You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Running Good/Bad & understanding the V word.....

edited November 2011 in Area 51

Without mentioning any names, there are people on the forum/site who are bad players with lots of obvious/basic leaks.....

They don't think/know this themselves, but the fact is they are......You can tell by watching/playing them and reading what they say about poker etc....

How do you think varience has influenced these people and made them think they are actually better than they are? And also led to doubts about the integrity of the site and online poker in general.

I think that lots and lots of players need to run +ev to win money. (but they don't know it)

This is fine, coz we all know that anyone can win @ poker and that makes it such a great game, everyone has a chance on their day....

However when these players run well +ev, and are moderate winners over a period of time, they come to believe that this is normal. They attribute their success to playing well, rather than running good.

Nobody runs good forever though, and inevitably these players will start to run neutral, inbetween good and bad......

What happens? 

They go from winning moderately, to losing moderately.....

Of course when a really top player runs neutral ev, they are still winners due to their skill edge in the game.

Then there's the third scenario, where we run bad. All World class players run bad, as do complete fish. It happens to everyone.

The 'bad/losing' player that is a moderate winner when running good, and a moderate loser when running neutral, now becomes a big losing player during a downswing, with no significant skill edge in the game to limit the damage/fight back against the varience.

The World beater who crushes, wins massive MTT's and scoops fortunes at cash when running good, and who shows a solid profit when running neutral, now becomes a moderate loser during a severe period of run bad.

--------------------

When I read from some players on here who say "Varience is kicking me in the stomach lately", what they actually could be experiencing, is that they have stopped running good, and are now running only slightly +ev, or neutral ev, which due to their skill level, and lack of skill edge, means their results begin to show a loss....

This isn't neccesserily a case of running bad, just running worse than you were before......

Of course a below average player who has spent a sustained period of time running good and winning, will start to look for reasons why this has stopped. 

You can't run good forever, there's only so far positive varience can take you, it's not a long term solution.

When the run good ends, the game gets tough .............

........The site/s don't suddenly become faulty.....................................

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Everyone thinks they are better at poker than they actually are

No one ever thinks they run good
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Running Good/Bad & understanding the V word.....:
    Everyone thinks they are better at poker than they actually are No one ever thinks they run good
    Posted by grantorino
    Then surely this is a huge contributing factor to all the "its rigged/faulty/unfair" posts....

Moderate winner  ----  On a heater

Break even ------ Running good.

Moderate loser ----- Running normal.

Big loser ------- Running slightly -ev

Rock bottom/busto ------ Running badddddddddddd

^^^^^^^ for alot of ppl, imo.
  • edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Running Good/Bad & understanding the V word..... : Then surely this is a huge contributing factor to all the "its rigged/faulty/unfair" posts.... Moderate winner  ----  On a heater Break even ------ Running good. Moderate loser ----- Running normal. Big loser ------- Running slightly -ev Rock bottom/busto ------ Running badddddddddddd ^^^^^^^ for alot of ppl, imo.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    probably, there are more losers than winners. Rake is also a not insignificant obstacle to being a winner
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Running Good/Bad & understanding the V word.....:
    Without mentioning any names, there are people on the forum/site who are bad players with lots of obvious/basic leaks..... They don't think/know this themselves, but the fact is they are......You can tell by watching/playing them and reading what they say about poker etc.... How do you think varience has influenced these people and made them think they are actually better than they are? And also led to doubts about the integrity of the site and online poker in general. I think that lots and lots of players need to run +ev to win money. (but they don't know it) This is fine, coz we all know that anyone can win @ poker and that makes it such a great game, everyone has a chance on their day.... However when these players run well +ev, and are moderate winners over a period of time, they come to believe that this is normal. They attribute their success to playing well, rather than running good. Nobody runs good forever though, and inevitably these players will start to run neutral, inbetween good and bad...... What happens?  They go from winning moderately, to losing moderately..... Of course when a really top player runs neutral ev, they are still winners due to their skill edge in the game. Then there's the third scenario, where we run bad. All World class players run bad, as do complete fish. It happens to everyone. The 'bad/losing' player that is a moderate winner when running good, and a moderate loser when running neutral, now becomes a big losing player during a downswing, with no significant skill edge in the game to limit the damage/fight back against the varience. The World beater who crushes, wins massive MTT's and scoops fortunes at cash when running good, and who shows a solid profit when running neutral, now becomes a moderate loser during a severe period of run bad. -------------------- When I read from some players on here who say "Varience is kicking me in the stomach lately", what they actually could be experiencing, is that they have stopped running good, and are now running only slightly +ev, or neutral ev, which due to their skill level, and lack of skill edge, means their results begin to show a loss.... This isn't neccesserily a case of running bad, just running worse than you were before...... Of course a below average player who has spent a sustained period of time running good and winning, will start to look for reasons why this has stopped.  You can't run good forever, there's only so far positive varience can take you, it's not a long term solution. When the run good ends, the game gets tough ............. ........The site/s don't suddenly become faulty.....................................
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Nice post dohhh , imo a gd solid plyer like myself gets the chips/cash in the middle when they know they are ahead , so no probs there yeah?? now what happens after is no fault of their own yeah ?? so if after lots of this occuring this makes myself/others bad players yeah ??

What ya make of this post ??
  • edited November 2011
    If you get your money in good, and you win, this is running +ev..........

