You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I know this has been discussed before but...

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I can consistently beat NL4 cash. I have built a bankroll at this level and I am trying to move up the stakes.

However, I am consistently ANNIHILATED at NL8.

At NL8, I can amble along, winning several modest pots, but whenever I get involved in a large pot, 90% of the time I seem to lose.

e.g. I flop the nut flush, and lose to the full house by the river.
I flop my set, I inevitably lose the a flush.

Of course, I don't always suck out, but when I don't, I never seem to be able to get paid.

I'm actually getting quite depressed. It makes we want to give up entirely. When playing NL4 I was making a nice, consistent profit. I feel like I should be able to move up but I am getting slaughtered at NL8.

It just seems that at NL8, whenever my opponent's chips go in, they've got the nuts, or at least have me beat.

Any advice?

Comments

• edited November 2011
    I think this is clearly a mental issue now, there must be something you are doing different at 8nl.

The key to nl8 is to find the easy money fast and avoid getting into conflicts with players you think have a half decent grasp of the game.

Can only suggest things such as problems letting go of marginal holdings, playing poorly position wise, not targeting the weaker players enough.

Also is this is really that much of an issue, just grind 4nl till you are comfortable to try 10nl, if you are as consistant as you say you are at 4nl, then this would be the best route to take.
  • edited November 2011
    All about table selection really, if you get that right you'll be on tables with awful players and overtime the money will flood in Of course you get beats like at NL4, surely you had losing periods down there as well? At NL8 the beats hurt twice as much but if you have proper BRM then each beat should be a small percentage of your roll therefore it shouldn't hurt that much.
  • edited November 2011
    i agree with ncolley here i think it is a mental thing, there really is no difference in play between the 2 levels. any time you move up a level our expectations change, our perception of players abilities change and on the whole our game tightens up. dudes right at nl8 you will have the odd reg playing on tables , learn who they are and try and avoid them to start with. there is plenty of easy money if you look for it. remember you are going to have to repeat this process over and over again as you move up to nl10/20. gl phil
  • edited November 2011
    Try moving up when you're playing/running well at NL4 rather than only moving up once you've hit a certain bankroll ammount. This way you're confidence will be up rather than being negative in your play.

Also try opening a couple of nl8 tables whilst you're playing NL4 and watch the players and takes lots of notes for future reference.

• edited November 2011
    Table selection, you play v equals then you hit coolers - simples

Every new player is a reg until proven otherwise
    Identify the regs first, then everyone else is value

Don't play v regs, isolate the value/weak players and play pots with
    If you have 1 reg on your table then it's fine, but don't try and outplay them for the sake of it :s
    Identify the players you want to play pots with
    No level is as easy as NL4, because there are tonnes of weak value

You may not be the best player at the table but as long as there's one player you can win money from, then your laughing )

• edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: I know this has been discussed before but...:
    Try moving up when you're playing/running well at NL4 rather than only moving up once you've hit a certain bankroll ammount. This way you're confidence will be up rather than being negative in your play. Also try opening a couple of nl8 tables whilst you're playing NL4 and watch the players and takes lots of notes for future reference.
    Posted by AcidMan27
    Like the 2nd part of this post alot , believe me scouting is a great way to get used to plays , players etc at the higher levels , i mainly play nl10/nl20 but when i tread into nl30/nl40 and even nl50/nl100 i still have a decent amount of notes to help me along.
  • edited November 2011
    when you tread in nl50/100 debs your drunk!!!! :-)