You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hero call river?

Reads yo: well, don't have a ton of hands with villain as i'm pretty new to the site (prolly like 150), but he seems like a pretty standard TAG reg, but a little nitty pf (maybe like 16/14). Haven't seen him ever showdown anything particularly tricky, so idk how capable he is of losing his mind in a spot like this.

I haven't worked out how to post HH's yet, but effective stacks are 100BB's

£0.25/£0.50 6 Max NLH

Hero dealt: 7d6d

Villain: raises to £1.50
2 folds
Hero: calls
2 folds

Flop: 7s4dKs

Villain: bets £4
Hero: Calls

Turn: 5h

Villain: Bets £9
Hero: Calls

River: 9d

Villain: Bets £27
Hero: ???

Like, I think he c-bets 100% of his range on that flop so like AT-AK, 66-AA, KQ, KJs, JTs, maybe some random SC's aswell, so calling seems pretty standard. On the turn, he's probably not barrelling a ton, but I don't need him to be barrelling air very much to amke a call with 2nd pair + OESD getting 2:1 so i'm not really bothered about the flop and turn. But on the river, his 3 streets of value range is so narrow, like, Is a solid reg really cpapble of going for 3 streets of value with one pair on such a straighted board. Probably not, so that limits his range entirely to sets and missed flush draws. Sick spot imo, thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2009
    You know the answer to the question - I think you called and know what he had!

But from the information you've provided. He raised UTG, then made a pot-sized bet on every street. It looks like he's got your sevens beat all-ends-up and was making anyone drawing to the straight or flush have to pay for the privilege.

• edited October 2009
    I folded fwiw

But if he puts me on a draw with like TP2K or w/e, surely its better to check call (tunr his hand into a bluff catcher), as i'm never going to call with a missed draw, but I may bet with one?
  • edited October 2009
    To help, you go to hand history and then copy and paste any hand u want to post.  It doesn't look right when u have pasted but, once u add the post, it becomes crystal clear and perfect to look at.
  • edited October 2009
    I'm amazed you folded. You're obviously a lot better than me - in the heat of battle I'd have probably called!

Maybe his final bet was a pure value bet? The river card was clearly no use (if you had a straight, you must have had it by the turn). Maybe it was an attempt at pot control - could his KJ stand an all-in if he checked? I don't know what he was thinking.

Why didn't you raise the turn btw? It was a great scare card and would have got him off it if he'd missed the K.

• edited October 2009
    Turn thought process

With 2 spades and 457 on the board my percieved shoving range is sets (444, 555 & 777), 75s, and like a gabillion pair + draw hands. I feel like he's solid enough to realise calling that range with KJ+ is probably ok. The fact that it's the Ks makes it slightly closer to a shove because he can never have top pair + f/d, but I still think when I call the turn, most reg TAG's check down their bluffs and one pair hands. So i guess I don't want to turn decent s/d value into a semi bluff? 
  • edited October 2009
    and ty phil, for the HH help.

Anyone else have any thoughts on a river call?
  • edited October 2009
    Villains play seems consistent with a set, AK, KQ, possibly even KJ therefore I think you fold the river, raising the turn would of made your decision easier (villain could of folded, or called then checked river showing weakness or of cause re-raised), but since you flat called you gained no information. Also the boards not that straightening, if your opponent was worried about you having 6 8, I don't think he sticks £27 in on the river.
  • edited October 2009
    Depends on the reg but IMO its a fold.  A few 1 pair hands will bet for value, esp with you being an unknown they can maybe put on a weak K and be sure they're kicker is good . 

I think its a littler early into to be hero calling with so few hands on the villains. 

• edited October 2009
    easy fold. I doubt villain is bluffing here enough to ever make it a good call. I dont think any semi decent reg bluffs a missed flush draw on this river because hes getting looked up by a K so often.
  • edited October 2009
    I agree that the river looks like a fold, but was a raise on the turn worth consideration? Your equity on the hand went up when turning the OESD and it does make your hand look pretty strong. Even if you miss the river, you are setting up the river play to be a whole lot easier.
  • edited October 2009

I reckon you made the right fold.

A 16/14 in my book is not a solid reg, thats a nit
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: Hero call river?:
    I agree that the river looks like a fold, but was a raise on the turn worth consideration? Your equity on the hand went up when turning the OESD and it does make your hand look pretty strong. Even if you miss the river, you are setting up the river play to be a whole lot easier.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
     I already adressed the turn, and am almost certain raising is not the best play, though it probably is EV+