• edited November 2011
    yeah but now but yeah but, get it in good innet
  • edited November 2011
    If you get your money in good, and you win, this is running +ev..........
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    i remember u trying to explain this to me a while back. I think i can remember the gist.

You get AA v KK all in pre and your at risk your going to win 80% of the time. So by winning this one hand youve won it 100% of the time so your 20% above EV ?
  • edited November 2011
    I think posts such as this hold alot of truth DOh.

But equally, on any model such as this their are going to be positive and negative ends of a standard spectrum.

So there are going to be aberrations with this.  People who play bad and run perma good, vice versa and inbetween.  With significant polar opposites on the spectrum, play regardless.

The answer to this obviously being BRM.

So if a person finds themselves at an unkind end of a very standard specrtum, but also have hoffific BRM, they are going to struggle.

As you know, some of the best players in the world are permabroke due to poor BRM.

We cant say the best players rise to the top, the bad are perpetual losers and nail it down.

I'd wholeheartedly agree that good /> players with great BRM will always do very well however.
  • edited November 2011
    I think posts such as this hold alot of truth DOh. But equally, on any model such as this their are going to be positive and negative ends of a standard spectrum. So there are going to be aberrations with this.  People who play bad and run perma good, vice versa and inbetween.  With significant polar opposites on the spectrum, play regardless. The answer to this obviously being BRM. So if a person finds themselves at an unkind end of a very standard specrtum, but also have hoffific BRM, they are going to struggle. As you know, some of the best players in the world are permabroke due to poor BRM. We cant say the best players rise to the top, the bad are perpetual losers and nail it down. I'd wholeheartedly agree that good /> players with great BRM will always do very well however.
    Posted by AMYBR
    No not at all really cos they would still have to run good to be able to do this , the BEST player in the world could in theory play for x amount of months and NEVER get it in unless ahead and still in theory could LOSE every hand.

He could then post on every forum in the world sayin how can i possibly LOSE every time ??

The answer would be 'well thats variance'

No one ever ever will be able to prove OR disprove if anything untoward is goin on behind the scenes.

You either PLAY or DONT PLAY

imo it really is that simplez
  • edited November 2011
    The thing i've always wondered if anything untoward was happening is why has there never been a disgruntled ex-employee whistle blowing ?

It would have happened by now.

Great opening post by DOHHHHHHHH.
  • edited November 2011
    Everyone thinks they are better at poker than they actually are No one ever thinks they run good
    Posted by grantorino
    I'm probably the best player on this site.

And don't even need to run good tbh.

I'm Tiger Woods.
  • edited November 2011
    The thing that boggles my mind is I know diddly squat about AV and all the intricacies of the game and I am genuinly to lazy to learn as so far I have had no need to take all that malarky into consideration.

By rights if this info is truly helpful to then every one of you should have me crushed.
    Im thinking that maybe people are more concerned with minutia info to the detriment of developing a decent game.
    I know logic should state more info = better decission but this only applies in accordance to the importance of the info you already have.
    The very top players would probably use all the info you guys discuss on account of thier dedication to the game combined with thier natural ability and genius of mind.
    Kind of agreeing with you here dohhh, just saying it in a different way.
  • edited November 2011
    6pm on a sunday..definately cattletrucked :P

nice post dohhhhhhhhhhhh
  • edited November 2011
    dohhhh, what do you say to people who are massively winning on here and still think the rng is fixed??? i can think of a few

• edited November 2011
  • edited November 2011
    dohhhh, what do you say to people who are massively winning on here and still think the rng is fixed??? i can think of a few
    Posted by pod1
    Well that doesnt fit the theory does it so its ignored I suspect. However there is a big difference between intentionally rigged and not random. Cant see any site ever intentionally rigging the action. However given the post is about understanding variance it would be nice to see some statistical analysis showing that indeed the card distribution falls within expected probabilities, without this, whilst undeniably a good read, it has no more merit than a claim the cards dont fall random?
  • edited November 2011
    how can there be a difference between intentionally rigged and not random? if something is manufactured its not random. explain please!!!
  • edited November 2011

If I make a dice with two number fives on it and claim its a 1/6 chance of hitting each side thats intentionally rigged. If the dice is manufactured incorrectly and is marginally weighted toward one side that wouldnt be intentional but the results wouldnt be random like a normal dice

• edited November 2011
    are you saying then the "dice" is accidentally loaded one way or intentionally loaded one way, if the 2nd is true then randomness could never be achieved on purpose, hence fixed. the old saying of "if you shot me accidentally or shot me on purpose, you still shot me" springs to mind.
  • edited November 2011
    Who shot who?   I was in bed sleeping.
  • edited November 2011
    1). +EV is about extracting maximum value from every situation, that's what seperates the guys that crush the game from the rest of us.

2). Good play is just consistenly extracting value and making good decisions.

Forget +EV..... The guys that blame the software for consistently bad results are failing at point 2 yet alone point 1
  • edited November 2011
    hi skilist, your point falls down slightly with the likes of baggs and dj. they are crushing the game (check sharkscope out) yet they feel things arnt right . baggs and myself have had some disagreements in the past on other issues, but he has a point here (although if i was in his situation i would be keeping stum!)
  • edited November 2011
    Pod - in the analogy I meant the former of your scenarios
  • edited November 2011
    Am I the only person who chuckled at "Understanding the V word" in the title? :o