You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ridiculously unlucky

edited October 2009 in Poker Chat
This was in last nights double stack tourney - i was not happy.

Player
ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
wemjay Small blind  50.00 50.00 8175.00
RichiSwift Big blind  100.00 150.00 6270.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

daiee All-in  2580.00 2730.00 0.00
Steve_d Fold     
yidsrgr8 Fold     
JIM_JONES Fold     
wemjay Call  2530.00 5260.00 5645.00
RichiSwift All-in  6270.00 11530.00 0.00
wemjay Call  3790.00 15320.00 1855.00
wemjay Show
  • J
  • Q

RichiSwift Show
  • K
  • K

daiee Show
  • A

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• J

wemjay Win Two Pairs, Queens and Jacks 15320.00  17175.00

Comments

• edited October 2009
    i recentley started a discussion saying kings suck, i had 6 in 1 day, didnt win a single hand it them.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: ridiculously unlucky:
    i recentley started a discussion saying kings suck, i had 6 in 1 day, didnt win a single hand it them.
    Posted by nirvana29
    I know I played it correctly but it hurts.
  • edited October 2009
    Ouch.........Can't say anything else except very very unlucky.
  • edited October 2009
    Just variance. It hurts but most of the time you will win here. Keep you chin up and keep on playing same.
  • edited October 2009
    Always hurts Richi, and i bet you still can't understand why JQoff came along for the ride can you. Obviously i could go on about the amount of times you will win this type of hand but i'm sure you know all that so i won't. that's just the way some people play, it happens to us all and we do the same to others as well. It sucks, but it's part of the beauty of the game. Good luck next time
  • edited October 2009
    i agree with grimstar!
  • edited October 2009

Here's a genuine, but potentially controversial opinion for you...

I've been reading some of these posts, and studying these hand pictograms with great interest recently (including Webby's posts). The question that really occurs to me, is this: Is anybody out there simply 'raising' these days, or is the 'all-in' move becoming ubiquitous?

By the looks of a lot of these hands, it seems like many of us are playing free games, or Zynga Poker on Facebook... in other words, it's as though the money and the chips don't matter that much. I'm not trying to be flippant here, or start an argument. My point is genuine: Isn't it a lot better to be attempting to play a more sophisticated game, where you're not putting your entire bankroll or tournament life on the line, on something that can ultimately end up being a coin flip... Even if you do start the hand as a theoretical 86% favourite?

If you employ a standard raise, and then use good old fashioned skill, judgement and psychology to feel your way through the rest of the various streets, it's possible that you could work out that you're behind before losing the lot. Yes, this leaves you to make a big, painful lay down, but on the positive side, the damage is limited, and you live to fight another day – and find a better spot. 

I get so much more enjoyment out of the game when I'm using my brain more than I'm using my arms.

It strikes me that many people are trying to avoid making later decisions, by attempting to wrap the whole thing up before a single community card is dealt.

Discuss.

• edited October 2009
    I think the main problem with people posting these hand reviews on the forum is we are giving the fish a chance to improve their game.  If I have KK and am getting all in plays from A7 & JQ I sure as heck don't want those players to change their game one little bit as in the long term I am going to take their chips more often than they take mine.
  • edited October 2009
    In Response to Re: ridiculously unlucky:
    I think the main problem with people posting these hand reviews on the forum is we are giving the fish a chance to improve their game.  If I have KK and am getting all in plays from A7 & JQ I sure as heck don't want those players to change their game one little bit as in the long term I am going to take their chips more often than they take mine.
    Posted by Kiwini4u

...Whilst I'm in a contrary mood, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that sentiment for two reasons, Kiwini4u:

1. To me, this sharing attitude is what makes this whole community and forum so vibrant. We all love the game, and by constant debate and banter, we all get more and more out of Poker. That's got to be good.

2. Believe it or not, I think it would be quite boring to be the best player at anything. Call me perverted, but in any sport or game I've ever participated in, I've constantly sought out opponents that are better than me. If I don't encounter these people; my game goes stale and I never improve. 

If I never improve, I don't continually discover fresh ideas that can enrich the entire experience.

Anyway, the kinds of people that call an all-in with Jack Queen are unlikely to be able to read, so we're pretty safe.