You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

did i play this badly or am i results orientated.

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
squashpro1 Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £8.20
topchip Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £7.04
 Your hole cards
  • K

spursutd Call  £0.08 £0.20 £7.28
notme389 Raise  £0.16 £0.36 £5.54
fmob Call  £0.16 £0.52 £2.45
The_Don90 Call  £0.16 £0.68 £12.57
squashpro1 Fold     
topchip Fold     
spursutd Call  £0.08 £0.76 £7.20
Flop

spursutd Check     
notme389 Bet  £0.76 £1.52 £4.78
fmob Call  £0.76 £2.28 £1.69
The_Don90 Raise  £3.04 £5.32 £9.53
spursutd Fold     
notme389 Call  £2.28 £7.60 £2.50
fmob All-in  £1.69 £9.29 £0.00
Turn

notme389 Bet  £0.56 £9.85 £1.94
The_Don90 All-in  £9.53 £19.38 £0.00
notme389 All-in  £1.94 £21.32 £0.00
The_Don90 Unmatched bet  £7.03 £14.29 £7.03
notme389 Show

fmob Show
  • A

The_Don90 Show
  • K

River

• Q

notme389 Win Two Pairs, 10s and 7s £13.21  £13.21

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Givem their stack sizes and opening bet I'm just going to get it in on flop.
  • edited November 2011
    fold pre??

Seems alright post if u want to gamble! but with ure BR i might be tempted to peel 1 on the flop
  • edited November 2011
    what a mess lol

fold pre, call flop, u dont have the world calm down!
  • edited November 2011
    same as lynx to be fair mate, maybe i would see the flop depending how the table was playing, no reason why you cant flat the flop and reassess the turn.
  • edited November 2011
    just call flop...there is a lot that hits that flop and plenty you can be drawing dead against on the turn.
  • edited November 2011
    Yep disciplined fold pre would be better.

Flop don't see the point in raising as you have zero fold equity against a player who has bet pot and then someone who's called that bet and most the equity is when you can make them fold sometimes but here you kinda know it's always going in plus you don't even have nut flush draw.

Also like what someone said about the smaller BR and trying to limit variance, these spots are not tilted very much in your favour at all and you know you're basically flipping against most that calls and I personally don't think you need that risk right now.
  • edited November 2011
    not folding pre

flat flop readless

Turn shove is pointless imo, what were you hoping to acheive
  • edited November 2011
    Yeah folding pre is far to nitty IMO.  Hate flatting flop, happier making a commiting raise, but thats just me.  Dont like the idea of calling pot on flop to fold blank river.  Would rather just fold flop (which is doubtful).

Sorry just looked again, you do raise flop.  This is fine IMO.  Its a pure flip, where you make the last meaningful bet, being most important.

If rolled for level (which I know you are) I do the same.
  • edited November 2011
    Either 3 betting or flatting pre, depending on my mood, what gear I'm in, how the table is playing etc.

Getting it in on the flop.  Two overs, 2nd nut flush draw and a gutshot?  That flop has me excited in a naughty way.
  • edited November 2011
    I dont like the semi bluff all in when your drawing to a flush draw on a paired board IMO
  • edited November 2011
    Only bit I don't like is the shove on the end, but give strack sizes you're not going to fold when he shoves so I don't think you've done much wrong here.

I think I'd have played it much the same (not that that should be much conselation).
  • edited November 2011
    shove on turn is really bad imo, flat and save 24BB when you miss
  • edited November 2011
    Fold pre.

Call on flop is fine

Shove on the turn is horrendous move.
  • edited November 2011
    Once you've made the committing bet on flop, you pretty much have to shove turn, given their stacks.  So it isnt essentialy bad.  This is simple.  You know it bud

His flat on flop for 50% is the bad line.  He shoves here you call.  Hit or miss you just move on.  It gets grim due to his flat on flop.

