You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do players keep calling with junk?

Dream flop for villain though !!!

Other than this flop, what was he expecting to see?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
davelufc Small blind  30.00 30.00 4360.00
jayjools Big blind  60.00 90.00 3790.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

Rickyyyy Call  60.00 150.00 6102.50
Quacka7 Call  60.00 210.00 3792.50
eversure07 Fold     
sladee02 Call  60.00 270.00 2517.50
davelufc Raise  300.00 570.00 4060.00
jayjools Fold     
Rickyyyy Fold     
Quacka7 Call  270.00 840.00 3522.50
sladee02 Call  270.00 1110.00 2247.50
Flop

davelufc All-in  4060.00 5170.00 0.00
Quacka7 All-in  3522.50 8692.50 0.00
sladee02 Fold     
davelufc Unmatched bet  537.50 8155.00 537.50
davelufc Show
  • K
  • K

Quacka7 Show

Turn

River

• J

Quacka7 Win Three 6s 8155.00  8155.00

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Not keen on betting 4k into a pot of 1,000 or so - Are you going to get called by someone with anything other than a 6 there? Not saying you would've got away from the hand if you'd played it differently anyway, but not keen on the all in either. Other guy shouldn't have really been in that hand in the first place though, unlucky.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk?:
    Not keen on betting 4k into a pot of 1,000 or so - Are you going to get called by someone with anything other than a 6 there? Not saying you would've got away from the hand if you'd played it differently anyway, but not keen on the all in either. Other guy shouldn't have really been in that hand in the first place though, unlucky.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    Thanks for the reply, i went all in after the flop because i had him on AQ/AK/AJ or a big pp after he called my raise pre, i thought flop was pretty good for KK.

I certainly didn`t put him on a 6, like you say, he shouln`t really have been in the hand.

6 3 os, another premium hand triumphs again!!!!!!
  • edited November 2011
    Why do you want him to fold 63o, you are 85% fave preflop so you win a LOT, he got lucky here but who cares when you bleed him dry in the long run, just make sure you noted him up for next time.

As played though flop bet is awful as it takes away any chance of him bluffing he only calls with made hands, yes hard to have 6 after preflop raise but you want to make it about 650 so he can make flop call with over cards like AJ AQ and also he may think he can shove to make you fold whereby you quickly call.
  • edited November 2011
    The standard of players calls to high raises or all ins is abysmal on this site, the players on sky poker tele make the standard of players on this site look better than it really is, if you play dyms at any levels then you will know what i mean.

The fact that Sky poker rewards these players with outdraws CONSISTANTLY is a joke.

To answer the question, they call because they are simple.
  • edited November 2011
    The standard of players calls to high raises or all ins is abysmal on this site, the players on sky poker tele make the standard of players on this site look better than it really is, if you play dyms at any levels then you will know what i mean. The fact that Sky poker rewards these playerswith outdraws CONSISTANTLY is a joke. To answer the question, they call because they are simple.
    Posted by SCHOF78
    Anyone that thinks Sky rewards players who play badly cannot comment on the intelligence of others imo...
  • edited November 2011
    Why do you want him to fold 63o, you are 85% fave preflop so you win a LOT, he got lucky here but who cares when you bleed him dry in the long run, just make sure you noted him up for next time. As played though flop bet is awful as it takes away any chance of him bluffing he only calls with made hands, yes hard to have 6 after preflop raise but you want to make it about 650 so he can make flop call with over cards like AJ AQ and also he may think he can shove to make you fold whereby you quickly call.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Cheers dude, i appreciate your response.

I suppose it was just one of those hands that i was not destined to win.

Flop bet was poor as you say but i was trying to get him off the hand.

I have made notes on player.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Anyone that thinks Sky rewards players who play badly cannot comment on the intelligence of others imo...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Im not the silent minority on this subject, if you dont think it happens on a regular basis, your either very lucky or naive.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Im not the silent minority on this subject, if you dont think it happens on a regular basis, your either very lucky or naive.
    Posted by SCHOF78
    Or.... you are probably just a losing player and covering your ears in the face of what is... logic?
    You're right though, people who say poker is rigged arn't silent, nor are they the minority, because 95% of poker players are losing players. It doesn't take a genius to realise that poker is a skill game, and bad-beats happen on EVERY site, and both Live, and Online.
    I'm doing a post soon on my blog about whether poker is rigged, you should check it out sir. Not that it'll change your mind because the psychology behind thinking poker is rigged will likely mean you are stubborn about changing your mind-set. It's comforting to think that everyone else is wrong and you are right. That you losing money online isn't your fault and that's it's Sky's fault for being 'rigged'. Because god forbid you do some investigation into the matter, it's much easier to just shut out everyone elses logical viewpoint, and just cross your arms and give the V's to everyone that doesn't agree with you.

