You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Making Up?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm putting this out on the forum for discussion and would love everyone's thoughts on it.  I make it clear I'm talking tournament and NOT cash play for this as I appreciate, to a degree, cash is different.

Do you make up the small blind or not where there have been others limping into the pot even with junk?  I play both online and have returned to playing occassionally and certainly live I get some strange looks for not making up the blinds.  

My arguement is that in a tournament through its course more chips are spent to play 'junk' out of position by making up as each orbit you are in effect posting 2 BB's not 1.  Sure if I have a strong hand then its a no brainer....raise not limp.. charge the limpers a 'limpers tax' to see the flop especially as I'm playing out of position.

Thoughts guys and girls please as I'm interested in how you approach this subject.

Comments

• edited November 2011
    depends on ya cards and what blind levels early stages say blinds 10/20 and u are in for 10 and have starting stack of 2000 then yeah deffo u have 100 big blinds but later stages of a tourney when blinds are say 1k/2k and u have say 40 k u only have 20 big blinds u dont really want to put 1 big blind in out of 20 on a bad hand where u can hit top pair say and some 1 got same pair with higher kicker i see this alot and get married to the hand with 1 pair and lose their stack because they called a xtra 1 big blind late stages i fnd spot to go all in or fold but early stages of a tourey i think its fine to call hope this has helped 
  • edited November 2011

i think it depends on a several things what stage at tourney,blinds compared to stack,your opponent if you limp all the time will he always check to let you in.

but basically i just fold my junk hand most of the time unless playin a really tight player i will raise knowin he wont call without a hand,but i never limp at the late stages of a tourney raise or fold imo and make up your mind on the flop if you continuing with the hand 1.2 or 3 barrels

hope this helps m8

• edited November 2011
    Generally fold as ive forgotten how many times ive got cheap in with junk in sb or bb flopped a weak 2 pair married them and gone home
  • edited November 2011

Depends what we mean by junk and what the players are limping in with. You don't want to limp in out of possition with J2o, hit two pair and still be behind.

The thing is if you are in a pot with four limpers in the small blind with K2o you are getting 11:1 on the call however against five other completely random hands you are 6.25:1. However they are probably not limping with random hands. There's probably going to be a small pocket pair and some suited connecters or gap connecters out there. You probably aren't getting the right odds even in this apparently favorable situation.

• edited November 2011
    Theres junk, and then thers junk.

Also depends hugely on stacksize.

Given a hand of semi potential, with a stack and reads I will always make it up.

But we dont want get in pots where we catch a piece and end up getting involved in a silly spot where we never would do otherwise.

• edited November 2011
    Let my qualify my post, sure if there is draw / flush potential then I make up but much prefer to enter an unraised pot with a raise.  I am talking about the over used comment of 'the impled odds' being a justification for making up the blind incase you flop the world with 8/4 off or the like.

I'm with you AMYBR the number of times you catch a piece of it and end up playing poor kicker etc or the wrong end of the straight.

I know there are differing opinions on many aspects of this wonderful game but in general I do not make up unless I know I can out play the others post flop... and out of position that can be rather difficult.