd nuts and we should be looking to get action regardless of texture of board.
    Plus the pot was 4500 ish and you had 13000 ish behind, makes the shove look a bit silly.
    I guess it may bamboozle your oppo into callign though ) I guess if you have 5000 ish then the shove is ok.

BTW I reserve the right to change my mind

Good luck Funny walking creature
  • edited November 2011

so like 5k in pot, you shove for 13k?

think you totally killed your hand especially when you are under average you really needed to get maximum here.

• edited November 2011
    if you think a bet behind is likely c/r

I prob just lead for about 2800 4way though and obv call it off, as that flop wont be cbet with air multiway ever

also a good few worse hands will call a shove here, but all of them raise anyway if you bet
  • edited November 2011
    Yes , I think its agreed that I butchered the hand ! The clue was in the thread title. I am never afraid of putting one of my worse plays up to be shot at !