I know that, because, well, even though i'm a winning player online there are and have been times where i've quit poker because i've ran bad, and even thought it was rigged at some points too. (years ago when i was uneducated and misinformed. And i wasn't too good either!)

Oh and imo, i hate to say it, but OP played the hand poorly. Even the justification behind the play wasn't sufficient to explain why he shoved the flop. Having said that, whether you bet 4k or 500 you still go broke in the hand, so it's just ul really.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Or.... you are probably just a losing player and covering your ears in the face of what is... logic? You're right though, people who say poker is rigged arn't silent, nor are they the minority, because 95% of poker players are losing players. It doesn't take a genius to realise that poker is a skill game, and bad-beats happen on EVERY site, and both Live, and Online. I'm doing a post soon on my blog about whether poker is rigged, you should check it out sir. Not that it'll change your mind because the psychology behind thinking poker is rigged will likely mean you are stubborn about changing your mind-set. It's comforting to think that everyone else is wrong and you are right. That you losing money online isn't your fault and that's it's Sky's fault for being 'rigged'. Because god forbid you do some investigation into the matter, it's much easier to just shut out everyone elses logical viewpoint, and just cross your arms and give the V's to everyone that doesn't agree with you. I know that, because, well, even though i'm a winning player online there are and have been times where i've quit poker because i've ran bad, and even thought it was rigged at some points too. (years ago when i was uneducated and misinformed. And i wasn't too good either!) Oh and imo, i hate to say it, but OP played the hand poorly. Even the justification behind the play wasn't sufficient to explain why he shoved the flop. Having said that, whether you bet 4k or 500 you still go broke in the hand, so it's just ul really.
    Posted by Smitalos
    you certainly arent a winning player on this site, sharkscope says very much otherwise, you are over a $1,000 in deficet, youll forgive me if i dont treat this post with the upmost respect.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : you certainly arent a winning player on this site, sharkscope says very much otherwise, you are over a $1,000 in deficet, youll forgive me if i dont treat this post with the upmost respect.
    Posted by SCHOF78
    Not that i need to prove myself, but i'm a cash player, not a tourney or sit+go player. Nice sample size to generalise from sir, especially seeing as half of that graph are actually tournies i satellited into.

Also, wp to you for thinking that just because i might be a losing player, means that i'm not right with what i've said. Just because i may be a losing player, doesn't mean that when i say 2 + 2 is 4, that i'm wrong.

But nicely done Sherlock, come sit with me at the tables for some free money some time.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Or.... you are probably just a losing player and covering your ears in the face of what is... logic? You're right though, people who say poker is rigged arn't silent, nor are they the minority, because 95% of poker players are losing players. It doesn't take a genius to realise that poker is a skill game, and bad-beats happen on EVERY site, and both Live, and Online. I'm doing a post soon on my blog about whether poker is rigged, you should check it out sir. Not that it'll change your mind because the psychology behind thinking poker is rigged will likely mean you are stubborn about changing your mind-set. It's comforting to think that everyone else is wrong and you are right. That you losing money online isn't your fault and that's it's Sky's fault for being 'rigged'. Because god forbid you do some investigation into the matter, it's much easier to just shut out everyone elses logical viewpoint, and just cross your arms and give the V's to everyone that doesn't agree with you. I know that, because, well, even though i'm a winning player online there are and have been times where i've quit poker because i've ran bad, and even thought it was rigged at some points too. (years ago when i was uneducated and misinformed. And i wasn't too good either!) Oh and imo, i hate to say it, but OP played the hand poorly. Even the justification behind the play wasn't sufficient to explain why he shoved the flop. Having said that, whether you bet 4k or 500 you still go broke in the hand, so it's just ul really.
    Posted by Smitalos
    It really is unbelievable how many people think the game is rigged. I admit that sometimes I luckbox my way through the game. But I realise that sometimes it goes the other way. If I had KK and someone called me with 63 I would be very happy. Then again I almost always play cash, I kept getting bust out by people making bad calls. Like they say though, "play how you want it's your money."

The originiator of the post was unlucky, it happens though. Would he be more pleased if his KK ran into AA or a flopped set, I doubt it. If you play long enough you will see more bad beats than you can shake a stick at.