It would be bad putting yourself in a weird math/odds spot by flatting flop, sigh folding brick turn (when you've payed pot on flop).
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: did i play this badly or am i results orientated.:
    Once you've made the committing bet on flop, you pretty much have to shove turn, given their stacks.  So it isnt essentialy bad.  This is simple.  You know it bud His flat on flop for 50% is the bad line.  He shoves here you call.  Hit or miss you just move on.  It gets grim due to his flat on turn. It would be bad putting yourself in a weird math/odds spot by flatting flop, sigh folding brick turn (when you've payed pot on flop).
    Posted by AMYBR
    I completely agree with this, the flop bet was committing so the rest is pretty irrelevant, you can't check fold the turn given his remaining stack so you may as well shove.  If you'd opted to just shove the flop (which would not be a bad move) the whole debate goes away.
  • edited November 2011
    Once you've made the committing bet on flop, you pretty much have to shove turn, given their stacks.  So it isnt essentialy bad.  This is simple.  You know it bud His flat on flop for 50% is the bad line.  He shoves here you call.  Hit or miss you just move on.  It gets grim due to his flat on flop. It would be bad putting yourself in a weird math/odds spot by flatting flop, sigh folding brick turn (when you've payed pot on flop).
    Posted by AMYBR
    1. On flop I think its pretty close between raising and shoving. I think myself calling will be more profitable in general, but Im open to being convinced otherwise. Just because we might fold turn sometimes doesnt mean raising is better than calling

2. Just because me made a bet on flop that means we cant fold turn doesnt mean we should raise. Our only concern on turn is how to play the hand best with stacks and pot situation as it is. Explain why raising turn is better than calling, because to my mind raising is really bad on turn and its not simple to me that we should be shoving
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: did i play this badly or am i results orientated. : I completely agree with this, the flop bet was committing so the rest is pretty irrelevant, you can't check fold the turn given his remaining stack so you may as well shove.  If you'd opted to just shove the flop (which would not be a bad move) the whole debate goes away.
    Posted by Slykllist
    There is a third option other than folding or shoving turn, and it seems far better than shoving to me
  • edited November 2011
    Exactly Skylist.

Anyone who says shove on turn is bad may need to look at stacksizes/potsize @ turn again.

This means you grantorino :P
  • edited November 2011
    Exactly. Anyone who says shove on turn is bad may need to look at stacksizes/potsize @ turn again. This means you grantorino :P
    Posted by AMYBR
    For once answer the question

Why would shoving turn be better than calling turn?
  • edited November 2011
    For once answer the question???? Wow.

I think most people would agree I cover pretty much most angles in my posts, perhaps too much.

Are we really happy flatting, making a pot of 10.41 to c/f river when opponent has 1.94 back and we brick.

Once we build pot to this size going to turn. given stack sizes and hand, money is going in regardless.  To argue otherwise is petty tbh bud.

Just because opponent plays his hand and stack badly doesnt mean we have to.

Name dropping you was meant to be a giggle.  I apologise
  • edited November 2011
    For once answer the question???? Wow. I think most people would agree I cover pretty much most angles in my posts, perhaps too much. Are we really happy flatting, making a pot of 10.41 to c/f river when opponent has 1.94 back and we brick. Once we build pot to this size going to turn. given stack sizes and hand, money is going in regardless.  To argue otherwise is petty tbh bud. Just because opponent plays his hand and stack badly doesnt mean we have to. Name dropping you was meant to be a giggle.  I apologise
    Posted by AMYBR
    No problem with the name drop. But I did read the stacksizes

To the first bolded part yes, I am delighted to call turn and c/f river when i miss. Why would I put in more money than I have to with K high and no fold equity?

Why is argueing that calling is better than folding petty? To my mind its very likely villain stacks of anyway when we hit and we save 24BB when we miss. Thats why I would flat, its nothing to do with being petty
  • edited November 2011
    If we are in the habit of putting ourselves in bad spots and tilting ourselves then what you say makes sense.

