You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bet sizing

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
one major issue i have im my game id like to fix is my bet sizing. pre flop im pretty comfortable fwiw. however post flop i really stuggle. Online i get by but 1/2pot, 3.4 pot and pot bets which works at my stakes. however when i play outwith that or live im completely clueless. So looking for a bit of advice.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I have the same issue myself don maybe its down to the reads you have as regards the player on what they will pay or what they will fold at. Be interesting to read the comments!
  • edited November 2011
    maybe discuss why you size your bets at all?

if the options are bet

1) nothing

2) the minimum

3) the maximum

4) half pot 

5) pot sized bet.

pros/cons. boards you'd be more likely to use certain sizes on? villains tendencies etc?
  • edited November 2011
    Best advice I can give in terms of live bet sizing is this: 

Take your time.  We arent against the clock til someone calls it.  Dont rush any motion.  Keep a mental track on the pot, bet accordingly.  The habitual slow act doesnt define your range, as long as you take same time to act.  But players will always assume something from a reasonable pause, often the wrong thing (being a varefully priced VB or if your just going to barrell.)

Consistency is always going to be key, as is with online.  But also being sure of our reasons for betting.  Range finding is always going to be significantly easier live, so adapting our bet sizing and stack size decisions is also easier.

Going to get floated and called down light less also, for most part, so our reasons for betting need to be clearer.

People do tend to give up on pots easier live also (IMO).  Mainly because they dont have the immediate wealth of info in regard to instant pot size and stack size.  Obviously always going to be player dependant however, which you are good enough to determine.

Always be concious of own stack, what it will allow us to do through streets once bet and called. 

Its always going to depend on opponents comfort zone.  I dont hate leading 1/3 pot multiway (mostly as a probe), but most often will be half potting.  Its easier to overbet live also IMO

Have a good friend who is mostly very good.  But he 2/3rds every pot he's interested in on flop, but then slightly /> 1/3's turn, pricing in everything that calls flop.  Recipe for disaster.

But mostly, as important as what we bet, is why we are betting and what we are hoping for (and can react to.).

Have to say my opinion is mostly worthless just now though  Good luck bud.
  • edited November 2011
    If you not sure just bet just over 1/2 pot )

pointers

Your stack, oppo stack and pot 
     Think ahead, if I bet flop and get called what will be my turn bet - and then river - will oppo be committed by flop/turn/river  Think about the end result not just the action on one street - all bets start from pre so think about from pre
     Who is oppo and what will they do
     Also think about what oppo is doing in given situation and how can you exploit it, more MTT than cash I guess

• edited November 2011
    cant go wrong in 3/4 betting but if its a dangerous flop say like u have a k and it comes down k j q with 2 same suit thats what i call a wet flop so i would just half pot bet it