GL.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Not that i need to prove myself, but i'm a cash player, not a tourney or sit+go player. Nice sample size to generalise from sir, especially seeing as half of that graph are actually tournies i satellited into. Also, wp to you for thinking that just because i might be a losing player, means that i'm not right with what i've said. Just because i may be a losing player, doesn't mean that when i say 2 + 2 is 4, that i'm wrong. But nicely done Sherlock, come sit with me at the tables for some free money some time.
    Posted by Smitalos
    Wow you so when you play sit n gos or tourneys you suddenly become a really poor player?? the majority of the top cash players on this site go well in tourneys and high stakes dyms.

Fact is you have played 220 games on sky poker and your $1,322 down, my record isnt amazing either.  But im certainly not being lectured by someone who is clearly a fraud and yes it does matter who is giving the advice.
  • edited November 2011
    Just wanted to weigh in from this from a Live play POV.

There's a game I used to plat at Nap's In hull every tuesday for around 3 years.  £50 FO DS 10k in chips around 45/50 runners.  Solid structure.

At least 10 of these players never knew what the heck they were doing from the 1st day they started until 3 years later. 

Its not important to them to learn poker strategy, optimum play or learning the correct stack size decisions. 

They still lift their cards up like they are reading a book.  Pay no attention to the bet sizes in front of them,  Even when a hand has been 4bet by the time it got to them.  They'll still look at J8o and think "Oi'll like to see aaahhh flooorrp withhhh thaaarrrt", even if its for 70% of their stack to call.

They'll limp 40% of their stack to fold to a raise.

Some people arent interested in being great poker players.  Nor do they care how bad they play.  Nor do they have any interest in learning/changing or improving.  They will do what they want to do, be it profitable or just downright spewy.

To them, the hand starts on the flop.  Stack regardless, bets pre regardless, table images regardless.

Learning to be a better player doesnt even enter some peoples minds.  3yrs, every week, they still played as bad as when they started.

Frustrating?  Yes.  Can we change it?  Do we WANT to change it?  No
  • edited November 2011
    What i have learnt on this site over the few years im playing on it  is to expect the unexpected seen so many times players putting in maybe 5x raise pre knowing more than likely big pocket pair calling with low to medium suited connectors and hitting flop hard 2 pair etc and doing exactly what you did and do your stack with big over bet personally im betting smaller on the flop and take it from there then again depending on stack size what  do on the turn, river.
    Just unlucky ...

Just wanted to weigh in from this from a Live play POV. There's a game I used to plat at Nap's In hull every tuesday for around 3 years.  £50 FO DS 10k in chips around 45/50 runners.  Solid structure. At least 10 of these players never knew what the heck they were doing from the 1st day they started until 3 years later.  Its not important to them to learn poker strategy, optimum play or learning the correct stack size decisions.  They still lift their cards up like they are reading a book.  Pay no attention to the bet sizes in front of them,  Even when a hand has been 4bet by the time it got to them.  They'll still look at J8o and think "Oi'll like to see aaahhh flooorrp withhhh thaaarrrt", even if its for 70% of their stack to call. They'll limp 40% of their stack to fold to a raise. Some people arent interested in being great poker players.  Nor do they care how bad they play.  Nor do they have any interest in learning/changing or improving.  They will do what they want to do, be it profitable or just downright spewy. To them, the hand starts on the flop.  Stack regardless, bets pre regardless, table images regardless. Learning to be a better player doesnt even enter some peoples minds.  3yrs, every week, they still played as bad as when they started. Frustrating?  Yes.  Can we change it?  Do we WANT to change it?  No
    Posted by AMYBR
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do players keep calling with junk? : Wow you so when you play sit n gos or tourneys you suddenly become a really poor player?? the majority of the top cash players on this site go well in tourneys and high stakes dyms. Fact is you have played 220 games on sky poker and your $1,322 down, my record isnt amazing either.  But im certainly not being lectured by someone who is clearly a fraud and yes it does matter who is giving the advice.
    Posted by SCHOF78
    This is my last reply to you sir as you clearly seem like a lost cause. I'd much rather spend the time on here talking with people who love and care about the game. Mike, Ambyr, Neil, etc.

Fraud? lol, carlossmitalos.blogspot.com . Enjoy.

The sample size of tournies and sit'n'go's is ridiculously small, and you're oblivious to what makes a good player. Just by coming on here and slandering me for being poor when you've never ever seen me play 1 hand, is hilarious.
    But let's get onto the reason why you feel like you have to come on here and troll, moan, and generally be a pain in the @ss to the rest of us trying to have a decent conversation about poker.
    Funny how poker isn't rigged when you yourself get lucky, but when other people get lucky on you. Nevermind the fact the hand wasn't played the best to begin with.

