You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

am i a fish??

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
been on the table with this player about 2hrs, reg at this level and maybe higher. im pretty sure im ahead up to the river. his flatting suggests a draw or a biggish pp (well thats what i thought anyhows). when the river comes i was going to c/c. the size of the bet was the confusing bit, overbet, max value, protecting???. had this been at a lower level i woulda insta folded, but this player can do this with air. should i call?
pod1Small blind £0.20£0.20£46.76
AJ_RocketsBig blind £0.40£0.60£54.39
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

Raise £1.20£1.80£66.17
cyberdogFold    
shawsokFold    
pod1Raise £2.60£4.40£44.16
AJ_RocketsFold    
 Call £1.60£6.00£64.57
Flop

pod1Bet £3.00£9.00£41.16
 Call £3.00£12.00£61.57
Turn

pod1Bet £6.00£18.00£35.16
 Call £6.00£24.00£55.57
River

pod1Check    
 All-in £55.57£79.57£0.00

Comments

• edited November 2011
    3bet BIGGER pre at least £3.60 total probz just £4.

Flop bet at least £4.50.

Turn as played bet £8.

River flush gets there but if you bet bigger on flop turn river can be shove as played still probz bet call.
  • edited November 2011
    Raise more pre, £3.60.      
    9,10,3dd flop.  This is draw heavy you need to bet />1/2 pot, 70% of pot is prob best. You have give him a v good price to call for a draw.  If you had bet more pre and on flop villan might RR with his draw as he is not getting the right price.
    How often have you 3 bet from the small blind? If villan is good and you have a very slim 3bet range then he might have you on the hand you have, thats why he shoves river, pos thinking you wont fold overpair.
  • edited November 2011
    villain has a flush - fold
  • edited November 2011
    certainly repping it humme, but would you bet that big?  i havnt been showing massive strength so why bet so big?
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: am i a fish??:
    certainly repping it humme, but would you bet that big?  i havnt been showing massive strength so why bet so big?
    Posted by pod1
    This is a good point if you had hit the back door flush would you want a fold or bet for value.
  • edited November 2011
    thank you waynec

• edited November 2011
    50/50 on this one, depends does oppo bluff a high percentage or not 
    Capable of floating two streets ?

You 3 bet and fire two streets, he probably got you beat and knows you have overpair
  • edited November 2011
    Tough to work out what he could of had here but most probably a flush, but as said before i like to 3bet 3x the size of the first raise, builds the pot for a bigger bet on the flop and turn and would of left you committed rather than being put into te difficult spot you were in on the river.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: am i a fish?? : This is a good point if you had hit the back door flush would you want a fold or bet for value.
    Posted by waynec
    (a) its not a backdoor flush
    (b) surely if he thinks hes ahead shoving allows him the chance to max his value
  • edited November 2011
    pod, give some relevant info

1 Whats your perceived 3b range sb v utg
    2 What do you think villains calling range is.
    3 Would he usually flat nfd or sets on that flop/turn
    4 Does he think you are capable of laying down an overpair

3bet bigger pre, you are oop and slightly deep, I would make it 4.20

Bet flop a little bigger, I doubt he folds much

Personally I prob type fml in the chatbox and call from limited info you gave, he shouldnt have many flushes or sets here imo. On the otherhand he shouldnt have much air and I wouldnt think he bets JJ,QQ that often here, toughie
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: am i a fish?? : (a) its not a backdoor flush (b) surely if he thinks hes ahead shoving allows him the chance to max his value
    Posted by grantorino
    But that obv depends on how likely he thinks pod is to call, by that same logic you should open shove with AA preflop every time.
  • edited November 2011
    pod, give some relevant info 1 Whats your perceived 3b range sb v utg 2 What do you think villains calling range is. 3 Would he usually flat nfd or sets on that flop/turn 4 Does he think you are capable of laying down an overpair 3bet bigger pre, you are oop and slightly deep, I would make it 4.20 Bet flop a little bigger, I doubt he folds much Personally I prob type fml in the chatbox and call from limited info you gave, he shouldnt have many flushes or sets here imo. On the otherhand he shouldnt have much air and I wouldnt think he bets JJ,QQ that often here, toughie
    Posted by grantorino
    What would oppo flat 3 bet pre with and flat that flop with is the big question
    I can only see FD's in range, apart from that an under repped KK maxing value on river from QQ/JJ
    Oppo could be playing it not bothered about flush at all, which imo is very likely if oppo is very good !
    Does oppo think you lead with FD's ?

• edited November 2011
    1)at this level grantorino 9s+, ak
    2)just flatting me pre i would say small pps, 10 j, jq,qk, aj, aq
    3)thinking he raises, not saying hes lag, but he aint passive
    4)im not sure on this one at the river, i have been folding to 3 bets post and on the flop(have to stop raising out of pos at this level, they dont let you get away with it!!!). like i say this was a tough one for me, my slightly cavalier approach to the lower levels has done me proud over the last 2mnths even at nl20 theres a lot you can get away with. really having to think now which is good as nl30/40 is were i fell down last time around. 6mnths ago i woulda snapped folded this but with a bit of thinking i came to a different conclusion!
  • edited November 2011
    rancid, i always lead with flush draws!
  • edited November 2011
    raise bigger pre like £3.20 on flop is a wet flop str8 draws out and flush draws id bet around £5 and turn looks a blank i would bet pot to make villain pay for str8 draws or flush draw 
  • edited November 2011
    people saying flush this could easily be a set here
  • edited November 2011
    rancid, i always lead with flush draws!
    Posted by pod1
    If oppo is aware of you leading all your range, then what can he be calling with and shoving river with !
    I think it's very much how oppo perceives you because it's very confusing )

But oppo could easily show you nutz here tbh :)(
    Just puts you in that spot where you think "He is good, therefore he would never do this with nutz" and you call !!

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: am i a fish?? : But that obv depends on how likely he thinks pod is to call, by that same logic you should open shove with AA preflop every time.
    Posted by Poker_Fail
    Wow, explain that massive leap in logic

I said shoving allows villain the chance to max his value, as it doesnt look like a spot where betting small is likely to induce. The max villain can win is £35 more, assuming pod never c/r any hand that doesnt call it off the best way get that 35 is to shove. I also never said villain should shove. I think though assuming it leans his range more towards a bluff than value is dangerous.

Obv the amount he bets depends how likely he thinks he is to get a call whether he is vbetting or bluffing. If he is betting for value the more he bets the less often he needs to get called. If he is bluffing the more he bets the more often he has to get folds. Betsizing is about finding the figure which acheives the most profit.

For example if villain has nuts and somehow knows a bet of £18 gets called 100% he should shove if a bet of £35 gets called at least 52% of time. Thats just a very rough example the optimum figure may well lie between
  • edited November 2011
    poker fail open shove aces everytime loooool its not a late stages of dym m8 its cash withe these hands u dnt see for like once every hour u want to get maximum value y would u wanna shove preflop with aces just madness 
  • edited November 2011
    do i take it then it wasnt that bad a call then, as long as my thinking is right then?

• edited November 2011
    not a bad call imo