We could keep it back.

But we are playing pay to hit poker.

Yes he is never folding. 

But once the pot is this size, with opponents stack this size, do we rally want a tricky decision on river?  The most straightforward way to play this pot, once he has made the stacksize error on flop, is to get it in on turn.  Outcome regardless.

We are just happy auto folding brick river then?  You watch that hand play out from the rail and I assure you'll be insulting the K10 when it mucks the river every time.  We are checking back his river check on a brick also (that he opts not to bet), ? (which there will be many)

Really grantorino... shocked at your POV here.
  • edited November 2011
    how is it a tricky spot on the river? we make a straight or better we call, if we dont we fold, its usper simple.

we should only raise the turn if he is going to call with worse or fold
  • edited November 2011
    If he doesnt bet? If he makes another 5% pot bet as he does on turn?

We want to be in this spot?  Where we have to check back give up or fold for 60p into £11?
  • edited November 2011
    If we are in the habit of putting ourselves in bad spots and tilting ourselves then what you say makes sense. We could keep it back. But we are playing pay to hit poker. Yes he is never folding.  But once the pot is this size, with opponents stack this size, do we rally want a tricky decision on river?  The most straightforward way to play this pot, once he has made the stacksize error on flop, is to get it in on turn.  Outcome regardless. We are just happy auto folding brick river then?  You watch that hand play out from the rail and I assure you'll be insulting the K10 when it mucks the river every time.  We are checking back his river check on a brick also (that he opts not to bet), ? (which there will be many) Really grantorino... shocked at your POV here.
    Posted by AMYBR
    Fair enough if you are shocked but my view would be:

What has tilt got to do with it, and also I dont see what bad spot we put ourselves in. If I miss and fold, it wouldnt generally tilt me. Certainly would tilt me less than when I shove he calls with middle pair no kicker and holds

Playing pay to hit is fine imo when you are given good odds to hit

I dont see how calling turn to fold when we miss river is anything but straightforward

If he checks river we miss, yeah I prob check back. I dont trust anyone who plays a hand like that to fold A hi or better. Also how do you know he checks lots of rivers when he bets turn. Even if he does why shove turn if he is never folding?

As regards our KT being good on river unimproved, not enough to call it off given there is a third player playing for a good chunk of the pot imo. Maybe if he bets really really small. But I dont see why playing like that is worse than shoving turn to avoid a decision. If we think he folds a better range or calls off with a worse range then obv shoving turn is fine 
  • edited November 2011
    The fault in this hand is his 50% stack call on flop, lead 5% of pot oop on turn.

His decisions on every street are wrong.  Wouldnt surprise me if he'd min bet river when we flat turn.

Yes an argument can be made to fold river when we brick.

But is this the scenario we want?  Do we want to leave it to this with two perceived overs 2nd nut flush draw and gut shot?

Particularly when opponent has 70% of his stack invested?

Because of his stack size error we are happy just giving up on a 130bb pot with his 24bbs behind?  We are happy to flat turn to fold river?  with perceived overs 2nut draw and gutshot.  We miss and just give it up?  Especially when there's a strong chance that he checks oop or makes a tiny bet on river?

I do get your point of view.  His stack size mistake allows us to save 24 bigs when we miss.  But when we generate a 176BB pot is it worth it?  Is is worth getting into a ridic mess on river?

I would argue no.
  • edited November 2011

Hi Dom
    Raise pre flop and pot bet on that flop I would think Overpair or set. Over pair is 50 50 and against a set your 2/1 dog. If i'm raising the flop here its an all in bet for some fold equity. But I think the right play would be to call and fold the turn. Odds on calling the flop are good enough if you hit the turn and get a couple of bets in on the turn and river.

• edited November 2011
    Seems like a fairly standard hand.
    Don't like the turn shove as you're just putting money into a side pot when you're definitely behind.
    It's a simple 'just call' and bink. If not, easy fold.