Most of the time when i've thought i've ran bad, it turns out i've played the hand sub-optimally to begin with. All you have to do is look on YouTube and see the super-sick suckouts that happen live to realise online poker is simply not-rigged. It's much easier and makes you happier to just be extremely stubborn and think that everyone else is wrong rather than review your own play and possibly find out that you were wrong. (because, no-one likes being wrong, right?).

99.9% of players who say it's rigged are poor players. Heck, at one stage of my life beginning to learn poker i thought FullTilt could've been rigged! Turns out i just sucked and whilst i did run really bad, i didn't play well either.

Like Ambyr said, the only way we could ever prove it's the players fault for losing money is because they're poor, is to show them that they're bad.
    Do we want that? No thank you!
  • edited November 2011
    I never said that.
  • edited November 2011
    "Frustrating?  Yes.  Can we change it?  Do we WANT to change it?  No"

Referring to the bad poker players you've played against.

Which is exactly what i was implying, by saying that i'd rather not change the way bad players play against me.

The hint was the 'Like xxxx said', not 'xxxx said'. Apologies if it came across in a way that seems like you'd never want to help people correct their mistakes at the table, even though i would've thought people could see just from your post count that this is not the case.
  • edited November 2011
    My post was describing a certain spectrum of players, not losing players as a whole.  Or people who have bad experiences, dont believe in pigeon holing.

Was directly responding to theme of thread, "Why do players keep caalling with junk".  Some people just play to play, never caring about anything else.
  • edited November 2011
    Smitalos, the funniest thing is you labelling players bad when the stats clearly show you lose money hand over fist.

Delusional?? Not much.  Your form varies from tilt to super tilt. I rest my case.

Laters

http://www.sharkscope.com/
  • edited November 2011
    This is LOL just LOL
    jimyjane Small blind  50.00 50.00 2945.00
    potsize Big blind  100.00 150.00 1680.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

MRB4CELTIC Call  100.00 250.00 3000.00
    SolarCarro Raise  400.00 650.00 1085.00
    baldie14 Fold     
    jimyjane Fold     
    potsize Fold     
    MRB4CELTIC Call  300.00 950.00 2700.00
    Flop

• A

MRB4CELTIC Check     
    SolarCarro All-in  1085.00 2035.00 0.00
    MRB4CELTIC Call  1085.00 3120.00 1615.00
    MRB4CELTIC Show

SolarCarro Show
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

MRB4CELTIC Win Flush to the Ace 3120.00  4735.00
  • edited November 2011
    This is LOL just LOL jimyjane Small blind   50.00 50.00 2945.00 potsize Big blind   100.00 150.00 1680.00   Your hole cards K K       MRB4CELTIC Call   100.00 250.00 3000.00 SolarCarro Raise   400.00 650.00 1085.00 baldie14 Fold         jimyjane Fold         potsize Fold         MRB4CELTIC Call   300.00 950.00 2700.00 Flop     4 10 A       MRB4CELTIC Check         SolarCarro All-in   1085.00 2035.00 0.00 MRB4CELTIC Call   1085.00 3120.00 1615.00 MRB4CELTIC Show 10 6       SolarCarro Show K K       Turn     7       River     2       MRB4CELTIC Win Flush to the Ace 3120.00   4735.00
    Posted by SolarCarro
    OUCH, ul m8.

• edited November 2011
    They call with junk to do this. Knew when he called flop bet that an all in would be called as I'd seen him call light a lot.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    sinlay Sit out        
    quid Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £3.57
    stavanti9 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £11.44
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A

Baughallo Call   £0.10 £0.25 £4.78
    Mohican Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £10.33
    zimzams703 Call   £0.40 £1.05 £3.63
    quid Fold        
    stavanti9 Fold        
    Baughallo Call   £0.30 £1.35 £4.48
    Flop

• Q
    • J

Baughallo Check        
    Mohican Bet   £0.90 £2.25 £9.43
    zimzams703 Call   £0.90 £3.15 £2.73
    Baughallo Fold        
    Turn

Mohican Bet   £3.15 £6.30 £6.28
    zimzams703 All-in   £2.73 £9.03 £0.00
    Mohican Unmatched bet   £0.42 £8.61 £6.70
    Mohican Show
    • Q
    • A

zimzams703 Show
    • J

River

Mohican Win Pair of Queens £7.96   £14.66
  • edited November 2011
    Smitalos, the funniest thing is you labelling players bad when the stats clearly show you lose money hand over fist. Delusional?? Not much.  Your form varies from tilt to super tilt. I rest my case. Laters http://www.sharkscope.com/
    Posted by SCHOF78
    ITS ALL 1 BIG FIX :O)