You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why do I keep making these mistakes?

edited November 2011 in The Poker Clinic
I'm playing really well right now, running deep in alot of tournaments and I know my game is pretty solid but I keep making stupid mistakes like this.  I'm sure others have been here and experienced similar, I honestly think I get over this and I will start to win serious money.

It's always at a similar stage of a tournament where the blinds start to catch up on the stacks and you feel like you have to start to get active, for me it's generally that 10BB stage, advice would be massively appreciated.

This is just an example, but was my exit in 9th place in a BH tonight.  The reason I shoved is - I can't believe he's limped into me with an A.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
extraman Small blind  500.00 500.00 22167.00
Slykllist Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 11122.00
  Your hole cards
  • K

badboy133 Fold     
wormman Fold     
extraman Call  500.00 2000.00 21667.00
Slykllist Check     
Flop

• A

extraman Bet  2000.00 4000.00 19667.00
Slykllist All-in  11122.00 15122.00 0.00
extraman Call  9122.00 24244.00 10545.00
extraman Show
  • A

Slykllist Show
  • K

Turn

River

extraman Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s 24244.00  34789.00

Comments

• edited November 2011
    It's just soul destroying to play so well and throw it away like this, I truly thought I was gonna win this one tonight!
  • edited November 2011
    sigh , why cant ya ever play like this with me on ure table ;))
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do I keep making these mistakes?:
    sigh , why cant ya ever play like this with me on ure table ;))
    Posted by debdobs_67
    Honestly mate, I'm feeling so bad about my play tonight, the worst I've felt in a long, long time.  I know I'm good enough to win these tourneys and it's frustrating the **** out of me that I'm not doing it.

Wierdly, it's only a problem online, my endgame is fine when I'm playing live.
  • edited November 2011
    In Response to Re: Why do I keep making these mistakes?:
    In Response to Re: Why do I keep making these mistakes? : Honestly mate, I'm feeling so bad about my play tonight, the worst I've felt in a long, long time.  I know I'm good enough to win these tourneys and it's frustrating the **** out of me that I'm not doing it. Wierdly, it's only a problem online, my endgame is fine when I'm playing live.
    Posted by Slykllist
    Ive sat with ya a fair bit in the DTD and my notes say ure a very solid player , dont beat ureself up , nobody can play perfect all of the time xx
  • edited November 2011
    Thing is bud, just because he has a hand, do we really class it as a mistake?

Nothing wrong with aggression and putting opponent to test.  I'd be hard pushed to call A no Kicker here.

Yes in this spot he had it. 

You held to your read and based your play upon it.  Although he had it here (and opted to call) doesnt really make it wrong.

Tournaments are won in different ways.  If trusting your reads and instincts got you this far, results aside, we cant really say your move is wrong.
  • edited November 2011

The amount of times I get sucked in when a player limps and makes tiny bets at that stage of a tournament. Now if someone limps at that stage and then makes a silly flop bet alarm bells ring.
    Maybe he thought if you had an ace you would raise smaller wanting value from your hand, but still a big call. But you felt he had nothing and had the coconuts to make the move. Can't knock that. Thats the play thats gonna win you tournament after tournament.

• edited November 2011

I would nearly always shove pre, reads would help in all decisions here though

Anyone limps Ax is never folding when they lead pot and we shove over it. I would just fold to flop bet tbh, we dont rep an A or a 4 too well if we raise- he may call with some pocket pairs or better Kx, but its not the worst move ever. If you do want to continue I think floating is nearly always a better option on this kind of board ip